Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-20-2019, 12:05 PM   #1
jonvarteresian
jonvarteresian began at the beginning.

Device: PW4 Kindle PaperWhite 4 (2018) WiFi, 8GB
Loading many pdfs via ssh on paperwhite eventually fails

Hi,

Here is an interesting problem that I hope someone can shed some light on.

I have a kindle paperwhite that I ssh into, upload a pdf and display on the screen via:

lipc-set-prop com.lab126.appmgrd start app://com.lab126.booklet.reader:/mnt/us/documents/doc.pdf

works perfectly up to about 900 cycles. Each time I specify a new file name, and delete the old filename. around 916 cycles. (yes, its that repeatable) it stops working and I get 'cannot open application' errors. the only way out is to reboot the kindle and start again.

i tried sending a

lipc-set-prop com.lab126.appmgrd clearAllContext 1

in the hopes that it was that easy, but same behavior.

any ideas on what i should look at?

thanks!
jonvarteresian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:40 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Have you tried forcing a content indexing pass after each new file is ssh'ed in?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-20-2019 at 12:43 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2019, 01:42 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
When you delete a document, do you also delete the metadata directory that is created when the document is put onto the Kindle?

PS: Model of Kindle and current firmware version under discussion please.
That information is needed by anyone who tries to duplicate your problem.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:08 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Is there some script that does everything removing a document via the kindle GUI does?

If not, and it is possible, such a script might be handy.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:35 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Is there some script that does everything removing a document via the kindle GUI does?

If not, and it is possible, such a script might be handy.
It is already posted here, somewhere.
The original is in English, not that thing from China found by someone recently.
Advert
Old 02-20-2019, 02:52 PM   #6
jonvarteresian

interesting. When the 'badness happens' i get one of these messages for each file i transferred/displayed/deleted:

190220:192818 cvm[3869]: E MasterIndex:NoIndexFileath=/mnt/us/system/Search Indexes/y872e71d51e338b8bb6a0ef4e5c411b55:

I will add the index refresh and see what happens
Old 02-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #7
jonvarteresian

yes, i believe i do delete the metadata.

sorry about not including the kindle model. Its a paperwhite, model pq94wif running 5.10.0.2
Old 02-20-2019, 04:36 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonvarteresian View Post
yes, i believe i do delete the metadata.

sorry about not including the kindle model. Its a paperwhite, model pq94wif running 5.10.0.2
You would know it if you did delete the metadata.
That answer sounds like you don't have a clue about it.
Also, the message snippet you posted reads as if you have not deleted the metadata.

Use the first four (or six) characters of the Kindle's serial number and the table you find here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
To learn what your model is called.
Tell us and correct your side-bar information box also.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:17 PM   #9
jonvarteresian

hi again,

Kindle is a Kindle PaperWhite 4 (2018) WiFi, 8GB (SN G0000 PP...)

ok, i do delete the metadata (the .sdr folder associated with the file). The problem is that this cycle of uploading via ssh, displaying, and then deleting works up to 900-ish cycles. after that is when i start to get those messages.

once i hit that threshold is when the log includes all those NoIndexFile messages.

I tried this command after loading a new file and deleting the old, but no change:

dbus-send --system /default com.lab126.powerd.resuming int32:1

Now, I just call appmgrd start <fn> to display my image, and when i want a new one I call appmgrd start again with a new filename and delete the old files. I never stop the viewer, could that be the problem? I tried appmgrd stop but it didnt seem to do anything.

I do appreciate the help.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:32 PM   #10
jonvarteresian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Have you tried forcing a content indexing pass after each new file is ssh'ed in?
so do i do this re-indexing after i ssh up a new file, or after i remove a file from the kindle? or both?

Last edited by jonvarteresian; 02-20-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:14 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Since I assume you're deleting then sending a new file without anything in between, after the new file gets here *should* be enough?

Otherwise, both times, for completeness' sake.

Unless they're using the same filename, or you're bypassing the fuse layer, or something, in which case, both times, definitely.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:12 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
so do i do this re-indexing after i ssh up a new file, or after i remove a file from the kindle? or both?
Which media are you using for SSH? USB cable or Wifi?
Old 02-21-2019, 08:05 AM   #13
jonvarteresian

i am using a USB cable for the SSH connection. (touch /mnt/us/ENABLE_USBNET).

Thinking about this more, I am not sure if it is the 900+ unique files that are opened in the viewer, or the fact that i open the viewer 900+ times. I am running a test right now that alternates between 2 files which are SSH'd at the beginning of time, and then just opened. I don't delete those at all. If it still fails at 900+ then it has to do with how i am controlling the viewer.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:18 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
i am using a USB cable for the SSH connection. (touch /mnt/us/ENABLE_USBNET).
And there is your problem, PEBKAC.
It is a well known "gotcha" that the system does not always recognize things that are ssh'd in over the USB cable.

That message when you reach 900+ entries could be worded better, but I think it translates too: "Indexer todo work queue overrun".
So don't do that.
Restart the framework occasionally - say once ever 100 books.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #15
jonvarteresian

thanks, makes sense.

I also thought that maybe i could just turn off the indexer. I tried this link

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=220735

but it didnt seem to affect the indexer on the PW4. Do you know another way to disable the indexer? I certainly don't need it for my application.

thanks for all the help.