Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-14-2021, 09:11 PM   #31
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiejohn View Post
I have removed Linux beta and turned on again and went to install but it is still not asking for a password?
Thank you.
Quote:
Sorry I am getting no where.
I have pm Kovid to see if he can help.
Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
In linux whenever you install a program it asks you for the root password
There is no password by default in Crostini. And you shouldn't need one to install Calibre either from the terminal with...

sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh | sudo sh /dev/stdin

Or via the repository with...

sudo apt install calibre

If you want a password you can create one in Crostini with...

sudo passwd

... and follow the prompts (which are, enter in the new password twice)

Be sure you remember it.

EDIT: Correction. You do need a password with the cut and paste install from Calibre's site.

Last edited by rcentros; 07-14-2021 at 09:22 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:13 PM   #32
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I looked it up and it says Intel Celeron Dual Core N3160
Thank you.
How much RAM do you have? (Probably either 2GB or 4GB.)
Advert
Old 07-14-2021, 09:24 PM   #33
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmac999 View Post
The Linux download page includes "sudo -v &&" at the beginning which forces the Linux terminal to verify the password. remove this and try the rest of the line. ...
Good to know. Although adding a sudo password to Crostini is not hard.
Old 07-15-2021, 01:03 AM   #34
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I wonder if the op could email the books and pick them up on the browser on his kobo?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:55 AM   #35
geordiejohn
Zealot
geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Thank you I will try sudo apt install calibre
geordiejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2021, 11:52 AM   #36
geordiejohn
Zealot
geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

gold star to rcentros as his command of sudo apt install calibre worked and this is what i have got
Acer Chromebook 311 C722 - (MediaTek 8183, 4GB RAM, 32GB eMMC, 11.6 inch HD Display, Chrome OS, Black)
thank you very much for all the help.
The only problem is calibre is version 3.39.1 and does not recognize my kindle?

Last edited by geordiejohn; 07-19-2021 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:04 AM   #37
geordiejohn
Zealot

Does anyone know how I can upgrade from 3.39.1 to 5.24 without using sudo command because on my Acer Chromebook running arm if I put in sudo it asks for a password and I don't have one,I tried my login password but it does not like that.?
Thank you.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:17 AM   #38
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Does anyone know how I can upgrade from 3.39.1 to 5.24 without using sudo command because on my Acer Chromebook running arm if I put in sudo it asks for a password and I don't have one,I tried my login password but it does not like that.?
Thank you.
As I explained you in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...01&postcount=2 the official releases you're trying to install are NOT AVAILABLE for arm.

So, even if you setup a root password, the installer will fail (or install binaries that won't run on your device if there's no checks in place, which I doubt).

If you still want to try that for yourself you can setup a root password with:

Code:
sudo passwd root
You need to use other means to achieve what you want. AFAIK flatpak provides up to date versions of calibre, but I'm not sure if they have their apps available for aarch64. You can try yourself following these instructions: https://flatpak.org/setup/Debian/ and then installing their calibre repo (you can check it is up-to-date in https://flathub.org/apps/details/com..._ebook.calibre)

Edit: Nope. Flathub repackages official binaries, doesn't build from source. So there's no arm binaries available. Source: https://github.com/flathub/com.calib...ibre/issues/17

Last edited by pazos; 07-31-2021 at 10:28 AM.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:02 PM   #39
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I admit I've followed these Chromebook threads with interest, because I know practically nothing about Chromebooks. But I don't understand one thing... if using Calibre or other desktop programs is so important, why on Earth buy a Chromebook at all? If money is the issue, there are plenty cheap Windows and Linux laptops around, and it's even possible to get a lightly used business class laptop pretty cheaply, at least where I live.

I guess Chromebooks have their niche, but Calibre users are certainly not it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:04 AM   #40
geordiejohn
Zealot

Thank you once again,I bought the Chromebook because my Acer Aspire 5536 laptop has got a black screen running Linux mint and I am taking it to be repared if it does not cost a lot of money.
I have calibre 3.39.1 installed and it is doing what I wanted it to do it was just a thought about getting the latest version of 5.24
I took my Acer Aspire laptop in to repair shop yesterday and said if it costs over £75 then I will have it back and destroy it,I should hear today how much?

Last edited by geordiejohn; 08-05-2021 at 04:49 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:27 AM   #41
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Thank you once again,I bought the Chromebook because my Acer Aspire 5536 laptop has got a black screen running Linux mint and I am taking it to be repared if it does not cost a lot of money.
I have calibre 3.39.1 installed and it is doing what I wanted it to do it was just a thought about getting the latest version of 5.24
check this link https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtop...?f=68&t=231586
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 03:05 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I admit I've followed these Chromebook threads with interest, because I know practically nothing about Chromebooks. But I don't understand one thing... if using Calibre or other desktop programs is so important, why on Earth buy a Chromebook at all? If money is the issue, there are plenty cheap Windows and Linux laptops around, and it's even possible to get a lightly used business class laptop pretty cheaply, at least where I live.

I guess Chromebooks have their niche, but Calibre users are certainly not it.
I agree that Chrombooks are fairly useless for dealing with eBooks and Calibre. I think they are a waste of money because no matter what you think you'll be doing with them, you'll eventually hit a snag where you'll want to do things that won't work with a Chromebook. Just get a laptop that runs Windows and be happy that you can do things you want to do.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 03:35 PM   #43
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I agree that Chrombooks are fairly useless for dealing with eBooks and Calibre. I think they are a waste of money because no matter what you think you'll be doing with them, you'll eventually hit a snag where you'll want to do things that won't work with a Chromebook. Just get a laptop that runs Windows and be happy that you can do things you want to do.
While I certainly agree with you, several of my family members (some of them much younger than me and all of them much better educated) would probably be quite happy with Chromebooks. They generally don't do anything on their personal computers that would even require installing a program. Email, web browsing, internet banking, social media, streaming services, uploading photos and so on. I would guess such people are actually the majority and we MobileRead nerds are the minority.

Last I counted, I had about 30 programs and applications installed on my main laptop. My sister has none. She uses her work laptop most of the time and installing anything there by employees is not allowed. Not that she has ever even wanted to. She's perfectly content with the few pre-installed programs the laptop has (MS Office being one of them, but I don't know if she has ever used it for personal stuff). Actually I'm not even sure she knows how to install a program at all... And she has a college degree.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 11:06 AM   #44
geordiejohn
Zealot

Thank you all,still waiting for my Acer Aspire 5536 laptop to be repaired.
Old 08-21-2021, 12:03 PM   #45
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Thank you all,still waiting for my Acer Aspire 5536 laptop to be repaired.
That's an old laptop. You can get laptop refurbs on ebay for as low 50 pounds.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote