Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you buy one of the new Kobos?
I bought one of the new Kobos 92 43.40%
I bought both of the new Kobos 10 4.72%
I haven't bought yet, but I'm planning to 16 7.55%
I might buy, but I'm not sure yet 21 9.91%
I'm waiting for the price to drop 8 3.77%
There's something I don't like about them, so probably no 13 6.13%
I'm not interested in them 7 3.30%
My current readers are fine, so no 51 24.06%
I bought one, but returned it, because it was defective 1 0.47%
I bought one, but returned it, because I didn't like it 3 1.42%
I prefer another brand of ereaders 4 1.89%
I don't use eink 0 0%
The blue one next to the fish 6 2.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2021, 03:36 PM   #1
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Did you buy one of the new Kobos (or do you plan to)?

As the new Kobos have generated lots of interest on MR, I'd like to make a poll about how many of our members have bought one or are planning to buy in the future.

It's just for fun, so please don't take it too seriously.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 04:16 PM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I think most people know about my Sage experience. Ironically Kobo have refunded me but not yet sent me a label to send it back. I have ordered a Libra 2 via Amazon, it’s not in stock but I’m in no hurry.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2021, 04:18 PM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I did sell my Oasis 2, PW4, and trade in an older Kindle Touch. Managed to get the Oasis 3 for zero. Really pleased with it. Made up for my Sage disappointment.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 04:25 PM   #4
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
I’m glad you enjoy the Oasis 3. That’s the one I gave to my mum and it’s my favorite of the recent Kindle (I didn’t like the Oasis 2 screen)
I’m more lucky than you and really enjoy the Sage. I ordered the Libra2 out of curiosity too and it’s a pretty solid option too.
I might end up keeping them both.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 04:38 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I did buy a new Clara on sale — but I guess that doesn't count as a "new" Kobo. I chose "There's something I don't like..." because (for me) the Sage is too big and I'm not a fan of the "square" shape of the Sage or Libra. Besides, I just like the size of 6" readers. But I was definitely interested in following the news about these models.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2021, 04:42 PM   #6
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I’ve got the Sage. Still reading with it a bit more before I write up a proper review, but I like it. My biggest concern going in was the battery life and it’s thus far outlasting my ability to read in several days, though I have been a bit busy with work and such. Otherwise rather pleased with it.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:04 PM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I voted for “My current readers are fine”* as telling most of the story, but also factoring in are my preference for oblong readers over squarish and the sticker shock regarding new devices. In fact, if the Forma got cheap enough I might fall for that, but the current sale price isn’t enough of a discount to spring for a discontinued device.

Unlike the days when new devices meant better resolution, a front light, comfort light, waterproofing, you catch my drift, relatively minor improvements don’t justify the outlay, for me, so long as what I’ve got still works.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:15 PM   #8
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
I ordered a Kindle PaperWhite 2021, by curiosity. Tried it. Sent it back.

I bought a Libra 2. Very happy with it. Just a bit heavier. I don't plan to use the Audio Books. I just like shiny new things. :-)
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:30 PM   #9
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
The Sage looks interesting, but the "orange" (piss yellow) light is not orange enough. Showstopper for me. And anyway, I'm not in the market at the moment. I have a perfectly functional 7.8" Onyx with a more orange light.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 11-07-2021 at 05:34 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:30 PM   #10
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I am happy enough with my Sage, which is just as well because on discovering that I had bought one my wife decided that my year old Libra H2O would henceforth be hers.:
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:45 PM   #11
polymerwitch
polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Very happy with my Libra 2. First dive back into ereaders after many years. These forums were a huge help in getting me going with a near perfect workflow between the Libra 2 and my library (DRM free ebooks, Calibre, KOReader, KOReader-Sync plugin for exporting highlights and metadata).
polymerwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:22 PM   #12
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I think most people know about my Sage experience. Ironically Kobo have refunded me but not yet sent me a label to send it back. I have ordered a Libra 2 via Amazon, it’s not in stock but I’m in no hurry.
Glad you got your refund quickly, Josie. The Oasis 3 is also a great e reader, I was using mine extensively until I got into Kobos last year

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:41 PM   #13
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I voted for “My current readers are fine”* as telling most of the story, but also factoring in are my preference for oblong readers over squarish and the sticker shock regarding new devices. In fact, if the Forma got cheap enough I might fall for that, but the current sale price isn’t enough of a discount to spring for a discontinued device.

Unlike the days when new devices meant better resolution, a front light, comfort light, waterproofing, you catch my drift, relatively minor improvements don’t justify the outlay, for me, so long as what I’ve got still works.
I also voted "my current readers are fine". I like the size and shape if my 6-inch readers. The only thing that really appeals to me about some of the newer readers is page turn buttons and I'm not going to fork out a bunch of money for that.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:50 PM   #14
spacepope
Zealot
spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 3, Smartphone
I was planning to stick with just my Libra H2O, but the Sage felt amazing in my hands at the store, so I decided to buy it. The pen was not in stock, so that is coming soon.

If it works out as a note taking device, I'm definitely keeping it. If not, I'll sell it (no relaxed return policies in Japan).

However, the Sage is way too big to be portable, so I am going to keep voraciously reading on my Libra H2O while out and about. I have no intention on getting the Libra 2 when my H2O is working fine and is, to me, basically the perfect device.

Edit: I sideloaded an English book and I have to admit, reading on the sage is rather luxurious... Delicious, delicious real estate. For Japanese reading though, I think I'm going to stick to my kindle... The lack of line spacing and margin sliders is really killing me. Considering Rakuten is a Japanese company, I thought they'd figure this out by now... But the ebook market in Japan is tiny and I suppose they have no incentive (digital manga, on the other hand, is a booming business).

Speaking of manga, it looks pretty glorious on the Sage! So maybe this is my sign to go read all those manga I've been putting off for too long

Last edited by spacepope; 11-07-2021 at 09:14 PM.
spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:42 PM   #15
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
I voted for “There's something I don't like about them, so probably no” but it’s actually closer to a definite no.

As far as I’m concerned the Forma is nearly perfect but instead of building on that Kobo is rushing off in other directions and probably abandoning the Forma line altogether – it doesn’t even show up in the dropdown list of ereaders on the first page of the website. After all the fanfare about the new light weight, less fragile screen, suddenly they don’t seem to think it’s a valuable feature anymore.

Much like Amazon with their vaunted new tiny Oasis with power cover. I hoped the next generation would have a bit more battery power in the Oasis itself, a less slippery surface so I could actually hold onto the thing without dropping it, and a cover that wouldn't keep losing connection to it but instead we got the massive Oasis 2.

I’m feeling old and grumpy about the state of tech right now. Lately it seems to be one step forward and two steps back for me.

My much loved and constantly used 2015 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0” has developed several problems recently and Samsung (along with every other Android tablet maker) has decided that nobody wants a high-end eight inch tablet now, never mind one with the 4:3 aspect ratio that the S2 has. I decided to break down and order a new Ipad mini, even though I’ve never had an interest in anything Apple. Naturally Apple decided, for the first time, to ditch the 4:3 mini shape. Further research brought the realization that unlike my wifi-only Samsung, which can use Google Maps navigation by tethering to my phone using my T-Mobile ten dollar monthly hot-spot add-on, only the considerably more expensive cellular model of the Ipad mini with its own twenty-five dollar a month plan could do the same. Despite the fact that the physical size is pretty similar to the Samsung, the mini is also about two ounces heavier. I did order one anyway, in desperation, but so far I kind of hate it. I’m sure part of it is just a learning curve, but not all of it. The screen, which at 8.3 inches is slightly bigger than my Samsung’s, seems half the size because it’s narrower. I downloaded the Apple version of an old Scrabble-type game I have on the Samsung and, because the screen is no longer squarish, the tiles are half the size (and apparently can’t be zoomed in on), and I’m a klutz. I don’t think Apple has even optimized the browser for the new proportions; a lot of websites look awful, with tiny text, and wide margins. Possibly there's some sort of reasonable workaround, but I haven't found it yet. I could return it, but then what, nothing out there looks any better.

Excuse the rant, back to the subject of Kobo. I cheered myself up a little bit by ordering a third Forma. At least one of them should last until I’m too senile to read.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote