Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-29-2022, 10:18 AM   #1
Lykke
Groupie
Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Post Adjusting word spacing for justified text – kepub

I notice that the word spacing for justified text while reading kepub is noticably larger than for epub. Not so much for English, but very noticeable when reading Norwegian ebooks (also with a hyphenation dictionary installed). Is it possible to reduce the word spacing somehow? (For some reason Norwegian books will only justify for kepub, not epub).
Lykke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 11:15 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lykke View Post
I notice that the word spacing for justified text while reading kepub is noticably larger than for epub. Not so much for English, but very noticeable when reading Norwegian ebooks (also with a hyphenation dictionary installed). Is it possible to reduce the word spacing somehow? (For some reason Norwegian books will only justify for kepub, not epub).
There's a patch "KePub stylesheet additions - optimizeSpeed". It seems to help a bit. It disables ligatures/kerning, but fixes some rendering problems that affect fully justified text in kepubs.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2022, 11:51 AM   #3
Lykke
Groupie
Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Oh thanks, that does seem to eliminate the worst of it.
Old 04-29-2022, 12:35 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I use "Set KePub hyphenation" along with a hyphenation dictionary, which then lets me keep ligatures/kerning by activating "KePub stylesheet additions - optimizeLegibility"

Works for me in English. Your Norwegian miles may vary.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 03:34 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use the OptimizeSpeed patch myself. I hate hyphenation, and care nothing about kerning/ligatures. Too large spaces between words do bother me.

And no, I wouldn't left-align my text if my life depended on it.
Advert
Old 04-29-2022, 03:57 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
There's a patch "KePub stylesheet additions - optimizeSpeed". It seems to help a bit. It disables ligatures/kerning, but fixes some rendering problems that affect fully justified text in kepubs.
But that also makes the words not as nice to read.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 03:58 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Read in ePub for better typesetting. KePub just does not do nearly as well.
Old 04-29-2022, 03:59 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I use the OptimizeSpeed patch myself. I hate hyphenation, and care nothing about kerning/ligatures. Too large spaces between words do bother me.

And no, I wouldn't left-align my text if my life depended on it.
WOW! You right algin your text? That's going to be really awful to read a book that way.
Old 04-29-2022, 04:02 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Personally, I do like to read with justified text and hyphenation. That's why I created some better hyphenation dictionaries for Kobo and they do work better then the ones that come with with the firmware.

Better hyphenation dictionaries
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=252405
Old 04-29-2022, 04:18 PM   #10
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I use "Set KePub hyphenation" along with a hyphenation dictionary, which then lets me keep ligatures/kerning by activating "KePub stylesheet additions - optimizeLegibility"

This in addition to using bookerly has virtually eliminated weird spacing for me on a Sage. Though I use the kobo config file method not patching to get legibility.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 04:41 PM   #11
Lykke
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Read in ePub for better typesetting. KePub just does not do nearly as well.
I probably should, but then I'd have to edit the CSS of every Norwegian ebook, replacing 'text-align: left' to 'text-align: justify' because for some reason, virtually all Norwegian publishers choose to left-align the text in their ebooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

Thanks, that does make it look better. The remaining 'pain' point seems to be the rather limited Norwegian hyphenation dictionary I installed. I just made it from Libreoffice's Hunspell dictionary. But at least it looks OK now. I might post it in JSWolf's thread later.
Old 04-29-2022, 04:52 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I probably should, but then I'd have to edit the CSS of every Norwegian ebook, replacing 'text-align: left' to 'text-align: justify' because for some reason, virtually all Norwegian publishers choose to left-align the text in their ebooks.

Thanks, that does make it look better. The remaining 'pain' point seems to be the rather limited Norwegian hyphenation dictionary I installed. I just made it from Libreoffice's Hunspell dictionary. But at least it looks OK now. I might post it in JSWolf's thread later.
If you find your hyphenation dictionary works well enough, please PM me a link to download it. If it's going to be posted in the Better Hyphenation thread, it should go in the first post otherwise, it may not be found if someone looking does not read the entire thread.
Old 04-29-2022, 05:07 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
WOW! You right algin your text? That's going to be really awful to read a book that way.
You know what I meant perfectly well, no need to be sarcastic.
Old 04-29-2022, 05:12 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But that also makes the words not as nice to read.
Hyphenation and huge word spacing are worse than no kerning/ligatures. IMHO, of course.

As to Bookerly, never could stand it. But the optimizeSpeed patch has reduced the weird spacing even in kepubs with fully justified and non-hyphenated text on my Sage. As to the smaller screen of the Libra 2, I read mostly epubs there, so the issue doesn't exist.
Old 04-29-2022, 05:31 PM   #15
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Hyphenation and huge word spacing are worse than no kerning/ligatures. IMHO, of course.

As to Bookerly, never could stand it. But the optimizeSpeed patch has reduced the weird spacing even in kepubs with fully justified and non-hyphenated text on my Sage. As to the smaller screen of the Libra 2, I read mostly epubs there, so the issue doesn't exist.
I used to not like bookerly compared to Literata, Minion, or Bitter. Not sure if Amazon tweaked it or I just changed, but it looks good and lets me get more lines per page (because we know a screen is a page right Jon?).
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote