Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-06-2021, 07:30 PM   #16
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I will start with these books and save a vote. I think all the books are great. I did not vote for the one I’ve read, and the Hanff book isn’t available as an ebook (although my library has the audiobook and maybe I’ll sample it).

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin - 1
The Bookman’s Tale by Charlie Lovett - 1
The Forgers by Bradford Morrow - 1
The Readers’ Room by Antoine Laurain - 1
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:45 AM   #17
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
My votes are

1 to The Readers' Room
1 to The Bookman's Tale
1 to People of the Book
1 to 84, Charing Cross Road
1 to The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2021, 08:57 PM   #18
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Initial voting is complete and we have a tie between:

-The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
-The Bookman's Tale
-The Readers' Room

Run-off voting is now open!

Voting will close exactly TWO DAYS from this post.

Each person has TWO votes to use.

If the run-off ends in a tie, the selection that received all its votes first will win.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:08 PM   #19
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Very difficult choice but I'm going with

-1 to The Readers' Room
-1 to The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
Old 04-13-2021, 07:14 PM   #20
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

About an hour and a half left to vote!
Advert
Old 04-13-2021, 09:09 PM   #21
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Voting is complete and the winner is The Readers' Room! I'll have the discussion up soon.

ETA- To be clear, we had another tie in the run-off. Tie-breaker rules state that the first selection to receive all its votes, even between selections listed in the same post, wins the tie, which gave the edge to the Laurain title.

Last edited by sun surfer; 04-13-2021 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:23 PM   #22
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I didn't expect my vote order to determine the winner but I'm very happy with the outcome- The Readers' Room looks very interesting and I really enjoyed the preview. Also, I so rarely read such new releases so it will be fun to jump into something that came out so recently.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:12 PM   #23
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry! I thought I had until 8pm. I couldn’t decide anyway so I guess that made it easier.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:28 PM   #24
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

No problem! The selection looks great; I’m excited to read it.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:48 PM   #25
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
No problem! The selection looks great; I’m excited to read it.

I'm interested in reading it more because of all the recent exposure of the controversies surrounding the French publishing industry in general and literary awards specifically. It adds a certain je ne sais quoi to the context of this story.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:12 PM   #26
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I'm interested in reading it more because of all the recent exposure of the controversies surrounding the French publishing industry in general and literary awards specifically. It adds a certain je ne sais quoi to the context of this story.
I’m happy that you are interested in this book. I have really enjoyed this author in the past. What is the controversy with the French literary awards? Sounds intriguing.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:40 PM   #27
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I’m happy that you are interested in this book. I have really enjoyed this author in the past. What is the controversy with the French literary awards? Sounds intriguing.
That's ici to answer
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:24 PM   #28
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Enlightening read, Uncle Robin! And kudos on the cross-lingual pun(?), lol. It'll be interesting to read the book with that in mind.