Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-17-2017, 07:39 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Dedicated ereader

I am rather curious if you read with a dedicated ereader, why use a dedicated device when your smart phone can do that as well? I can see several reasons for this: no distractions of the smart phone, the ereader's epaper screen does not reflect sun light, dedicated ereaders have larger screens.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:56 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I am rather curious if you read with a dedicated ereader, why use a dedicated device when your smart phone can do that as well? I can see several reasons for this: no distractions of the smart phone, the ereader's epaper screen does not reflect sun light, dedicated ereaders have larger screens.
Backlit screens bother my eyes for long session reading (ie, reading a book). So I use an eink device for that. I'm okay using a phone or tablet for reading email and news articles.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2017, 07:57 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
I have no problem with distractions.
I do, however, strongly prefer to read on a 6" front-lit e-ink screen, with light somewhere at 5-10%.

I DO read on a phone when I am out and about. I used to lug around a 6" reader almost everywhere, but still I found myself in a situations when I only had phone available, so I happily used that for reading. Reading on a whatever device (including a dead tree) is much better than not reading at all, isn't it? ;-)

Recently I have purchased YotaPhone 2 with AMOLED and E-ink screens, so I use that when I am not at home, but I still prefer 6" reader when I have it available.

Please note that modern LCD phones, even cheap ones, are clearly superior to the devices I used to use as my main e-ink reader in the [distant] past.

At this moment I am rich enough (and the devices are cheap enough) to be able to afford several devices. If I had to choose just one, I would look for a 5" front-lit one for the best compromise between portability and readability. I used to love my 5" PocketBook 360°. Please note that the first Kindle sold [out] for $399 - that would be 460 dollars today, adjusted for inflation. Nowadays you can buy an e-ink reader with the fanciest HD screen AND a YotaPhone 2 for that money and still have some left for books ;-)

Last edited by kacir; 01-17-2017 at 08:07 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #4
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
I don't have Google on my e-reader, that's why. I try to buy only from independent booksellers. I don't want any marketing on any device I own or buy.
It's an Android, and I can get books from where I want. I can use an SD card with no complaints from the company.

I'll search for what I want - 99% of the stuff advertised is NOT what I'm interested in.

I also have an Android phone, and since I want the Play store, I can't get rid of all of Google. I don't see any ads now, and don't want them. (I've disabled all apps that would show ads - don't need them)

Last edited by Alpha o; 01-17-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #5
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Eink is much easier to read on. Plus, the screen size is so much better.

I have a cell phone, I never turn it on unless I need to make a call. I can't imagine reading on that screen. Instant headache.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #6
Dusky Rose
Connoisseur
Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Ipad mini retina, Kindle Voyage and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Backlit screens bother my eyes for long session reading (ie, reading a book). So I use an eink device for that. I'm okay using a phone or tablet for reading email and news articles.
I'm about the same, although I do read some books on my tablet, an Ipad mini. I also like the way the tablets can hold my whole library.

But a dedicated reader is SO much easier on my eyes, both during the day and night. eInk is just the better choice for that.

I also have an iPhone 6+ and got the larger size on purpose. The resolution is good, but reading on it for long periods of time would be a strain and annoying. I can enlarge the fonts, but then would spend most of my time turning pages.
Dusky Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:33 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

And less weight for the same size screen
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #8
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
If I'm going to run down the battery on my phone, it will be for something photo related, not book related. My current phone has really good battery life, but there are times when it does unexpectedly run down, for one reason or another (usually because I've taken or edited an excessive amount of photos) and I appreciate that 15% or 10% that is still there because I was conservative in other ways, like not reading on it.

More realistically, I don't read on my phone because I think the screen is too small. I'll make do with a 6" eink screen because it's weighs a lot less in my bag than my 10" tablet does, but I prefer to read on a tablet. I get frustrated just looking at the little column of text on my phone; it's pretty much the same reason I don't read mass market paperback books.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:44 PM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Distractions don't bother me either, but the tiny screen on the phone does. The phone screen can't be read in bright light, direct sunlight is impossible, and I read outside quite a bit. Front-lit e-ink screens are much easier on the eyes for reading over backlit LCD screens, especially for long periods. The phone battery drains much too quickly for the amount of time I spend reading daily as well, whereas I can go 3+ weeks most times before I have to recharge my ereader with an e-ink screen.

So screen size, screen readability in all light conditions, reading comfort and battery life are the main reasons I only read on my ereader and would never consider using my phone.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:48 PM   #10
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
I don't have a smart phone, I like to read outside, I like to read in bed w/o bothering my husband, I like e-ink, Kindle PW is dirt cheap so if it gets lost, stolen, or broken...
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:04 PM   #11
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Comfort.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:15 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't use a dedicated ereader. But neither do I use a smartphone (small or large). I use a 6" tablet exclusively. I don't get distracted, and even my old eyes don't have any trouble reading for long periods of time. Neither sunlight nor battery-life is a factor in my reading habits.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I mostly read with my H2O because I like the way it look. It's very easy on the eyes and the size is very nice. I can comfortably have the font sizes I want/need. If my eyes start to get tired enough, I can up the font size so it;s easier to see. Also, with my H2O, the battery life is much better than my phone.

I do read on my phone when I am out and about and don't have my H2O with me. My phone is not bad to read with.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:38 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I mostly read with my H2O because I like the way it look. It's very easy on the eyes and the size is very nice. I can comfortably have the font sizes I want/need. If my eyes start to get tired enough, I can up the font size so it;s easier to see. Also, with my H2O, the battery life is much better than my phone.

I do read on my phone when I am out and about and don't have my H2O with me. My phone is not bad to read with.

Make certain you have a case on that, Jon, even if you're reading in the shower and also making a salad at the same time. *

* = Seinfeld.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #15
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I don't have a cell phone and if I did it would be too small for reading for me. I like ereaders because they are lighter than tablets and the battery lasts much longer and I simply dislike the tablet interface on either tablets or cell phones. Give me a mouse and keyboard or at least buttons and I'm happy. With either of those I never touch the wrong thing and move off of where I was or go to the wrong link. I got so frustrated with my Fire it just sits on a shelf gathering dust. A phone, being smaller, would be much worse.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote