Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-04-2020, 11:14 AM   #31
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'll second The Devil in the White City. I've been wanting to read this for ages but keep putting it off.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:36 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'll second The Devil in the White City. I've been wanting to read this for ages but keep putting it off.
I've kept putting it off and if it wins, it will get me to finally read it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2020, 11:50 AM   #33
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've kept putting it off and if it wins, it will get me to finally read it.
I read it years ago when it was on one of the 2 for 3 paperback tables at a brick and mortar B&N. I didn't keep my copy, but it was an interesting enough journalistic thriller.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:02 PM   #34
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I’m sorry I’m late to the party. I had an unplanned project come up at work. The list of nominations is really good. It is interesting that both book clubs are doing similar topics this month of Revolution and Freedom.

It looks like some people might have tickets left. I will nominate The Soldier’s Song By Alan Monaghan. It was less than $10 in all the major currencies: $9.49 US, $9.99 CDN, $9.99 AU and £3.99 UK.

From Amazon:
Quote:
Dublin, 1914. As Ireland stands on the brink of political crisis, Europe plunges headlong into war. Among the thousands of Irishmen who volunteer to fight for the British Army is Stephen Ryan, a gifted young maths scholar whose working class background has marked him out as a misfit among his wealthy fellow students.

Sent to fight in Turkey, he looks forward to the great adventure, unaware of the growing unrest back home in Ireland. His romantic notions of war are soon shattered and he is forced to wonder where his loyalties lie, on his return to a Dublin poised for rebellion in 1916 and a brother fighting for the rebels. Everything has changed utterly, and in a world gone mad his only hope is his growing friendship with the brilliant and enigmatic Lillian Bryce.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 09-04-2020 at 09:04 PM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:41 PM   #35
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I second The Soldier’s Song By Alan Monaghan. Sounds interesting, and I see there are two follow-on books.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2020, 12:43 AM   #36
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
It looks like some people might have tickets left.
Ah, yes, there are still a few tickets left. (And I like the nomination, except that it's not available from Overdrive libraries.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:39 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Ah, yes, there are still a few tickets left. (And I like the nomination, except that it's not available from Overdrive libraries.)
My issue is that it's the first book of a trilogy and I'm not wanting to start a new series that's not available at Overdrive.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:19 AM   #38
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My issue is that it's the first book of a trilogy and I'm not wanting to start a new series that's not available at Overdrive.
I looked through several reviews on GR and didn't see anyone complaining about cliff-hangers or anything of that sort. From what I saw the three books relate to three parts of the main protagonist's life, so three stories rather than just one (beyond the fact that it's the same protagonist). So I'm not too worried about the first of a trilogy aspect.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 04:42 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I looked through several reviews on GR and didn't see anyone complaining about cliff-hangers or anything of that sort. From what I saw the three books relate to three parts of the main protagonist's life, so three stories rather than just one (beyond the fact that it's the same protagonist). So I'm not too worried about the first of a trilogy aspect.
Even still, it's not a complete story. IT's only 1/3rd of a story even if it doesn't exactly end on a cliffhanger. But it does end on a to be continued...
Old 09-05-2020, 07:31 PM   #40
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Enough, Jon. You pointed out that it's part of a trilogy. The voting will decide what we read. I am NOT going to allow quibbles about if it's a series or where in a series it is.
Old 09-06-2020, 04:04 PM   #41
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Yes, my understanding is that this first book can stand alone. It gets great reviews. It was originally a short story that won awards for the author as an emerging Irish voice. He then developed the concept into a novel which became an Irish best-seller. It’s an historical trilogy. The three books follow different periods in Irish history through the life of the main protagonist and expanding to other characters. I am glad that through the nomination process I was able to discover a new author. I also discovered new book awards that have led me to some good finds for my TBR.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #42
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Polls Up.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:56 PM   #43
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I saw today that Parable of the Sower just made it to the NYT best-seller list (13th and could keep rising). I suppose that explains the popularity at your library, Charlie.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/octavi...rable-of-sower

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 09-08-2020 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:46 PM   #44
CRussel
(he/him/his)

That's certainly an indicator. And something we had hoped to avoid in the NLBC, given that not everyone can afford to buy their books for this. But it does happen.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:23 AM   #45
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I saw today that Parable of the Sower just made it to the NYT best-seller list (13th and could keep rising). I suppose that explains the popularity at your library, Charlie.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/octavi...rable-of-sower
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
That's certainly an indicator. And something we had hoped to avoid in the NLBC, given that not everyone can afford to buy their books for this. But it does happen.
Also probably related to the fact that the Brooklyn Public Library is doing a group read of Parable right now. It is part of their Climate Reads program (and seems modeled on A Public Space's Tolstoy read). They say of the program:
Quote:
​BPL Presents and Writers Rebel NYC invite you to join a community of readers and writers across the nation in the Climate Reads series—a year-long reading and discussion of books shedding light on the climate crisis and environmental justice, to help guide and inspire us to take necessary action.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote