Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you buy one of the new Kobos?
I bought one of the new Kobos 92 43.40%
I bought both of the new Kobos 10 4.72%
I haven't bought yet, but I'm planning to 16 7.55%
I might buy, but I'm not sure yet 21 9.91%
I'm waiting for the price to drop 8 3.77%
There's something I don't like about them, so probably no 13 6.13%
I'm not interested in them 7 3.30%
My current readers are fine, so no 51 24.06%
I bought one, but returned it, because it was defective 1 0.47%
I bought one, but returned it, because I didn't like it 3 1.42%
I prefer another brand of ereaders 4 1.89%
I don't use eink 0 0%
The blue one next to the fish 6 2.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2021, 07:17 AM   #61
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
Since you're the one disputing the established research, the responsibility is on YOU to offer evidence contradicting the data, for the same reason the burden of proof is on those don't believe in the efficacy of vaccines (for example) to prove their case.
PLEASE do me the courtesy of reading what I write before replying to it.

I did not "dispute the established data", I asked you to provide it. You said "there's a ton of research" and "it's well-established" and provided exactly ZERO proof of the truth of those two assertions. Simply SAYING "there's a ton of research" and "it's well-established" is not actually proof.

I also did NOT "claim that ownership is an asst to objectivity" - in fact I explicitly conceded that it can be an impediment thereto. Finally, those organizations which do "independent tests" actually do OWN the models they test, at least of devices like ereaders, so according to your argument, they suffer the same impediment to objectivity

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 11-10-2021 at 07:20 AM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:57 AM   #62
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Since you're the one disputing the established research, the responsibility is on YOU to offer evidence contradicting the data, for the same reason the burden of proof is on those don't believe in the efficacy of vaccines (for example) to prove their case.

Actually in this case you’re the anti vaxxer claiming there’s tons of evidence to support your claim yet providing none. Using a kernel of truth, that people are more likely to defend a purchase, to purport that ownership is always an impediment to objectively reviewing a product.

You also casually dismiss the reviewers (who you claim are the best sources) who have made claims counter to your own.

I would agree that reviewers who are just given products with no incentive or money exchanged make for the best source of information on the product. However I’d say most people on MR who buy ereaders are a very close second.

Those who don’t own the device and are only going off a data sheet are pretty much replaceable with that data sheet. It’s fine to speculate on the data sheet when the product isn’t available, but once anyone of the general public can get the device the value of information from the data sheet goes down.

To that last point the data sheet for the Sage says it only supports Kobo audiobooks but we’ve found you can load your own and have some playability. It didn’t clearly specify what formats you can note take in, specifically side loaded kepub can not be annotated with the stylus without patching. The weight is higher but it doesn’t tell you how it’ll feel in your hand.

Oh and should you want to see the reviewers you can look through the Sage Opinions thread there’s a decent amount of YouTube videos there including one 70 minute deep dive which I think is a bit excessive personally but it’s there for you if you’d like to actually inform yourself beyond a data sheet and gross speculation that an antenna is the sole culprit in the extra weight.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2021, 09:57 AM   #63
Krios
Zealot
Krios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five words

Device: Bookeen Odyssey FrontLight 2, Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
And I'm fairly sure they dropped the Mobius screen for good reasons.
If you mean uneven frontlight and strip on the side, it doesn't have to be that way, i used Inkpad X (10" Mobius screen) for a few days, and it doesn't have any problems that Forma has, frontlight is even, no grey strip, contrast is similar to Inkpad 3.
Krios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:32 PM   #64
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
I bought the two new Kobo eBook readers (Kobo Sage and Kobo Libra 2). I am super satisfied with both of them. They have a crisp display and sharp writing. The handling works 1A.
Martina Schein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 12:52 PM   #65
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I was notified by Amazon.fr today that the Libra 2 is expected to be in stock on November 23.

No date on the Sage power cover yet.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2021, 04:01 PM   #66
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I was notified by Amazon.fr today that the Libra 2 is expected to be in stock on November 23.

