Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2017, 06:17 PM   #46
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
bigger screen smaller battery, smart idea not.
Well Kobo must have decided that lowering the weight offset the lower battery life. I've seen enough people here and elsewhere worrying about how heavy the devices are to think a lot of people think that is an important factor.
Quote:
i'm no more or less biased than any other kobo owner.
:r ofl: (I've read your posts, so that statement is extremely funny)
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:36 PM   #47
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
I had a Kobo Aura, a Kobo HD, a Kindle Paper White, and a Kobo H20 since it came out.

I come on this forum often to read the experiences of users, tips and tricks, new firmware, etc.

People seems to have so much problems with the Aura One...

I wonder if my next device should be a Kindle. Do they have that many problems too ?
i think the H2O as a clearer sharper screen than the KA1 i've done a side by side comparison plus it also as the advantage of having a external micro SD card slot unlike the KA1 obviously this is subjective, i'm sure there will be others on here relatively shortly that disagree with me.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 01-19-2017 at 06:44 PM.
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2017, 12:42 AM   #48
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post

I can literally charge my KA1 while I get ready for the day, and be good for a month. I charge my phone every night, I charge my watch every night (smart watch), charging an ereader once a month? Yeah lets call the presses on this horrible idea not.
That, I can live with too.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:49 AM   #49
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
i think the H2O as a clearer sharper screen than the KA1 i've done a side by side comparison plus it also as the advantage of having a external micro SD card slot unlike the KA1 obviously this is subjective, i'm sure there will be others on here relatively shortly that disagree with me.

best wishes koboy
I tried to look around the web for pictures and videos about both the Aura One and H2O, but I haven't really seen any good comparaison, side by side, about screen quality, clearer text or not.

The Aura One has 300 dpi, like the Kindle, but its screen is bigger. So, I guess it's probably not as sharp. The H2O has a lower dpi, 265 I think. But on a smaller screen. So, maybe it looks kind of the same as the Aura One. Of course, the number of led is something to consider. There is a difference between the whole Kindle series, even if they are all on 300 dpi. The number of led makes a difference.

I like my Kobo H2O, for its bigger screen, but I feel it's a tiny bit heavy and bulky. Not sure how the Aura One would feel holding it with one hand. That's one of the reasons sometimes I think about the Kindle.

Last edited by deleted2; 01-20-2017 at 12:54 AM.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:01 AM   #50
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I tried to look around the web for pictures and videos about both the Aura One and H2O, but I haven't really seen any good comparaison, side by side, about screen quality, clearer text or not.
I've had a brief look at the Aura ONE in a shop. I don't remember if I compared it to the Aura H2O that was next to it, but I wouldn't have said it was any worse than my Aura H2O.
Quote:
The Aura One has 300 dpi, like the Kindle, but its screen is bigger. So, I guess it's probably not as sharp. The H2O has a lower dpi, 265 I think. But on a smaller screen. So, maybe it looks kind of the same as the Aura One. Of course, the number of led is something to consider. There is a difference between the whole Kindle series, even if they are all on 300 dpi. The number of led makes a difference.
The dpi should be the important thing here. Unless whoever made the screen screwed up, or the graphics was messed up, 300dpi should be sharper no matter what the screen size. But comparing an image might be hard. That would get stretched for the higher resolution Aura ONE. Or shrunk for the Aura H2O. I think you would be better to look at font rendered to the same size on both devices.
Quote:

