Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #61
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Forgot your wallet? You can buy on credit.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:59 PM   #62
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loyne View Post
It's dots per inch. Every square inch has 300 dots. Imagine a grid on a screen made of 1"x1" squares. Every square? 300 dots. When the screen is bigger those dots don't get spread out.
Yup. A 300 ppi (pixels per inch, because dpi is a print thing) panel will always be sharper than a 256 ppi panel. If the 265 ppi panel looks sharper then it's either because of uneven image scaling or different font sizes or weightings, not the panels themselves.

It's possible for a specific H2O panel to have better contrast than a specific ONE panel due to variations in manufacturing. I have two e Ink Pearl devices and one is noticeably darker than the other when side by side. It would not surprise me to see similar variations in different Carta panels.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #63
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A smaller battery means more charges and that means less overall time before the battery needs replacing.
That's a good point, actually.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:23 PM   #64
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

I've ended up in a similar boat. I got the Aura H2O because the light of my Glo failed (two plus hard years). When the Glo HD was released, it was a "why not" purchase. I've found I used the Glo HD almost exclusively because the size and weight fit better. Aura H2O is just enough bigger to be annoying without an real benefit to me. I'm wondering if the extra size of the Aura ONE puts it past that to the point it is useful to me. When they come back in stock here, I'll have another look. But, I'll have to leave my wallet at home.
Yeah, I should go take a look in store, when the Aura One will come back, before making a decision. Too bad the Glo HD is not in stores anymore. I wish Kobo would have put 300 dpi in the Aura second edition.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:13 PM   #65
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
That's a good point, actually.
Lithium-ion batteries have a conservative life expectancy of 300-500 charge cycles assuming full discharge (where the battery cannot power the device). At one full charge per month a ONE's battery can be expected to last at least 25 years.
Advert
Old 01-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #66
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
Yup. A 300 ppi (pixels per inch, because dpi is a print thing) panel will always be sharper than a 256 ppi panel. If the 265 ppi panel looks sharper then it's either because of uneven image scaling or different font sizes or weightings, not the panels themselves.

It's possible for a specific H2O panel to have better contrast than a specific ONE panel due to variations in manufacturing. I have two e Ink Pearl devices and one is noticeably darker than the other when side by side. It would not surprise me to see similar variations in different Carta panels.
The capacity touch layer chosen by Kobo has a noticeable impact on the contrast. This was very apparent when comparing the Touch HD to the One side by side. I wouldn't go so far as to call the H20 clearer, but i can see why that might be the impression.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #67
ratinox
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The capacity touch layer chosen by Kobo has a noticeable impact on the contrast. This was very apparent when comparing the Touch HD to the One side by side. I wouldn't go so far as to call the H20 clearer, but i can see why that might be the impression.
You're right, and I really should have included the caveat of all other things being equal. Which they're not. But IME with my Aura HD (same ppi as H2O) and my ONE the ONE looks better when everything is scaled to the devices' native resolutions.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #68
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
I tried to look around the web for pictures and videos about both the Aura One and H2O, but I haven't really seen any good comparaison, side by side, about screen quality, clearer text or not.

The Aura One has 300 dpi, like the Kindle, but its screen is bigger. So, I guess it's probably not as sharp. The H2O has a lower dpi, 265 I think. But on a smaller screen. So, maybe it looks kind of the same as the Aura One. Of course, the number of led is something to consider. There is a difference between the whole Kindle series, even if they are all on 300 dpi. The number of led makes a difference.
Comparing my H2O and KA1 side by side, the difference between the sharpness is miniscule with 6 of the people I asked choosing the KA1 as sharper, the other 5 choose the H2O. I did this with the front light set to off, the same font, font size and weight to try to make the comparison as even as possible.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #69
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loyne View Post
It's dots per inch. Every square inch has 300 dots. Imagine a grid on a screen made of 1"x1" squares. Every square? 300 dots. When the screen is bigger those dots don't get spread out.
Minor nit: every square inch has 300 x 300 dots or 90,000 pixels.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:04 PM   #70
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Comparing my H2O and KA1 side by side, the difference between the sharpness is miniscule with 6 of the people I asked choosing the KA1 as sharper, the other 5 choose the H2O. I did this with the front light set to off, the same font, font size and weight to try to make the comparison as even as possible.
Well, I'll know for sure in the coming days. I just ordered the Aura One from Indigo/Chapters.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:09 AM   #71
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I agree with you with light off, but with light on (which it always is for me, at various levels depending on ambient light), the One shines. And light apart, the One page looks so much better and pleasant to read.

See the photos I took when I first got the One (= day one in my country)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=181
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:14 AM   #72
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
Lithium-ion batteries have a conservative life expectancy of 300-500 charge cycles assuming full discharge (where the battery cannot power the device). At one full charge per month a ONE's battery can be expected to last at least 25 years.
Or, if you like to read 5 hours a day: you go through 300 cycles in 2 years and 4 months, and 500 cycles in 3 years and 8 months.

For some battery info: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:58 AM   #73
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a stone age MP3 Player (Sandisk Sansa Clip, bought in January 2009 - Amazon never forgets) that still holds its charge to this day, for up to 8 hours even though the entire device is tiny. (I only use it rarely these days, but even so.) You can get lucky and unlucky with your batteries, larger ones do not necessarily live longer.

A dead battery in my H2O would cost me ~10€ for a new one and ~1 hour to replace (most of the time wasted on the battery glue and not wanting to break the display so you have to be super careful with that crowbar). I'm fine with that esp. since it might never come to that in the first place.

I try to avoid devices where the battery is not replaceable even if you're willing to open it up yourself. My parents have a canon camcorder with chipped battery that is the evilest thing ever.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:28 AM   #74
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Or, if you like to read 5 hours a day: you go through 300 cycles in 2 years and 4 months, and 500 cycles in 3 years and 8 months.

For some battery info: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries
Yeah, I've only had my KA1 for 11 days and my reading stats are at 62 hours and 6 books. Device is getting charged more like 2-3 times weekly. Once a month is a blamed pipe dream here!

Also, the device is designed and priced to appeal to the person who reads frequently. I'd think that the very casual reader who actually only reads 15 hours monthly might not want to spend the money for this device. Tho there are exceptions, I'm sure!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:41 AM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
A dead battery in my H2O would cost me ~10€ for a new one and ~1 hour to replace (most of the time wasted on the battery glue and not wanting to break the display so you have to be super careful with that crowbar). I'm fine with that esp. since it might never come to that in the first place.
Where would you buy a battery for the H2O?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote