Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-14-2015, 11:12 PM   #61
leftright
Addict
leftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Glo
Has the Glo's ghosting been fixed in 3.16 ?.
leftright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:21 PM   #62
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftright View Post
The ghosting in the menus that started in 3.15.0 hasn't been fixed, but that could be the reason 3.16.0 wasn't released for the Glo. It would be interesting to hear if anyone with a Touch encounters this problem.

(Edit In 3.15.0 that ghosting problem can be solved by adding LeanAndMean=false to the [FeatureSettings] section of the config file, but that doesn't work in 3.16.0)

Edit: And I should add for those who haven't upgraded to 3.15.0 yet and might be put off by reading the above: the ghosting doesn't affect reading books, because in 3.15.0 and 3.16.0 a full refresh is done after closing the menus and returning to the book. It affects things like browsing in the library where no refresh is done after closing menus.

Last edited by GeoffR; 06-14-2015 at 11:34 PM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2015, 11:43 PM   #63
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftright View Post
From what others have said, no. But, there is something to try that I should have thought of before.

There is a little bug in the firmware update that means the kernel does not get installed properly for the Glo, Mini and N905C Touch. The cause is the name of the kernel. The install script generates a name based on the hardware, but a file of the correct names do not exist for these three devices. Hence, an updated kernel is not installed.

The workaround is to create the appropriate file by renaming the existing file. The file in the update package is:
Code:
 "update/m50-tx/uImage"
For the Glo, this needs to be renamed to:
Code:
 "update/m50-tx/uImage-E606B0"
To do this, you need to do a manual install of the firmware. Copy all the files in the update package to the .kobo directory of the device. This includes the "update" directory above. Then rename the file and disconnect.

I have done this on my Glo, and the ghosting seems to be less. The ghosting in the dictionary popup is still there, but the ghosting from menus isn't. But, I don't use the Glo much, so maybe I'm missing something.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:57 PM   #64
bonnerable
Connoisseur
bonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kobo Mini, Glo HD, Inkbook Prime HD, Kobo Libra
Hi, does anybody know if I can use the Touch firmware on my Mini?
I'm still stuck at 3.4.1 on my mini.
bonnerable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:04 AM   #65
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnerable View Post
Hi, does anybody know if I can use the Touch firmware on my Mini?
I'm still stuck at 3.4.1 on my mini.
I can't test as I don't have a Mini. But, it probably will be OK. There were reports of 3.15.0 working OK on the Mini if you want to try that while waiting for someone else to try 3.16.0.
Advert
Old 06-15-2015, 12:06 AM   #66
bonnerable
Connoisseur
bonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

hi davidfor, maybe i'll give it a try on the 3.16... fingers crossed. lol :P
Old 06-15-2015, 12:07 AM   #67
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
To do this, you need to do a manual install of the firmware. Copy all the files in the update package to the .kobo directory of the device. This includes the "update" directory above. Then rename the file and disconnect.
I have just done this on my Glo (manually updated mark4 firmware 3.16.0 with "upgrade/mx50-ntx/uImage" renamed to "upgrade/mx50-ntx/uImage-E606B0") but it hasn't had any effect on the menu ghosting problem.

Edit: Apart from the menu ghosting, there are a couple of other bad effects to do with the colour scheme that started in 3.15.0 (but disappeared when LeanAndMean=false was used):

1. When I select a menu item and it inverts, the inverted colour is no longer white on black but light grey on dark grey. These strange coloured inversions seem to be related to the ghosting in that the ghost they leave is much darker than the ghost from oher objects that are in a black and white scheme.

2. The screen background colour is no longer white but very light grey in many places. It is not obvious because it is a very light shade of grey, but I can see it clearly in the book details view when I select one of the synopsis or details buttons: the newly selected button has a white background that is noticably whiter than the rest of the screen, even though the whole screen had just been refreshed when the details view was opened.

Edit2: And I just thought of a possible explaination for the new menu colour scheme causing exra ghosting: When the menus are in black and white the partial refresh code only has to refresh the black part, but when the menus are in a two-tone grey scheme the code has to refresh both parts. Perhaps the partial refresh code hasn't been updated and is just refreshing the dark grey part, which leaves the light grey part remaining on the screen like a very heavy ghost.

Last edited by GeoffR; 06-15-2015 at 01:18 AM. Reason: ... a possible explaination ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:36 AM   #68
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I have just done this on my Glo (manually updated mark4 firmware 3.16.0 with "upgrade/mx50-ntx/uImage" renamed to "upgrade/mx50-ntx/uImage-E606B0") but it hasn't had any effect on the menu ghosting problem.
Well, that blows that theory.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:24 AM   #69
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
With the Glo HD I still have it,when waking the device, that a part of the txt is fainted, it isn't sharp.
Tapping twice will solve it.
It seems like it is more with epub then kepub, I can't give any explaination why.
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:05 AM   #70
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Well, that blows that theory.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:29 AM   #71
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The ghosting in the menus that started in 3.15.0 hasn't been fixed, but that could be the reason 3.16.0 wasn't released for the Glo. It would be interesting to hear if anyone with a Touch encounters this problem.
At least the dictionary pop-ups have still a terrible ghosting. I cannot exactly remember how bad the ghosting was with menus and other stuff. So I do not know whether there is an improvement.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:12 AM   #72
bonnerable
Connoisseur

Quote:
hi davidfor, maybe i'll give it a try on the 3.16... fingers crossed. lol :P
Boy, oh boy! Using the Kobo Touch update worked on my Mini and the UI sooooo much better now!
- navigation is smoother & faster
- main UI fonts/grey shades are now darker
- initial book load from power on is slightly faster
- miscellaneous navigational improvements

The downside I've noticed
- bad ghosting in UI, menus & pop-up menus (maybe due to darker shade above)
- font shade inside book is lighter (I just adjusted the weight to make darker)
Old 06-15-2015, 11:26 AM   #73
Namenlos
Enthusiast
Namenlos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
The downside I've noticed
- bad ghosting in UI, menus & pop-up menus (maybe due to darker shade above)
- font shade inside book is lighter (I just adjusted the weight to make darker)
Try adding/setting "LeanAndMean=false" in the file .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf right under [FeatureSettings]. I think I had to add the line on my Mini, right now after the update [FeatureSettings] is located below [Chess]…WhiteIsHuman=true and above [GoogleAnalytics].

3.16 seems to run fine on the Mini. I updated from 3.15 and copied all file content sans md5 to the .kobo dir.
Namenlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:37 AM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
LeanAndMean doesn't work in 3.16.0 according to GeoffR.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:29 PM   #75
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
Yes,and explained how
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1305

Compared with the kepubs,the epubs are still reacting much slower on my Glo HD, ticking on a book on the frontpage I was ticking it twice more because it looks like it was unresponsive, but it really takes about 3 seconds to open an epub from frontpage or library.
Thanks for this, I'll give it a try.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote