Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2015, 07:56 PM   #61
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've fixed the link. The correct link is...

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/p-is-for-peril-2
Unless you are in Australia and the link is http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebo...lhone-novel-16. My bet would be that the UK get this one as well. The Kiwi's probably get both.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:54 PM   #62
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Best to offer competitive prices across the board with coupons and promotions reserved for genuine bargains.
I have to disagree with this idea, if Kobo lowers the headline price then other retailers will simply price match, and Kobo's competitive advantage is lost. By using promo coupons Kobo can sustain a lower actual price without others being able to automatically price match.

The main problem is that there are some publishers who don't allow their books to be discounted, and so in my opinion Kobo need to find other discounting schemes that those publishers can accept.

One way might be not to discount the book itself but to provide a rebate or reward points, so the buyer would pay full retail price for the book but still get an effective discount. OmniLit do this with their 50% rebate scheme. For some reason it seems some publishers are willing to accept this sort of scheme when they won't accept their book being sold at a discount price, even though the customer ends up with a discount anyway.

I would also like to see a loyalty scheme from Kobo, where every book I buy from them gives me points towards a new ereader. The advantage for Kobo is that it is a discount that can't be price-matched automatically, it should be acceptable to publishers who are opposed to discounting the book price, and it gives customers with other devices an incentive to switch to Kobo (and those with Kobo devices to remain with Kobo) when they come to buy their next device. If they don't use their points to switch to a Kobo device, then it has cost Kobo nothing, and if they do switch to or remain with Kobo then it can be counted as a successful promotion.

Last edited by GeoffR; 01-12-2015 at 10:00 PM. Reason: ... it should be acceptable to publishers who are opposed to discounting the book price ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2015, 11:53 PM   #63
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
These kind of 'general' discount coupons (like Perkopolis) could also be used in 'international' Kobo stores but now they seem only redeemable in just a few countries. Probably only the countries that participate in the contest: CA, USA, and UK.
During the last few weeks I got the occasional non-contest code working again in the German store.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:16 AM   #64
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
@GeoffR. Unfortunately from my limited experience Kobo seems to charge higher prices and the discount coupons where they are available simply bring them down to around what its competitors are charging anyway. If it is in fact consistently cheaper to purchase from Kobo with vouchers than to purchase from Amazon or Google then this seems to have escaped many of us. Some of the examples on this thread certainly indicate otherwise.

What do others think? I would be happy for you to be correct, but the whole premise of this thread seems to be that Kobo is simply not competitive on far too many products. If only Kobo had a competitive advantage to lose!
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:24 AM   #65
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerinexile View Post
Buy elsewhere, load the books onto the Kobo using Calibre.

Google Play books can be managed with ADE easily enough...
Hah! My father will thank you for this. (Technically will thank me.) Awesome. Thanks for the information. I don't use Calibre but it seems it will be fairly necessary that I do.
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2015, 05:34 AM   #66
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
@GeoffR. Unfortunately from my limited experience Kobo seems to charge higher prices and the discount coupons where they are available simply bring them down to around what its competitors are charging anyway. If it is in fact consistently cheaper to purchase from Kobo with vouchers than to purchase from Amazon or Google then this seems to have escaped many of us. Some of the examples on this thread certainly indicate otherwise.

What do others think? I would be happy for you to be correct, but the whole premise of this thread seems to be that Kobo is simply not competitive on far too many products. If only Kobo had a competitive advantage to lose!
That is not my experience in NZ, I find Kobo is typically within 10% of Amazon's or Google's price, so even a 20% coupon makes Kobo cheaper, and a 30% or 35% coupon makes Kobo much cheaper.

Amazon have some big discounts on certain books so you can always find some examples where they are cheaper by a long way, but it is Amazon who chooses which books to dicsount, whereas with Kobo's promo codes I choose (except for two publishers who don't allow discounts.) I'd rather have a 20% discount on a book I want to read than an 80% discount on one I don't.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:18 AM   #67
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
That is not my experience in NZ, I find Kobo is typically within 10% of Amazon's or Google's price, so even a 20% coupon makes Kobo cheaper, and a 30% or 35% coupon makes Kobo much cheaper.

