Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2016, 09:15 AM   #1
sekai
Nameless Being

Automatically create collections based on folders?

Hi,
I have a Kobo Aura H2O currently running Software version: "3.19.5761 (oeo28f3185,12/29/15)", and my desktop operating system of choice is MacOSX.
I'm new to the whole ereader thing, and I was wondering if there was a way to create collections on the kobo using folders.

I bought it mainly for manga, and it treats every chapter as a separate book, this leads to the library become very cluttered. If I could have a collection for each manga series, it would make it a much easier device to use.

I noticed that there were some custom firmware/software (or something like that) for the Kobo ereaders, and I was wondering if maybe those would help me achieve my goal?
Someone recommended koreader to me, and I (think) that I need to use KSM for it. I was doing some research about KSM, but I couldn't really find much visual media showcasing it, like pictures, or even a youtube video. Is there a noob's quickstart guide to this?

Another thing I was wondering was, is it possible to switch the internal sdcard with a higher capacity one? I have a 64GB sdcard, and if I could have 2 in my reader (one internal, and one external), it would be very cool.

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2016, 10:25 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I use KOReader, which currently doesn't do "collections", but you might look into the collection management that calibre can provide.

KOReader now has its own forum. Tshering's Kobo Start Menu (KSM8) is the best way to launch KOReader and has a number of features that the slightly technical of us can make good use of, but there are other ways to launch KOReader, as well.

KSM, as the name implies presents menus of scripts that when selected can do many things, of primary concern here would be its ability to select and launch the stock software (Nickel) or KOReader or the Vlasovsoft Launcher with Coolreader. The KSM8 thread. The first post provides a lot of information but the actual installation is relatively straight forward.

Here is an install guide, that might help. It won't hurt to install just the additional readers you want, or install them all, there is no performance penalty to having them all.

Memory Upgrade guide. This will probably effect the waterproofing of your H2O, (the neoprene glue used to repair wetsuits has been suggested as a way to restore the seal.).

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2016, 10:39 AM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Automatically create collections based on folders?
Have a look at my AutoShelf mod: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=254554

Quote:
is it possible to switch the internal sdcard with a higher capacity one?
Magic Memory Upgrade Mod: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=261578

It works fine, however, opening the H2O destroys the water seal and voids warranty. So you should only do it if you really need it.

The original Kobo software does not handle comics particularly well. It creates a database entry for each comic page, that's really, ... I love Kobo and the firmware and everything but the amount of crud in the database is just ... ugh.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:54 PM   #4
sekai
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I use KOReader
I've installed KSM, and it went smoothly; I also installed KOReader, is it meant to just be a file manager?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Have a look at my AutoShelf mod
I've installed the autoshelf mod, but I've yet to make it work.

I think that both of these new features are stifled by my sdcard now not working after installing KSM. It works when put into an sdcard reader, but when put into the kobo it says 'you have an sdcard' (or whatever it says, I can't remember), and then doesn't import books. Also, in KOReader /mnt/sd looks like:
/Volumes/EFI
└── koboExtStorage
.......├── dict
.......├── images-cache
.......└── kepub
and is called 'EFI' when the kobo is in usb mode, and this will come up regardless if there is an sdcard in the kobo or not.

Last edited by sekai; 01-17-2016 at 03:55 PM. Reason: missed a couple letters out
Old 01-17-2016, 04:42 PM   #5
sekai
Nameless Being

I found the reason, apparently the OSX Disk Manager automatically creates a 200MB EFI partition on disks transparently, and without notifying you, at the beginning of the disk.
I'm looking into a fix, but at least I found the cause.
Advert
Old 01-17-2016, 04:55 PM   #6
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekai View Post
I think that both of these new features are stifled by my sdcard now not working after installing KSM.
Could you try to select in KSM
  • tools > external sd.msh > show mount info sd.sh
in order to see whether the sd card is mounted? If I remember correctly, there were two users who reported that the external sd card is not recognized each time at boot. We where unable to find the cause then.

If the sd is not mounted, could you try
  • tools > activate > set runmenu settings.msh > alternateNickel
The effect will be that at every second power on, the device will boot directly into the Kobo's original software. Look whether it reads the books then from the external sd.

Last edited by tshering; 01-17-2016 at 05:01 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:11 PM   #7
sekai
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Could you try to select in KSM
  • tools > external sd.msh > show mount info sd.sh
in order to see whether the sd card is mounted?
The sdcard was mounted, but the wrong partition due to OSX's disk manager idiocy
Old 01-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #8
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Maybe this information might help.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:22 PM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

KOReader starts in its File Manager with it defaulting to "/mnt/onboard". You probably need to navigate to wherever your book files are located. The "../" takes you backwards in the file structure. "mnt/sd" is your external uSD card. Once you have the folder you want to start File Manager in, you can long press on it to get an option to set it as your File Manager home page.

For instance I have my ebook library at "/mnt/sd/.Koreader/Books" (the ".Koreader" directory is "Hidden" in that the stock Kobo processing will not see the folders and files that are placed inside it).

Luck;
Ken
Old 01-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #10
sekai
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Maybe this information might help.
Thanks! The graphical solution from this was outdated, but the command line solution worked just fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
KOReader starts in its File Manager with it defaulting to "/mnt/onboard".
Ok, I was a little confused, but that was partly because I didn't have any books to test it with; thanks for clearing it up!

Would it be useful to do a little write up on my experiences, from a noobs' perspective, so that people like me can feel more at ease doing a modification like this for the first time?
Old 01-18-2016, 11:41 AM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekai View Post
Thanks! The graphical solution from this was outdated, but the command line solution worked just fine

Ok, I was a little confused, but that was partly because I didn't have any books to test it with; thanks for clearing it up!

Would it be useful to do a little write up on my experiences, from a noobs' perspective, so that people like me can feel more at ease doing a modification like this for the first time?
Such a post would be great for the KOReader forum.

Luck;
Ken