Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-20-2021, 10:49 AM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Why try to put too much into a single club? I think issybird's quarterly classics discussion sounds like a good idea. I think if we had another quarterly or bi-monthly club for other books that would be fine. There have been 2 book clubs running for most of the last 10 years. People will be free to participate in any, all, or none of the available discussions based on their interests.

Keeping things separate puts less overhead on whoever is leading the group(s), so hopefully less stress. This also let's more people try different roles in different groups. Maybe issybird leads a classic's group but only wants to participate in another from time to time. I know people who are leading feel pressure to read or at least try every selection. So having more than one group will relieve some of that pressure.
We could have four leaders. Two for the classic part and the other two for the non-classics part. That I think would work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:58 AM   #62
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Why not two, three, or four separate groups then?

That way each group can select books or genres or themes or ??? on their own and not worry about what the other groups are doing.

Maybe one group will select books by leader fiat, another may want to discuss and vote on genres and then books within those genres, and another may want a free-for-all.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2021, 11:05 AM   #63
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Why not two, three, or four separate groups then?

That way each group can select books or genres or themes or ??? on their own and not worry about what the other groups are doing.

Maybe one group will select books by leader fiat, another may want to discuss and vote on genres and then books within those genres, and another may want a free-for-all.
I’m only going to add to Dazrin’s excellent post a reminder that anyone is free to start a book club.

Jon, I get the impression you’re not interested in a classics club which is why you’re canvassing for genres. Well, great! No one’s interested in everything. I think the omnibus clubs have had their day; there’s nothing wrong with compromise but there’s also nothing wrong with specialization. Reading time is precious.

In any case, this one is about to launch. A few final tweaks and there will be a new thread to introduce the new venture.

ETA: And here’s the link.

Last edited by issybird; 04-20-2021 at 11:07 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:42 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does anyone want a book clubs that not classics?
Old 04-20-2021, 01:15 PM   #65
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes. It may be nice to also have a classics month.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2021, 01:19 PM   #66
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Why don't you propose a club you would like to see, and then the rest of us can let you know if we are interested? You have always had strong opinions on how the clubs should be run - now is your chance to take charge

I never participated in New Leaf because the nominations each month always included books from varying genres, some of which I was never going to read. So I didn't vote because I didn't want to feel obligated. And then the books I would have been interested in generally didn't win.

I wonder if sticking to one genre per reading period would work? If someone has absolutely no interest in a particular genre (scifi, mystery, whatever) then they could sit that one out.

Just throwing out ideas here.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:10 PM   #67
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I wonder if sticking to one genre per reading period would work? If someone has absolutely no interest in a particular genre (scifi, mystery, whatever) then they could sit that one out.
That was tried, it was called the MobileRead Book Club. The quibbling about whether a particular book was in that month's genre or not were a definite contributing factor to the demise of the MRBC, and ultimately led to some of the features of the NLBC, including the move to themes rather than genres, along with the explicit assumption that if the nominator thought a particular book met the theme, then it did. Full stop. But hey, if Jon is starting up his own club, he can make the rules any way he wants. If others want that kind of club, they can join him.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:20 PM   #68
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Yes, I'd be interested in at least science fiction, fantasy, and romance. Possibly other genres as well, depending on the selection.

If all voters are expected to read the selected book, I'm not going to vote, but will keep looking at the selections every now and then to see if I'm tempted to join the discussion. If I can vote and opt out of reading if the chosen book doesn't tempt me, I'll try to vote as well (when the genre/topic interests me).

I like the idea of more than one book club, or a less formal, ad hoc buddy-reading thing. For instance, someone starts a thread saying "I'm in the mood for space opera, here are some suggestions, anyone wants to join me for any of these titles[list of books] or have other suggestions?" and then a bit of discussion and a poll.

I'd also like to sometimes try shorter works to reduce the effort, novellas or even short stories.

Last edited by hildea; 04-20-2021 at 02:23 PM.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:27 PM   #69
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
That was tried, it was called the MobileRead Book Club. The quibbling about whether a particular book was in that month's genre or not were a definite contributing factor to the demise of the MRBC, and ultimately led to some of the features of the NLBC, including the move to themes rather than genres, along with the explicit assumption that if the nominator thought a particular book met the theme, then it did. Full stop. But hey, if Jon is starting up his own club, he can make the rules any way he wants. If others want that kind of club, they can join him.
Why the hate for the MRBC? It lasted 8 years, how long did the NLBC last?
Old 04-20-2021, 02:27 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post

Why don't you propose a club you would like to see, and then the rest of us can let you know if we are interested? You have always had strong opinions on how the clubs should be run - now is your chance to take charge

I never participated in New Leaf because the nominations each month always included books from varying genres, some of which I was never going to read. So I didn't vote because I didn't want to feel obligated. And then the books I would have been interested in generally didn't win.

Just throwing out ideas here.
I am thinking of genre based. You are right, that we could get just about anything with topic based.

So for another book club, I think genre based would work.

So for another book club, it will be genre based. There will be no limit on when it's published, how long the book is, or how much it costs. The winning book is up to the participants. I would hope you would read what you voted for if it wins.

What does everyone think of doing the voting two months ahead so anyone getting the winning book from Overdrive may have enough time? We could do a general purpose vote and the two books that get the most votes are the ones we start with and then we go for a nomination/vote for the third to give time for library borrowing.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:29 PM   #71
John F
Grand Sorcerer

I liked the multi-genre book club. I tried some genres I don't normally read.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:32 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I liked the multi-genre book club. I tried some genres I don't normally read.
What genre would you like to start with?
Old 04-20-2021, 02:48 PM   #73
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Why the hate for the MRBC? It lasted 8 years, how long did the NLBC last?
I did NOT say I hated it. In fact, I quite enjoyed it until the monthly quibbling got to be too much. Please, you don't need to agree with me, but do not put words in my mouth.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:13 PM   #74
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I did NOT say I hated it. In fact, I quite enjoyed it until the monthly quibbling got to be too much. Please, you don't need to agree with me, but do not put words in my mouth.
Sure. It was a figure of speech. Maybe next time use a few "I"s in your post so it doesn't sound like you are stating a universal truth.

If you quite enjoyed it, as I did, why not suggest we bring it back without the quibbling.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:14 PM   #75
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What genre would you like to start with?
Let's use the last MRBC list, starting with the current month.