I like my Kobo H2O, for its bigger screen, but I feel it's a tiny bit heavy and bulky. Not sure how the Aura One would feel holding it with one hand. That's one of the reasons sometimes I think about the Kindle.
I've ended up in a similar boat. I got the Aura H2O because the light of my Glo failed (two plus hard years). When the Glo HD was released, it was a "why not" purchase. I've found I used the Glo HD almost exclusively because the size and weight fit better. Aura H2O is just enough bigger to be annoying without an real benefit to me. I'm wondering if the extra size of the Aura ONE puts it past that to the point it is useful to me. When they come back in stock here, I'll have another look. But, I'll have to leave my wallet at home.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2017, 05:13 AM   #51
Sir Loyne
Connoisseur
Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
The Aura One has 300 dpi, like the Kindle, but its screen is bigger. So, I guess it's probably not as sharp. The H2O has a lower dpi, 265 I think. But on a smaller screen.
It's dots per inch. Every square inch has 300 dots. Imagine a grid on a screen made of 1"x1" squares. Every square? 300 dots. When the screen is bigger those dots don't get spread out.
Sir Loyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:00 AM   #52
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
... There is a difference between the whole Kindle series, even if they are all on 300 dpi. ...
They are not all 300 DPI. In the current lineup, the 'Kindle' is 167 DPI, the rest are 300 DPI.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:24 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
Not. Batteries in readers are too big. They're bulky and heavy, exactly the things that portable and mobile devices should not be. Much larger screen and about the same weight as Aura H2O or Kindle Oasis (with cover) is brilliant.
I would love a larger capacity battery. If Kobo had made the Aura One the same weight as the H2O with a higher capacity battery, that would have been so much better. I don;t find the weight of the H2O to be a problem at all.

What I don't get is why people are complaining about weight. When The Sony Reader PRS-500 and the original Kindle came out, they were even heavier. Yet we didn't get the types of complaints about weight that we do now.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #54
psv
Connoisseur
psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, remarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would love a larger capacity battery. If Kobo had made the Aura One the same weight as the H2O with a higher capacity battery, that would have been so much better. I don;t find the weight of the H2O to be a problem at all.

What I don't get is why people are complaining about weight. When The Sony Reader PRS-500 and the original Kindle came out, they were even heavier. Yet we didn't get the types of complaints about weight that we do now.

In principle there is an easy way of lowering the weight and keeping large batteries, especially when the screen is larger - use the plastic substrate screens.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #55
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
In principle there is an easy way of lowering the weight and keeping large batteries, especially when the screen is larger - use the plastic substrate screens.
How much weight difference is there, say for a KA1 size screen?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:45 AM   #56
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
bigger screen smaller battery, smart idea not.

i'm no more or less biased than any other kobo owner.

embrace the diversity

best wishes koboy
I don't understand this complaint at all. Yeah the battery life on the Aura One was sacrificed for the sake of portability, but it's still quite long for a modern portable device (firmware glitches notwithstanding). This isn't the Kindle Oasis, not even close.

What is even the use case for this? On how many occasions are you going to be away from a wall outlet for several days, while still reading for hours every day?
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:57 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
I don't understand this complaint at all. Yeah the battery life on the Aura One was sacrificed for the sake of portability, but it's still quite long for a modern portable device (firmware glitches notwithstanding). This isn't the Kindle Oasis, not even close.

What is even the use case for this? On how many occasions are you going to be away from a wall outlet for several days, while still reading for hours every day?
A smaller battery means more charges and that means less overall time before the battery needs replacing.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #58
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
There are people using the original Nook, Kindle, and Kobo devices, without replacing the battery, and they still hold a charge. That's about 7 years of use give or take. I'd wager that in 7 years we'll see some advances that make upgrading worthwhile to even the tightest wallets.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #59
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Larger battery = more weight, and batteries are by and large the largest contributor to device weight. But if you really, really want more battery life without much additional weight/bulk then get a TravelCard.

Quote:
Two related reasons come to mind.

The first is that one of the tradeoffs made in portable devices is convenience of carry vs. convenience of use. As a rule, consumers prefer convenience of carry over convenience of use (this was a major factor in Palm's dominance in the PDA space). They see reductions in size (but not too small) and weight as improvements.

The second is that when PRS-500 and Kindle 1 were new, people like me carrying around notebooks and phones and PDAs and readers and whatever else (I was once described as being "horribly begadgeted") were the exception. Now they're the norm.

Taken together, weight is a legitimate concern for product designers. If the device is too heavy as perceived by the potential market then that market won't buy into it regardless of how good everything else is.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #60
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I've had a brief look at the Aura ONE in a shop. When they come back in stock here, I'll have another look. But, I'll have to leave my wallet at home.
Awwww - received your orders have you?

Try smiling winsomely
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote