Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2021, 07:12 AM   #61
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
The upgrade from a Glo to a Clara is definitely significant;
And I completely agree with you. But, that wasn't my point. My point was that upgrading to the direct replacement, probably wasn't. As I stated, the Clara HD was a replacement for the Glo HD. Same resolution, and unless you wanted the extra storage, it probably wasn't worth it.
Quote:
same with the jump from the Aura HD to H20. Carta was a big step up.
I had forgotten the change to Carta. It was an improvement, but, I do not think it was worth it to go from a fully working Aura HD to the original Aura H2O.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:18 AM   #62
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And kudos to Kobo for going with the newer screen for the Libra 2, and I'm surprised now that the new Kindle PW didn't use the new screen.

Will the Paperwhite 5 still be using Carta 1000?
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2021, 07:36 AM   #63
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
In my country, the Sage is being advertised on Kobo at 85% of the price of the Forma. That and the hardware enhancements are seriously tempting me to upgrade my wife from an H202 to a Libra (Mk1), to wit, mine.

I don't care at all about audiobooks, but I love the fact that the stylus is an optional extra, since I care even less for that feature. To me, the Sage seems like it might be the "fixed Forma" I've long said would tempt me to go from 7 to 8. Even if it means I need an adapter to connect it to my USB-C-less PC
You probably won't need an adapter. Most USB C products come with a USB A to USB C cable in the box. It's more likely people with all USB C computers like MacBooks will need an adapter or a different cable. USB C to A cables are super common and cheap anyways since at this point it's the defacto standard for charging or syncing an Android phone.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:40 AM   #64
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
You probably won't need an adapter. Most USB C products come with a USB A to USB C cable in the box. It's more likely people with all USB C computers like MacBooks will need an adapter or a different cable. USB C to A cables are super common and cheap anyways since at this point it's the defacto standard for charging or syncing an Android phone.
Yes, I just saw that the price of one if needed is trivial. It is a very nice looking reader, and right at this moment, the odds of Rakuten raking it in from me are pretty good.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:40 AM   #65
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Both sound good, though the Sage is a little pricey. I wondered last week why the Libra seemed cheaper on Argos than the previous time I looked. I guess I'll recommend Libra2 to people instead of the Libra.

My first USB-C gadget was about a week ago, a 1920 x 1200 Lenovo Yoga ARM tablet. It came with a USB-A to USB-C cable and a regular USB-A charger. It works fine on the USB 2.0 USB-A host ports on the laptop, except being Android it has the brain-dead MTP mode instead of Mass Storage. I need some sort of USB2go adaptor for it. My existing "in a drawer" USB-C plug with micro-USB socket only works for charging. But I don't expect any sensible USB2go support on the new Kobos (like for a USB keyboard). I have a nice folio keyboard with a micro USB plug wired for USB2go mode that works on my phones and older tablets.

Last edited by Quoth; 10-05-2021 at 07:47 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2021, 08:14 AM   #66
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Both sound good, though the Sage is a little pricey. I wondered last week why the Libra seemed cheaper on Argos than the previous time I looked. I guess I'll recommend Libra2 to people instead of the Libra.

My first USB-C gadget was about a week ago, a 1920 x 1200 Lenovo Yoga ARM tablet. It came with a USB-A to USB-C cable and a regular USB-A charger. It works fine on the USB 2.0 USB-A host ports on the laptop, except being Android it has the brain-dead MTP mode instead of Mass Storage. I need some sort of USB2go adaptor for it. My existing "in a drawer" USB-C plug with micro-USB socket only works for charging. But I don't expect any sensible USB2go support on the new Kobos (like for a USB keyboard). I have a nice folio keyboard with a micro USB plug wired for USB2go mode that works on my phones and older tablets.
One nice benefit of USB C is you don't need to buy a special USB to go adapter for it. You can just grab pretty much any random USB C hub/dongle thing. No need for special USB to go devices anymore. I use my USB HDMI adapter that has USB A ports/SD card/ethernet on my devices and it works fine for plugging in a USB keyboard or flash drive despite my mobile devices not supporting HDMI out, everything works but the HDMI port.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:02 AM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
is the difference between the eink carta 1000 and 1200 noticeable?

that would be the only incentive i can think of upgrading from libra h2o to libra 2. i do not care much about USB-C and storage space.

though i need to physically see and touch it before i can determine, the buttons location of the libra 2 seemed to be too close to the border/edge of the body.
https://www.eink.com/e-ink-film.html
Quote:
E Ink Carta™ 1200 delivers a 20% increase in response time over E Ink Carta 1000, and an improvement in the contrast ratio of 15%. E Ink Carta 1200 offers the same benefits as Carta 1000. In addition, faster response time enables smoother handwriting and animation on ePaper displays.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:04 AM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
The Forma has a pulse width modulation backlight, if the sage has the same backlight as the current Libra (which is better from what i read), then that is also one consideration you might want to consider.
No it's not a consideration. Too many people make a big deal about the Forma's PWM light when there is no flickering visible. If there was, we'd have a lot of posts complaining about it.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:10 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
One nice benefit of USB C is you don't need to buy a special USB to go adapter for it. You can just grab pretty much any random USB C hub/dongle thing. No need for special USB to go devices anymore. I use my USB HDMI adapter that has USB A ports/SD card/ethernet on my devices and it works fine for plugging in a USB keyboard or flash drive despite my mobile devices not supporting HDMI out, everything works but the HDMI port.
And for those of us that have more microUSB cables and USB-A chargers, microUSB is still viable.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:21 AM   #70
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
On second thought, I'm not going to buy a Forma just yet. I'll wait for the reviews of the new Kobos. If - and only if - the Sage is significantly faster than previous Kobo models and/or has a significantly better screen, I might put up with additional weight. USB-C is welcome (my Dell laptop has only USB-C ports), but I can do without it.

I hope some folks here will do a comparison between the Sage and the Forma (ergonomics, speed, responsiveness, screen quality). I'd be very grateful for that.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:22 AM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
On second thought, I'm not going to buy a Forma just yet. I'll wait for the reviews of the new Kobos. If - and only if - the Sage is significantly faster than previous Kobo models and/or has a significantly better screen, I might put up with additional weight. USB-C is welcome (my Dell laptop has only USB-C ports), but I can do without it.

I hope some folks here will do a comparison between the Sage and the Forma (ergonomics, speed, responsiveness, screen quality). I'd be very grateful for that.
The Sage has a faster screen with better contrast and a quad code 1.8GHz processor. So yes it should be noticeably faster.

I'm holding off to see if we can get KOReader for the Sage and the new firmware can be easily patched. Plus,I want to know if there are any gotchas
Old 10-05-2021, 09:31 AM   #72
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am actually lookibg for actual comparisons between 1000 and 1200 and i can not find any except for comprisons in paper.

I hope real world comparisons will be part of reviews lter. I am more interested in the increased contrast having bad eyes as i age but i love to read.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:33 AM   #73
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
The Sage has a faster screen with better contrast and a quad code 1.8GHz processor. So yes it should be noticeably faster.

I'm holding off to see if we can get KOReader for the Sage and the new firmware can be easily patched. Plus,I want to know if there are any gotchas
KOReader works on the Forma and Libra which are the models being upgraded, the patches are applied to firmware which should be the same for the Sage and Libra 2. So it should all work.

So what are you waiting for?

Last edited by MGlitch; 10-05-2021 at 09:39 AM.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:36 AM   #74
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:

Yeah, the patches are essential.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:38 AM   #75
salamanderjuice
Guru

Quote:
And for those of us that have more microUSB cables and USB-A chargers, microUSB is still viable.
You can still use USB A chargers with USB C devices...

You just need a USB C to A cable, but again they are incredibly cheap and common at this point.

As has already been said most USB C devices will include a USB C to A cable in the box and if it comes with a charger it will still often be a USB A charger. It's really only high powered high end devices like laptops, tablets and expensive phones coming with USB C chargers and cables in the box. Some devices like my external SSDs will include both cables.

USB C is not new. It's been around since 2015 and is extremely common on phones, game controllers, external HDDs, tablets, etc. Let microUSB die already.