Notices

View Poll Results: New Home Screen vs Old Home Screen
New Home Screen 47 29.38%
Old Home Screen 113 70.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2017, 12:05 PM   #31
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I tend to go for the "as it works out of the box" option; I've applied the full screen hack to my Kobos and that's it. Once and done, I'll add, unlike with the weekly firmware updates.

Frankly, I don't have the skills to patch easily; I could get there, but my Luddite heart quails at the learning curve. I can't use a computer right now anyway, so that would be for the future.

I appreciate the reminder that there are options; I'm just annoyed that Kobo is making me choose between unattractive alternatives, that for my purposes they've broken something that worked well before.
I understand and agree completely. I just wanted to mention it, in case it may be helpful.

Shame on Kobo for not allowing users to disable/delay updates.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:13 PM   #32
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I voted no. I think the old home page is more useful and functional. I don't want it to be more "Amazon-like". It would be better if they offered customization. I would like to see reading stats on the home page, especially since that is something that they do different from the other brands so why not feature it.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2017, 12:23 PM   #33
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I voted no. I think the old home page is more useful and functional. I don't want it to be more "Amazon-like". It would be better if they offered customization. I would like to see reading stats on the home page, especially since that is something that they do different from the other brands so why not feature it.
I agree with these sentiments. I think the old Home screen with its dismissable tiles was innovative with great customisation abilities.

How can making Kobo devices 'more Kindle-like' with less options possibly do Kobo any good at all in the long run? They need to stick to their traditional strengths. That's why we keep buying them. If a Kobo becomes 'just another Kindle' then many potential new customers will stick with the perceived 'safer' option. Only one winner there - and it's not Kobo.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:45 PM   #34
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksquared View Post
I did share my opinion of that new home screen with Kobo - I encourage others to do the same! I work in Quality Assurance (not for Kobo, BTW) and nothing is more difficult than a customer that tells you about a problem six months after is started to annoy them.

https://www.kobo.com/help/?style=one...&culture=en-US
Done, thank you.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #35
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I agree with these sentiments. I think the old Home screen with its dismissable tiles was innovative with great customisation abilities.

How can making Kobo devices 'more Kindle-like' with less options possibly do Kobo any good at all in the long run? They need to stick to their traditional strengths. That's why we keep buying them. If a Kobo becomes 'just another Kindle' then many potential new customers will stick with the perceived 'safer' option. Only one winner there - and it's not Kobo.
What I would like to see is a home screen with the upper row from the new home screen but the dismissable tiles from the old home screen. I like the magnifying glass search icon instead of the bar and the drop down menu for functions though adding back the home button would be my preference. OTOH, I am not a user interface designer and I suspect that any attempts on my part would have me emulating Homer Simpson in the "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" episode.

I have to agree that Kobo needs to avoid falling into the "me too" trap of trying to make their ereader GUI look more like the Kindle GUI but there also seems to be a fairly vocal group complaining about "stale interfaces". Much like the constant complaints that Apple does not completely re-invent the iPhone interface every couple of years while almost every Android phone maker slaps their own modified GUI over Google's GUI. A rather noisy group that prefers eye candy over functionality.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2017, 06:48 PM   #36
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What I would like to see is a home screen with the upper row from the new home screen but the dismissable tiles from the old home screen.
That might be an interesting compromise.
Quote:
I like the magnifying glass search icon instead of the bar and the drop down menu for functions though adding back the home button would be my preference.
Removing the wasted space of the search "bar" is right. And overall I like the new top bar and menu a lot better. But, it is missing a home button.
Quote:
OTOH, I am not a user interface designer and I suspect that any attempts on my part would have me emulating Homer Simpson in the "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" episode.
Quote:
I have to agree that Kobo needs to avoid falling into the "me too" trap of trying to make their ereader GUI look more like the Kindle GUI but there also seems to be a fairly vocal group complaining about "stale interfaces". Much like the constant complaints that Apple does not completely re-invent the iPhone interface every couple of years while almost every Android phone maker slaps their own modified GUI over Google's GUI. A rather noisy group that prefers eye candy over functionality.
Yes, redesigning for the sake of making it "new" is a waste of time. But, I think Kobo are also trying to make the apps and devices a little more consistent. The new home screen sort of matches that of the recent Android and iOS apps. There's a list of books you are reading across the top and then sections further down the screen for the store type functions. I'm not sure if I like the design overall, but I can sort of see what Kobo are up to.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:00 AM   #37
Cherry Picker
Closet Reader
Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Cherry Picker is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo GloHD
After reading this thread, I guess the next question has to be for davidfor...
(Keep in mind that I use a GloHD and I do not have the new Home Screen)

I am heavily reliant on Kobo Utilities for almost all of the features it provides. Included in those are the "Display Extra Tiles" and "Remove Tiles" from the home screen options. I guess I have two questions:
  1. For those with the new home screen, can any of the issues above be remedied with a re-write of the Kobo Utilities plugin to accomodate new home screen displays that are not already covered by Kobo Utilities?
  2. For those with the old home screen, would such a re-write affect the currently fabulous working version of Kobo Utilities (a selfish way of asking if we'd lose anything)?
Cherry Picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:09 PM   #38
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
I must note that Kobo after a relationship of years and tons of data about what I like to read has yet ever to market to me a book I'd remotely be interested in reading.
That's hilarious.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:59 PM   #39
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Picker View Post
After reading this thread, I guess the next question has to be for davidfor...
(Keep in mind that I use a GloHD and I do not have the new Home Screen)

I am heavily reliant on Kobo Utilities for almost all of the features it provides. Included in those are the "Display Extra Tiles" and "Remove Tiles" from the home screen options. I guess I have two questions:
  1. For those with the new home screen, can any of the issues above be remedied with a re-write of the Kobo Utilities plugin to accomodate new home screen displays that are not already covered by Kobo Utilities?
  2. For those with the old home screen, would such a re-write affect the currently fabulous working version of Kobo Utilities (a selfish way of asking if we'd lose anything)?
The tiles on the home screen work a little differently to the old home screen. I haven't played with it much, but at the moment, I don't think there is any useful that can be done with it. And if I do find something that works, I'll try to keep it working for both home screens.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:00 AM   #40
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
This means I lose OverDrive integration on my Aura One, as of the two I'd rather avoid the new screen than download library books directly to my device.

I don't have Aura ONE or OverDrive, but do you have to sync the device to have OverDrive integration, isn't there another way?

Last edited by oren64; 03-07-2017 at 03:06 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:11 AM   #41
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
I don't have Aura ONE or OverDrive, but do you have to sync the device to have OverDrive integration, isn't there another way?
If you are borrowing on the device, it will probably download when you borrow the book. But, if you reserve a book, or borrow using OD some other way, you will need to sync.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:35 AM   #42
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
That new home screen is enough to make me refuse to buy any new devices from Kobo. (That mythical waterproof 5" or 6" Kobo.) I'm already disappointed in advance.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:57 AM   #43
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you are borrowing on the device, it will probably download when you borrow the book. But, if you reserve a book, or borrow using OD some other way, you will need to sync.
And if you want the books to show up on your other Kobos, you'll need to sync them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
That new home screen is enough to make me refuse to buy any new devices from Kobo. (That mythical waterproof 5" or 6" Kobo.) I'm already disappointed in advance.
I realized I'm running five different firmwares on my five Kobos. And there they'll stay; I already played Russian roulette with my Glo HD once, but I won't risk it again with any of them.

Seriously, I know that if for some reason the new screen were forced on me I'd shrug my shoulders and get over it; the reading experience itself would be unaltered. But I resent that Kobo is taking back back functionality in exchange for aggressive marketing. On the positive side, I'm fully gadgeted and barring incident won't need a new one for a long, long time.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #44
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The tiles on the home screen work a little differently to the old home screen. I haven't played with it much, but at the moment, I don't think there is any useful that can be done with it. And if I do find something that works, I'll try to keep it working for both home screens.

Pleeeease - go play

*sending subliminal smiling winsomely vibes*
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #45
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
I got a reply from Kobo to my comments/thoughts on the new style homescreen - the emoticons are my response!

Thank you for suggesting a new feature! We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing a problem. We’re always looking for ways to improve our service and products so we truly value your feedback.

Your suggestion will be forwarded to our innovation-minded Dev Team for review. To recognize the inconvenience caused by this issue and to thank you for your loyalty to Kobo, please accept this £3 store credit offer*

If you continue to experience problems trying to update the eReader, please contact us.

Last edited by Willa; 03-07-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
home screen, kobo