Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 08-15-2020, 06:24 AM   #1
marie00
marie00 began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 4
POCKETBOOK Touch Lux 4 touchscreen not working after update

Hello all,

Yesterday i had a prompt to update to the newest firmware, so I downloaded it via WiFi and then started the update.

Now the touchscreen has a strange behavior. It's working randomly if i touch my screen with two fingers.

Physical button are working well.

What i tried :

- Install all available update.
- Factory reset
- push twice on the menu button to disable and enable the touchscreen

Still same.

Any ideas ?
marie00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:03 AM   #2
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie00 View Post
Hello all,

Yesterday i had a prompt to update to the newest firmware, so I downloaded it via WiFi and then started the update.

Now the touchscreen has a strange behavior. It's working randomly if i touch my screen with two fingers.

Physical button are working well.

What i tried :

- Install all available update.
- Factory reset
- push twice on the menu button to disable and enable the touchscreen

Still same.

Any ideas ?
Somewhere in the settings should be a "calibrate touchscreen" menu item.
I would try this.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #3
marie00

I tried, still same.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:09 PM   #4
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you try to downgrade?
Old 08-16-2020, 01:02 AM   #5
marie00

Yes tried all firmware from here :
http://www.pocketbook-int.com/ge/sup...ok-touch-lux-4
Advert
Old 08-16-2020, 03:35 AM   #6
nhedgehog
Guru

Quote:
It's working randomly if i touch my screen with two fingers.
That I don't understand.
Touching it with only one finger is working fine?
Old 08-16-2020, 04:32 AM   #7
marie00

No if i touch the screen with one finger, it's not working. I have to touch the screen with two fingers and after many try, one of my finger is recognized.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:04 AM   #8
nhedgehog
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie00 View Post
No if i touch the screen with one finger, it's not working. I have to touch the screen with two fingers and after many try, one of my finger is recognized.
The chances that this behaviour is related to the firmware update is really minimal. Sounds for me like a broken touch layer. Guess only the service may help via screen replacement. I usually test the touch functions on my devices with the scibble app.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:17 AM   #9
jaskie
jaskie is no e-book dilettante.jaskie is no e-book dilettante.jaskie is no e-book dilettante.jaskie is no e-book dilettante.jaskie is no e-book dilettante.jaskie is no e-book dilettante.jaskie is no e-book dilettante.jaskie is no e-book dilettante.jaskie is no e-book dilettante.jaskie is no e-book dilettante.jaskie is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 4
It was happen to me, too, in a device I replaced screen.
Pocketbook Touch Lux 4 was manufactured with at least two LCD panels: ED060XH7 and EX060XCD. The latter (and probably later) have touch sensor glued on top of the screen, previous have the sensor secured under thin glass layer. These panels are electrically and mechanically fully compatible, so it's possible to replace each with the other. As ED060XCD is almost unavailable to buy, I replaced it with ED060XH7. It was working OK, I glued everything happy, and performed firmware upgrade - the touch failed exactly as yours.
After some deeper digging, replacing touch chip, connecting console to two pocketbooks with different panels, I noticed difference in settings for the panels in Pocketbook Linux firmware: console command /bin/hwconfig shows
  • device_touchpanel=8 for PB manufactured with ED060XH7
  • device_touchpanel=16 for EX060XCD
I don't know how to change this setting.
I noticed that firmware upgrade process stores initial settings in touch panel chip, so it's the reason for the failure after upgrade. The upgrade probably uses device_touchpanel to determine values to store.

HOW TO FIX your PB with no tools:
You have to connect the touch panel connector (only) to another pocketbook which have proper setting to your panel and force firmware upgrade on the pocketbook. The correct data will be saved in touch chip. This can be done relatively easy, only with opening rear cover of the both pocketbooks. To force firmware upgrade save the firmware on SD card, insert it to pocketbook at switch it on holding both "next" and "previous" physical buttons.
The touch panel type is printed on screen (largest) connector of the panel (you will have to disconnect it to check), the touch connector is on the opposite side.
If it's working, disable firmware upgrade, as it can break it in future.
jaskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 04:39 PM   #10
jaskie
jaskie is no e-book dilettante.jaskie is no e-book dilettante.jaskie is no e-book dilettante.jaskie is no e-book dilettante.jaskie is no e-book dilettante.jaskie is no e-book dilettante.jaskie is no e-book dilettante.jaskie is no e-book dilettante.jaskie is no e-book dilettante.jaskie is no e-book dilettante.jaskie is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 4
Follow-up

Now I also know the difference between ED060XH7 and ED060XCD that causes this behaviour: its because of location of touch panel in screen stack:
  • in ED060XH7 the touchpanel is glued almost directly to bottom screen surface (there is only very thin separating film between them),
  • in ED060XCD the touch is glued on top of the display.
And in the middle is quite thick layer of plastic used to distribute backlight, so in case of XCD-mainboard the panel should be much less sensitive than for XH7.
jaskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 05:23 PM   #11
pocketpicker
pocketpicker began at the beginning.

Device: PB628
I had similar problems with a rooted Pocketbook Lux5. The update ended with an error message "update failed". I could restart the device but the touch function rendered unusable. But luckily WLAN and SSH were functional.
So I determined two files with immutable attribut. (lsattr -R 2>/dev/null | grep i--)
And removed the attribut (sudo chattr -i <file name>)
I restarted the update process once more (I had to press the forward and backward button and push the power button for few seconds)
The update finished without errors. The device started again. The touchpad was full functional. I had to unroot and root the device again.
pocketpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 05:52 AM   #12
Vvelin
Vvelin began at the beginning.

Device: Touch lux 5
Problem after updating the firmware pb628 touch lux 5

Hi, i have a Problem after updating the firmware pb628 touch lux 5
After update touch screen work with two fingers try to download it without success can you help me somebody
Which number I must install to correct the problem
Vvelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 06:48 AM   #13
Vvelin

i mean try do downgrade withmore ot 4 kind of old firmware
Old 11-08-2023, 06:50 AM   #14
Vvelin

hi, buddy , do you find a solution to downgrade pb 628?

hi, buddy , do you find a solution to downgrade pb 628?
wich version if you success?
pls help me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketpicker View Post
I had similar problems with a rooted Pocketbook Lux5. The update ended with an error message "update failed". I could restart the device but the touch function rendered unusable. But luckily WLAN and SSH were functional.
So I determined two files with immutable attribut. (lsattr -R 2>/dev/null | grep i--)
And removed the attribut (sudo chattr -i <file name>)
I restarted the update process once more (I had to press the forward and backward button and push the power button for few seconds)
The update finished without errors. The device started again. The touchpad was full functional. I had to unroot and root the device again.
Old 11-09-2023, 08:36 AM   #15
jrw174
Connoisseur
jrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the rough

Device: PocketBook Era
If the device was rooted ( I had a similar issue on my Era) you need to download this release of the PB root
https://github.com/ezdiy/pbjb/releases/tag/v6

This has an Uninstall script that you can run.

To fix this I did this:

1. Put the files in the /application folder
2. Assuming the root is still somewhat installed, ssh to this folder.
3. Run the JailBreak.app
4. Run the services.ap
5. Run the Uninstall.app
6. Delete the /mnt/secure/su folder
7. Try to do the force update/reset with the buttons again
8. Once it starts give it 5 or so minutes. I noticed it took a while to have the touch screen react again
jrw174 is offline   Reply With Quote