Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-13-2020, 03:00 AM   #1
kpoviv
kpoviv began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
How can I edit the margins and the distance between letters and paragraphs?

I have seen that there are programs called KUAL among others, where one can edit some things. With one of these programs, can I edit the distance between each word, the margins of the edges and the distance between each sentence? I do that on my phone with an App called Moon + Reader to take advantage of more space and to get more words per page. I have a 7 generation Kinlde Papewhite. Can I install a program on it? Is it easy to do it? Is it good for what I need?

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-13-2020 at 03:03 AM. Reason: removed bold
kpoviv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:11 AM   #2
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoviv View Post
I have a 7 generation Kinlde Papewhite.
Depends on the firmware version.
If it is upper than 5.9.6.1 you cannot.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2020, 06:55 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoviv View Post
I have seen that there are programs called KUAL among others, where one can edit some things. With one of these programs, can I edit the distance between each word, the margins of the edges and the distance between each sentence? I do that on my phone with an App called Moon + Reader to take advantage of more space and to get more words per page. I have a 7 generation Kinlde Papewhite. Can I install a program on it? Is it easy to do it? Is it good for what I need?
You can install the ChareInk font which will give you less space between lines and more characters per line all without the need to jailbreak. Download the hinted version which works best with a Kindle.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:32 AM   #4
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
I have always hated the wide margins on a kindle but I recently gave the Oasis a go and used calibre to convert books to AZW3 using

html {
margin-right: -60px;
margin-left: -60px;
}
in the Look & Feel, Styling, Extra CSS.

This together with hinted ChareInk font as mentioned in the post above works perfectly for me. I also use the FONT_RAMP to alter the line sizes https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=50

Saying that I would like to reduce the bottom margin but you cant have everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2020_10_13T12_35_54+0100.png
Views:	231
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	182677  

Last edited by grizedale; 10-13-2020 at 07:57 AM.
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:29 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizedale View Post
I have always hated the wide margins on a kindle but I recently gave the Oasis a go and used calibre to convert books to AZW3 using

html {
margin-right: -60px;
margin-left: -60px;
}
in the Look & Feel, Styling, Extra CSS.

This together with hinted ChareInk font as mentioned in the post above works perfectly for me. I also use the FONT_RAMP to alter the line sizes https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=50

Saying that I would like to reduce the bottom margin but you cant have everything.
Are you sure it's a bottom margin and not windows and orphans causing the extra space? Try this...

Code:
body {
  widows: 1;
  orphans: 1;
  margin-top: 0;
  margin-right: 0;
  margin-bottom: 0;
  margin-left: 0;
  text-align: justify;
}
Advert
Old 10-13-2020, 08:35 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

@kpoviv, there's one more thing you can do to get more text on screen is to use the Hyphenate This! plugin with KF8 (AZW3) eBooks. This will add hyphenation an more text on screen.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:35 AM   #7
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
Thanks JSWolf, definitely not W & O as I already use the above code, thanks anyway.
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:37 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yep, IIRC, you're stuck with the crap vertical margins.

From the little I remember of this, even when messing with the java guts, getting rid of those was never really an option.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, kindle, margen, parrafos, program settings