No date on the Sage power cover yet.
Thanks. Maybe the UK Amazon will have them then too.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 04:17 PM   #67
CAFlanny
Connoisseur
CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Meebook P78 Pro, Kindles: PW5, Voyage, & Keyboard
I chose "My current ereaders are fine...". I bought my Libra H2O in May, so I'm not ready to upgrade yet. USB-C and bluetooth would be nice, but not worth it.
CAFlanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:51 PM   #68
martinot
Swedish Kobo User
martinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 11, iPad mini 6

Last edited by martinot; 11-11-2021 at 06:54 PM.
martinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:53 PM   #69
martinot
Swedish Kobo User
martinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 11, iPad mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I did sell my Oasis 2, PW4, and trade in an older Kindle Touch. Managed to get the Oasis 3 for zero. Really pleased with it. Made up for my Sage disappointment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I think most people know about my Sage experience. Ironically Kobo have refunded me but not yet sent me a label to send it back. I have ordered a Libra 2 via Amazon, it’s not in stock but I’m in no hurry.
What did you not like with the Sage?
martinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:15 PM   #70
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinot View Post
Their Sages LEDs were rather off in color, making the regular light very yellow even with the natural light at zero. Pictures can be found here
Old 11-12-2021, 07:25 AM   #71
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
PLEASE do me the courtesy of reading what I write before replying to it.

I did not "dispute the established data", I asked you to provide it. You said "there's a ton of research" and "it's well-established" and provided exactly ZERO proof of the truth of those two assertions. Simply SAYING "there's a ton of research" and "it's well-established" is not actually proof.

I also did NOT "claim that ownership is an asst to objectivity" - in fact I explicitly conceded that it can be an impediment thereto. Finally, those organizations which do "independent tests" actually do OWN the models they test, at least of devices like ereaders, so according to your argument, they suffer the same impediment to objectivity
I do read, but people have a lot of trouble understanding the implications of their statements.

I'm not going to digging up citations of well-established research on an internet message board. My time is more valuable than that. You even go so far as to suggest you acknowledged it (you didn't), thereby conceding the point.

It says everything about your avoidance of the substance of our disagreement that you would suggest independent reviewers like Consumer Reports own the devices they review and are subject to the same degree of bias as people here who often derive self-esteem from their self-perceived "expertise" about e-readers.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:30 AM   #72
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post

I would agree that reviewers who are just given products with no incentive or money exchanged make for the best source of information on the product. However I’d say most people on MR who buy ereaders are a very close second.
So you concede my point and the rest of your post is off-topic? Okay.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:18 AM   #73
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
So you concede my point and the rest of your post is off-topic? Okay.
So you’re incapable of providing any evidence to support your claim. And your opinion is based on less than either reviewers or owners, is based solely on text, so people should dismiss it as groundless. Okay.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:33 AM   #74
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinot View Post
My LEDs were yellow tinged with green. With no natural light.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 12:35 PM   #75
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
I do read, but people have a lot of trouble understanding the implications of their statements.

I'm not going to digging up citations of well-established research on an internet message board. My time is more valuable than that.
It says everything about your avoidance of the substance of our disagreement that you would suggest independent reviewers like Consumer Reports own the devices they review and are subject to the same degree of bias as people here who often derive self-esteem from their self-perceived "expertise" about e-readers.
So, YOUR time is too valuable to bother supporting assertions you make, therefore those who read your comments should just believe you uncritically for no other reasons than because YOU say something is so?

"the substance of our disagreement" is very simple: You made an assertion, I asked for proof of its validity, you have explicitly refused to provide it.

I did not "suggest" that independent review organizations own the devices they test, I know that least least some of them do. I know this because I have read descriptions of their purchase process and pleas for funding from some of them,funding they seek in order to buy products for testing purposes. The fact that many of such organizations test items to the point of destruction is also possible only because they bought and paid for them. They buy them, they own them. Ownership, you insist, is an impediment to objectivity. So by your argument they cannot be objective about the products they review because they own them.

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 11-12-2021 at 12:41 PM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote