Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-04-2021, 12:37 PM   #1
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Fonts not embedding while converting to PDF

This is not another "Why do you convert to PDF, it's such a loser format" and the like. There are legitime needs, like printing

After experiencing some crashes which forced me to test other versions, I noticed that version 4.2 and I assume all others appear NOT to embed any font that is NOT registered with windows.

My fonts are ALREADY in the epub, and many are not in the Fonts folder. The epub displays correctly in calibre, its viewer and in ADE - so fonts are "known" to calibre.

The forum appears to be silent on this.

Is there any solution to this?
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:49 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
You might want to give the Prince PDF plugin a try.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2021, 01:41 PM   #3
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's only strange because the older version I was using on an older PC had no problem at all, neither on w7, w8.1 nor w10 (all 64b).
Old 03-04-2021, 09:50 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186697
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:40 AM   #5
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

As I said, I had no troubles with older versions, under exactly the same conditions, so the behaviour has changed during these upgrades.

Not a single font which was not in C:\windows\fonts was embedded in the PDF. The font was embedded and correctly referred in the epub. That means one has to install the fonts on that computer - which raises the issue of legality and stuff, if the computer is someone else's (work, friend, internet café etc.).
The "error" message was sort of Font xyz was not embedded or similar. It was not an error, it was between a warning and an information. An error message means that the conversion should stop. A warning message means the conversion continues but the result might be different.

Anyway, since I have more than one version, as I have more than one computer, the problem is not grave, the solution being to use the old 2.50 version for converting to PDF.

I am not criticising anybody, just trying to find out a solution for a better conversion (what I like on the new to me version 4.2 was that one can set the margins for PDF separately than those for epub, which is a nice thing)
Advert

Tags
embed fonts, fonts, pdf conversion failure