Amazon have some big discounts on certain books so you can always find some examples where they are cheaper by a long way, but it is Amazon who chooses which books to dicsount, whereas with Kobo's promo codes I choose (except for two publishers who don't allow discounts.) I'd rather have a 20% discount on a book I want to read than an 80% discount on one I don't.
I looked at a sample of ebooks I was proposing to buy when I first came across the discount coupons thread some time ago. At that time I was quite shocked by the difference in prices. So your experience has not been my experience so far, but I have certainly not made a detailed study of the matter or looked at it again recently. Based on your comments I will have a closer look in the future. Thanks. In the meantime, does anyone else care to comment?
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #68
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I have to disagree with this idea, if Kobo lowers the headline price then other retailers will simply price match, and Kobo's competitive advantage is lost. By using promo coupons Kobo can sustain a lower actual price without others being able to automatically price match.
I realize that a lot of folks have come to terms with the coupon method of price competition at Kobo, but -- personally -- I just don't like it. I pretty much have the attitude ... "if that's the price they're asking, I'll go elsewhere." This is probably one of my biggest problems with dealing with Kobo and it's why I buy so little from them. I don't like to dicker over prices. I compare, but I compare the advertised prices ... not the price I might be able to get it for if I can find a coupon code that will work. I guess I just wish the process was more straightforward.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:46 AM   #69
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
In general, Kobo should pay more attention to international customers and countries: countries of which the official language is not English.
Not just by adding new countries to participate in a (monthly) contest - if permitted under local regulations and laws - but offer (attractive) discounts on book titles in their native language as most customers prefer to read in their native language.
For example: I have not yet seen or found any discount coupon code or special offer that was issued for an 'important' or 'national day' in let's say France, Germany, Spain or The Netherlands. Like Canada day for Canada, or the 4th of July for the USA.[/LIST]
That's because it's against the law in many European countries. So the publisher is the one setting the price. The publisher -and only the publisher- is free to change a book price (a one-day deal, for instance), then all the book sellers will apply this new price.
That's why the books that are eligible to a discount are the ones published outside the country. I was able to get a discount on an ebook written in French because it was published by a Canadian company.

Edit: bold part for emphasis
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:47 AM   #70
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@samhy. The Wikipedia page is about FBA for printed books not ebooks.
In The Netherlands there is no fixed price agreement for ebooks as there is for printed books.
I decided to look it up. There are no fixed ebook prices in Italy, Japan, The Netherlands, and Portugal but these countries do have a FPA on printed books.
Countries not mentioned in the report do not have a FPA for print and ebooks. I.e.: Belgium.

Source: Global Fixed Book Price Report

In the The Netherlands there is a de facto fixed book price for ebooks as all booksellers list their book titles at the MSRP. The main reasons are
  1. lack of competition among (online) booksellers. Why? See b)
  2. by habit, as there is a fixed book price scheme in place for print; and silently apply this scheme to ebooks is good for the bottom line.
  3. maybe there is some pressure from publishers or agreement with publishers not to compete openly on price.

Note: c) that's why discount coupons are convenient. To offer silent discounts.

Last edited by Anak; 01-13-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:00 PM   #71
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Maybe Amazon is large enough to get price deals from publishers or sell at lower prices until some of the competition is eliminated. This seemed to work in USA.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:44 PM   #72
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
A further example of inexplicable price difference between Kobo Aus and Amazon Aus:

Author: Kerry Greenwood
Phyrne Fisher mysteries series

Kobo
Cocaine Blues (bk 1)
$15.49
In fact whole series seems $15.49

Amazon:
Cocaine Blues: $10.92
In fact whole series mainly between $10 and $11 with exception of a couple between $11 and $12.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kerry_greenwood.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	133753   Click image for larger version

Name:	kerry_greenwood_amazon.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	133754  
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:00 PM   #73
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another example: Peter Corris' Cliff Hardy PI series

Kobo
whole series seems to be $13.19, with the exception of No 3 & no 4 both $1.99 (Amazon $1.89 for both).

Amazon
Bulk of the series between $8 and $9, and some between $10 and $12.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:45 PM   #74
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I realize that a lot of folks have come to terms with the coupon method of price competition at Kobo, but -- personally -- I just don't like it. I pretty much have the attitude ... "if that's the price they're asking, I'll go elsewhere." This is probably one of my biggest problems with dealing with Kobo and it's why I buy so little from them. I don't like to dicker over prices. I compare, but I compare the advertised prices ... not the price I might be able to get it for if I can find a coupon code that will work. I guess I just wish the process was more straightforward.
In New Zealand Kobo prices are in the local currency, while most other retailers including Amazon charge in foreign currency, so if I buy from amazon I have to calculate how much I am going to get charged using a currency converter, plus how much extra I will be charged in foreign currency transaction fees by my bank. Kobo promo codes are simple by comparison.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:15 AM   #75
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

I'm not overly keen on the idea of buying a Kobo book (or series) that is priced dearer than Amazon on the basis that I'll have a code to bring the price down.

Not all that many ebooks in Aus are discountable , so codes don't work anyway.

Also, Aus is officially excluded from entering the Contest, and although the Contest codes worked on Aus discountable ebooks, Kobo stopped that maybe 4 months ago now.

Also a code is single use, that is for use on one book only, so it means waiting around until you've got a code before you can buy a discountable book.

Further, it's useless when Kobo emails codes to be used with a particular list because the book/s you want to buy won't be on the list.

In the two examples of Kobo/Amazon pricing differene I gave above a number of those books are discountable (but from memory not all of the Miss Fisher series) so it would take a good code to bring the price into comparison with Amazon and where do I get that code from?

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 01-14-2015 at 02:20 AM.