Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2021, 04:28 AM   #31
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I'm not going to buy the Sage. Too heavy and no ergonomic shape anymore. And I don't need the new Libra, which also has lost the thinner screen part.

Instead I'll probably buy the Forma.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:30 AM   #32
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
And they've put the switches on the back again. Just realized that. I really like that on the Voyage and Aura 2. The worst place for a switch (in my opinion) is on the bottom. (I also like the Aura HD and Nook Glowlight and the pre-Kobo Tolinos because they had the switches on the top edge.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2021, 04:46 AM   #33
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
It is weird that the libra 2 has a 1500mah battery while the sage has 1200mah.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:51 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I'm not going to buy the Sage. Too heavy and no ergonomic shape anymore. And I don't need the new Libra, which also has lost the thinner screen part.

Instead I'll probably buy the Forma.
I'm sorry, but the Forma shape is not ergonomic. It's just silly with the bent bit. The Sage is more flat which is a better shape for holding.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:53 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
It is weird that the libra 2 has a 1500mah battery while the sage has 1200mah.
I agree. The battery for the Sage should be at least 1600mah.
Advert
Old 10-05-2021, 04:54 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Sorry Amazon. The PW5 is too little too late. Once again Kobo outdoes Amazon.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:03 AM   #37
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
I guess Im the only one super disappointed with this release. The one hypothetical improvement is the buttons, and hopefully the screen lighting of the Sage is better than the Forma, but other than that its almost like a practical joke.

20% heavier is not a marginal difference. Now I can use my ereader for audiobooks, which is a completely useless upgrade for the vast majority of us who use ereaders exclusively for reading and own phones. Add a stylus for the Sage, again diluting what is a specialized device away from its core competency. Theres a whole market for notetaking e-ink devices, you just released one, Kobo.

Sorry, but if I was an investor in Kobo this product launch would concern me. It really bugs me because I was hoping for a good answer to the obviously improved kindle and have been waiting to upgrade.

If the reviews come back glowingly positive about the screen uniformity of the Sage and the buttons are oasis quality, Ill re-evaluate my first impression, but considering the slow release schedule of ereaders, it feels to me like Kobo has actually gone backwards and the Forma was a plagued device three years ago at the top end.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:06 AM   #38
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sorry Amazon. The PW5 is too little too late. Once again Kobo outdoes Amazon.
Honestly, I like the shape and size of the Kindle Paperwhite 5 better. Though I'm not in the market for either. I'm still holding out for a 6.8" PocketBook.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:14 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post
Some of the changes I noticed so far:

- Carta 1200 Display (faster, better contrast)
- 32 GB storage
- Bluetooth
- Audiobook support
- USB-C
- Increased weight (Libra 2: 215g instead of 192g, Sage: 241g instead of 197g)
- Official Dark Mode for the Libra
- Stylus support for the Sage
The Sage has a 1.8GHz quad-core processor, bluetooth for audiobooks, USB-C port, IPX8 waterproofing, and WiFi 802.11 ac/b/g/n (dual-band).
Old 10-05-2021, 05:16 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Honestly, I like the shape and size of the Kindle Paperwhite 5 better. Though I'm not in the market for either. I'm still holding out for a 6.8" PocketBook.
A 6.8" pocketbook would be too small to hold your stuff. Try putting in your phone, wallet, Reader and your either done or overloaded.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:29 AM   #41
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
Another potential downside to the Sage is the additional power draw of the stylus capability on a 1200ma battery. I imagine people will go bonkers about the move to USB-C, a feature I couldnt care less about.

Goes to show you the different priorities of different consumers. There will be a lot of people psyched about the Sage as the new flagship, while for me its going to force me to the Forma or (more likely) the new kindle. Kobo must have done their market research and concluded this is what their customers want. I may end up waiting for the new Oasis and pray that its 8-inch. Doubt it will be, though.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:31 AM   #42
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
The Sage has a 1.8GHz quad-core processor, bluetooth for audiobooks, USB-C port, IPX8 waterproofing, and WiFi 802.11 ac/b/g/n (dual-band).
I think if I was in the market for a "square" style Kobo reader, the weight might be the deciding factor for me. 192 grams is really nice for a 7" reader. 197 grams is really good for an 8" reader — though the 7.8" PocketBook InkPad 3 at 210 grams is not too far off. The Sage is almost as heavy as my Tolino Epos, which I consider too heavy for comfortable reading.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:32 AM   #43
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but the Forma shape is not ergonomic. It's just silly with the bent bit. The Sage is more flat which is a better shape for holding.
That's your opinion. Mine is the exact opposite.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:33 AM   #44
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
is the difference between the eink carta 1000 and 1200 noticeable?

that would be the only incentive i can think of upgrading from libra h2o to libra 2. i do not care much about USB-C and storage space.

though i need to physically see and touch it before i can determine, the buttons location of the libra 2 seemed to be too close to the border/edge of the body.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:33 AM   #45
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
I guess Im the only one super disappointed with this release. The one hypothetical improvement is the buttons, and hopefully the screen lighting of the Sage is better than the Forma, but other than that its almost like a practical joke.

20% heavier is not a marginal difference. Now I can use my ereader for audiobooks, which is a completely useless upgrade for the vast majority of us who use ereaders exclusively for reading and own phones. Add a stylus for the Sage, again diluting what is a specialized device away from its core competency. Theres a whole market for notetaking e-ink devices, you just released one, Kobo.
I agree with you completely.