Old 08-23-2019, 03:56 AM   #1
wuebbel
wuebbel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
convert: png treated as txt

I'm trying to convert an epub to pdf in calibre. The conversion fails with:

assets/img.png contains data in TXT format converting to HTML
Converting assets/tip-small.png ...
Failed to run pipe worker with command: from calibre.gui2.viewer.printing import do_print; do_print()
Python function terminated unexpectedly
'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0x89 in position 0: invalid start byte. -- Note: Markdown only accepts unicode input! (Error Code: 1)

Obviously, calibre is interpreting the PNG as text, which then fails.

This is on a fresh install of calibre 3.46.0 on Windows 10. Conversion of a different epub worked.

Any ideas?

Thanks Frank
wuebbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:56 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's ot calibrethatis interpreting the PNG as text it isthe EPUB file telling it to do that via its manifest. Openthe epub file in the calibre editor and fixthe manifest entry by eiditing the opf file.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2019, 05:21 AM   #3
wuebbel
wuebbel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
fix the manifest entry by editing the opf file.
Correct. I wonder why a commercial epub file contains this error. Thanks a lot! Fixed my problem.

Frank
wuebbel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, convert, pdf, png, utf-8