Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-22-2022, 10:42 PM   #46
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by codychan View Post
Specifying different fonts in css won't work in kobo device, the fonts in css will fallback to kobo builtin fonts. So at most two fonts are available when you read book on kobo device, one is fallback font, one is the chosen font from the font dropdown list.

The multiple-font feature doesn't work anymore since the font part was rewritten in new firmware(since 4.32 if I remembered correctly)
As far as I know, the only "multiple-font feature" needs you to choose "Publisher Default". Any other choose will override all fonts specified in the book. The fallbacks are used to try and find missing characters in the selected font. With "Publisher Default" it should use whatever fonts are in the book and specified in the CSS. And I would have said that still worked. The main place I see it is with chapter titles, and I haven't noticed any changes with those.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 04:36 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
Where does this advertisement appear? In the Home screen? I have yet to see one on mine. What does it look like?
@DrChiper can you please answer this about the KoboPlus advert? Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2022, 04:37 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You should get that once. When it is shown, it should set an entry in the config file. If that isn't happening, it might show again. It should happen once when navigating to the home screen.
What is the entry in the config file to not show the advert? Thanks.
Old 07-23-2022, 04:46 AM   #49
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
This is expected. The release notes are downloaded to the device when the update is downloaded. Manually applying the update means that doesn't happen.
Ok, so I guess this is the penalty for being an advance FW adaptor. I can live with that
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 04:47 AM   #50
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@DrChiper can you please answer this about the KoboPlus advert? Thanks.
In my case it appeared on the page I was currently reading. No idea if it can happen also on the home page.
Advert
Old 07-23-2022, 04:58 AM   #51
DrChiper
Bookish

Quote:
The circle show whatever text was between your fingers when you do the pinch. If there is nothing there, nothing will be shown. And if the text is off-centre, as the size gets bigger it can drift out of the circle.
Sounds reasonable. Pinching is by no means a very accurate positioning gesture, especially when you have big fingers, so I guess the results will vary from person to person. What I miss is the resulting dimension (as a value) of the new font size. You also won't get that on using the default menu option. I know: you can find out that in the resulting kobo config file, but "normal" users wouldn't know that.
A quick inspection of the Libra 2 user manual revealed that the "pinch"-feature is not yet documented there. Something to remind the developers about.
Old 07-23-2022, 05:02 AM   #52
DrChiper
Bookish

Quote:
You should get that once. When it is shown, it should set an entry in the config file. If that isn't happening, it might show again. It should happen once when navigating to the home screen.
As it is not documented anywhere, and assumptions can be deadly (see discussions about the LED-light elsewhere ) it is good to have some "inside" knowledge. I can live with this one-time appearance.
Old 07-23-2022, 12:54 PM   #53
PetBest
PetBest began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I got also one advertisement...pretty shocking. I want to decide myself if I want advertisrments This is my own paid hardware!!
Suppose you buy a car with navigation and the nav.screen is interrupted with those stupid advertisements. Grrr.I DO NOT WANT THAT!!
PetBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 12:56 PM   #54
PetBest
PetBest began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Time to add these Kobo URLs in the adblocker files to kick these things out. The EU commision should put an end to this sick making behaviour.
PetBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 01:06 PM   #55
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is the entry in the config file to not show the advert? Thanks.
Maybe this? I'm not actually sure; I haven't seen it myself, was just looking through the firmware.

Code:
[DialogSettings]
KoboPlusUpgradeBannerShown=true
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 01:20 PM   #56
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Make sure each and every one of us let Kobo know what we think about adverts. If there is enough initial pushback, they may reconsider.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 02:10 PM   #57
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Random drive-by comment re: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=54

No kernel update since the one from 4.33.19611, and I can still reproduce this in Nickel .

On the upside, this new version introduced hints of ongoing work with another OEM, so, all hail our potentially new overlords, and let's hope for less buggy kernels there ;o).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 10:45 AM   #58
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetBest View Post
I got also one advertisement...pretty shocking. I want to decide myself if I want advertisrments This is my own paid hardware!!
Suppose you buy a car with navigation and the nav.screen is interrupted with those stupid advertisements. Grrr.I DO NOT WANT THAT!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetBest View Post
Time to add these Kobo URLs in the adblocker files to kick these things out. The EU commision should put an end to this sick making behaviour.
It's a single ad shown once, directly related to the device it's shown on, and of potential interest to the user holding the device.

Hardly anything malicious, or terrible. Were Kobo to start advertising for unrelated things, or show the ad at a greater frequency sure then I'd be annoyed. But your cure is potentially worse than the disease.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:25 PM   #59
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Provided you keep reading that PDF. When switching to another book and back, the zooming setting is gone
hahahahaha are you kidding me? sometimes it feels like Kobo is being incompetent on purpose. for a moment I almost considered booting into Nickel.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:37 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I have installed the 4.3319759 earlier today and then the patches, So far, I've not seen this advert. I did not edit the config to turn off the advert. I do have WiFi off if that matters.

Tags
firmware, firmware release