Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2018, 10:27 AM   #1
doggo
doggo is a marvel to beholddoggo is a marvel to beholddoggo is a marvel to beholddoggo is a marvel to beholddoggo is a marvel to beholddoggo is a marvel to beholddoggo is a marvel to beholddoggo is a marvel to beholddoggo is a marvel to beholddoggo is a marvel to beholddoggo is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Firmware 4.8.10956

Kobo released Firmware 4.8.10956 on the 23rd of April.
https://geek1011.github.io/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

Quote:
New in version 4.8:
Enhanced page-turn speed:

• While reading a Kobo book, hold the bottom corner of your screen to quickly flip through pages in either direction.

More changes & improvements:
• In Reading Settings, you can now choose to turn pages by Tapping or swiping, or by Swiping only.

Happy reading!
Also seems to tie-in with the new Wishlist at https://www.kobo.com/account/wishlist and the Kobo Android app
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=296386
doggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:33 AM   #2
djazz
Enthusiast
djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One LE
The first feature sounds like the Kobo Aura One Limited Edition special feature. I'm glad they are making it avilable for more devices!
djazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm not sure if that has been officially released; there were some issues in it
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:58 PM   #4
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
It got downloaded when I did a sync on my Aura HD (whsmith).
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:04 PM   #5
JIPG-reader
Zealot
JIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Ed2, Onyx Boox C67ML
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
It got downloaded when I did a sync on my Aura HD (whsmith).
Are the statistics OK again?
JIPG-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #6
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The reading stats seems to be fixed.

The option to enable/disable the reading stats in the reading setting is removed.

Quote:
Enhanced page-turn speed:

• While reading a Kobo book, hold the bottom corner of your screen to quickly flip through pages in either direction.
Also, when you hold the bottom corner there is a bar at the top with the book progress.
It's not working perfectly on my Glo, there is some delay and ghosting, but it's a cool feature.

Last edited by oren64; 04-23-2018 at 01:26 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:32 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
The reading stats seems to be fixed.

The option to enable/disable the reading stats in the reading setting is removed.
By "reading stats" do you mean "stats and rewards?" I always turn these off. Do you think there will be a hack to return this option?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:48 PM   #8
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
By "reading stats" do you mean "stats and rewards?" I always turn these off. Do you think there will be a hack to return this option?
Yes, I don't remember exactly the name but it was the last option in the reading setting.

I don't know about patching, but maybe it can be active from the conf file

Last edited by oren64; 04-23-2018 at 02:58 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:05 PM   #9
djazz
Enthusiast
djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.djazz is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One LE
Woo!

Video of the new fast page turning feature with a manga and ebook:

Note: The new fast page turning feature only works with KEPUB ebooks. No CBR/CBZ or classic EPUB support.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1424 small.JPG
Views:	616
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	163622   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1425 small.JPG
Views:	611
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	163623  
djazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:06 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
...but maybe it can be active from the conf file
I don't know whether the removal from Reading Settings is deliberate or a bug but I think manually editing the .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf will still work.
Code:
[ReadingLife]
StatsTrackingEnabled=true
Change StatsTrackingEnabled to true or false as required.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:25 PM   #11
JIPG-reader
Zealot
JIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Ed2, Onyx Boox C67ML
New in version 4.8:

• In Reading Settings, you can now choose to turn pages by Tapping or swiping, or by Swiping only.

I think this was already present in FW 4.7.10413 (at least my kobo h2O ed2 has it).

Last edited by JIPG-reader; 04-23-2018 at 04:57 PM.
JIPG-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:07 PM   #12
SSCR
SSCR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Looks like it's moved to Energy Saving and Privacy Settings. I think it's the same as tracking reading activity.
SSCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #13
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIPG-reader View Post
New in version 4.8:

I think this was already present in FW 4.7.10413 (at least my kobo h2O ed2 has it).
Ditto here on the KA1. It's in the menu, same place, looks identical.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:17 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The changes that I know of in this firmware are:
  • New quick page turn. This was on the firmware released for the Aura ONE Limited Edition. There were some problems with it, so it wasn't included in the next general release. It only works for kepubs.
  • Tracking option moved to the "Energy savings and privacy" page of the settings.
  • Wishlist rebuilt internally. There are no obvious visible changes.
  • Font selected for "Publisher Default" in epubs has changed. It was "Georgia", but no appears to be "Kobo Tsukushi Mincho". This is good in that this font has a fuller set of characters. But, it doesn't display either italics or bold in epubs. Which is not good.
  • Some work was done on selecting text. It still isn't perfect, but appears to be smoother and more accurate.
  • Stats are working.
  • Changing the page display option at the bottom of the screen has changed from a long press to a tap.
  • The WiFi online test has changed to a Kobo URL rather than the URL used by Microsoft.
  • Support for the (possibly) mythical Kobo Clara HD.
  • There are changes in the store, but I don't use it enough to really know what they are.

If I remember anything else, I'll add it here. I don't know why the page turning option has been included in the "What's new" list as it has been in several firmware versions. Maybe they forgot to announce it then.

There will be a matching update to the Kobo desktop application. It should appear today.

I haven't updated the calibre support yet. I will do this in time for the next calibre release. But, there are no changes that affect the drivers. Until the driver is updated, it is completely safe to use the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:18 PM   #15
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by djazz View Post
Note: The new fast page turning feature only works with KEPUB ebooks. No CBR/CBZ or classic EPUB support.
From someone who only loads epubs, it's a shame it doesn't also work on regular epubs. I miss this feature from my Sony 350, it doesn't make sense that Kobo can't do it when Sony had the feature back in 2010.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote