Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #46
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The fonts are in seperate files; just not on the user side of the Kobo.

You need to expand the tgz file from the upgrade and look within it.

but I seem to recall they are either encrypted, or obfusticated.
Hi Peter,
Thanks indeed for the reply. I'll have a play, and see if I can figure out how to get access to them. But I guess then I have to find some way of returning the modified font to its original encryption etc. (And the next F/W update, it all gets undone. Hmm ...)

Not a great use of time, I guess. But I appreciate the reply.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:46 AM   #47
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
Why isn't 3.1 available in the "direct link to firmware" thread? I think 2.10, 3.0 and 3.0.1 were uploaded there immediately after their release, isn't it?
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2013, 05:01 AM   #48
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by volpo View Post
I sideloaded 3.0.0.(1) For some reason my Touch always seems to be on the last to update list so I sideload everything. I like the 'new' interface but that ~1 minute to sleep bug is sooo annoying. If 3.1.0 fixes it and is not available for the Touch it would be a shame.
I can't say for sure it's fixed, but my Touch doesn't have the problem any more since updating to 3.01, so maybe ... ;-)
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:35 AM   #49
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploum View Post
Why isn't 3.1 available in the "direct link to firmware" thread? I think 2.10, 3.0 and 3.0.1 were uploaded there immediately after their release, isn't it?
Kobo do not publish the link. It is discovered by someone who watches the download using network tools. That means it has to go to someone who has the tools and knowledge to use them. Until that happens, no link.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #50
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Kobo do not publish the link. It is discovered by someone who watches the download using network tools. That means it has to go to someone who has the tools and knowledge to use them. Until that happens, no link.
Thanks, I*didn't know that. Very interesting.
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2013, 06:32 AM   #51
_pietro
Connoisseur
_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
Quote:
Here are the changes that I know of. There might be more. I don't know what differences there are between devices.
  • Library settings has "Book management" settings.
    • Allows to remove download books, previews or "imported" books
    • And Pocket article management has been moved here.
    • Includes counts of books and total sizes.
  • "Pocket" settings page has been removed.
  • Menu on "Reading Stats" and "Awards" now has "Dictionary".
  • Disabling the info panel now works for both sleep and power off.

Fixed bugs:
  • Light level not being set to 0%.
  • Font changing when reading an epub on the SD card and the device has been to sleep while reading.
  • In-margin page numbers displayed when reading an epub on the SD card after the device has been to sleep while reading.
  • Doesn't go back to sleep after about a minute if the screen isn't touched.

The above is from my notes with the beta firmware versions and a quick check with the released firmware.
touch, bug is still present
_pietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #52
Athropos
Connoisseur
Athropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blueAthropos can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Aura HD
Quote:
More useful would be the link used by the device to check for a new firmware, which I suppose provides the device the actual link to the firmware. I suppose the request could be emulated from a PC, using various proxies if Kobo uses IP geolocation to decide whether the new firmware should be served.

Has someone tried that?
Athropos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:47 AM   #53
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Wait until it goes to sleep automatically (after whatever time you have set in the settings), then wake it, and it will go back to sleep in about a minute.

If you put it to sleep manually then it works fine, it is only after it has gone to sleep automatically that the bug manifests.
Lucky you. I seem to get it either way.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #54
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by _pietro View Post
touch, bug is still present
Do you mean that this bug is still there for the Touch? If so, how did you get 3.1.0? It isn't being sent out to the Touch. Only the Glo, Aura and Aura HD.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #55
thp1017
Connoisseur
thp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo, KT, KGlo, H2O, Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post

Helen
Hmm, same here - I use the switch pretty much all of the time, and this was happening all of the time to me... I've about retrained myself to pull up the menus immediately so it doesn't happen, but I'm definitely looking forward to the bug fix.
thp1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #56
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
David, do you get any impression that the Mini is being phased out? I noticed Mondadori (Kobo affiliate in Italy) does not sell it any longer - it could be that 5" are not popular, but coupled with the slower pace of firmware updates for the Mini as compared to the other devices, wonder whether the Mini is on the way out...
The Kobo Mini is absolutely being phased out; I've heard this directly from multiple members of the Kobo staff. They're gone from Canadian retailers, and no more are being manufactured.

(I love the Mini, even though it lacks backlight and Micro SD slot. Just picked up a second one at a Staples store in Winnipeg -- but it was an open-box they'd had since April; none of the Staples, Chapters/Indigo, or Future Shop stores I've checked in person in Toronto, Winnipeg, or Ottawa have stock anymore; Staples.ca; Indigo.ca Futureshop.com; Kobo.com (the Canadian version) -- out of stock at all of them.)

Last edited by RobertJSawyer; 12-02-2013 at 11:49 AM.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #57
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Firmware 3.1.0 has rolled out via Wi-Fi to my Kobo Glo here in Toronto. So far, so good.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #58
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post

Helen
It's the same here. Gotta read that 1st page within a minute or else :-)
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #59
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploum View Post
I don't put a link into the Direct Links post until someone posts the link publicly on MobileRead. Or unless I discover it myself, but being in Australia, I tend to be at the arse-end of the update world.

For non-publicly disclosed links, they will be put into the Direct Links post once a subsequent release is made (and I get around to it).
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #60
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
One thing I have seen with 3.1.0 is what I would call a "break" in the handling of some text / font's in certain books.

This was taken with the book set to Document Defaults, but is as broken with any other font selection.

I didn't hang on to the actual screen shot from a previous version on the Glo but do have a shot from a Mini on 2.6.2 and a Glo on 3.1.0. The font changed on the Glo POST 3.0.0 if I remember correctly.

The book in question is:
The Everything Stir-Fry Cookbook by Nam Nguyen. ISBN 9781440561580 from the Toronto Public Library.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo_mini.png
Views:	504
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	116110   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo_glo.png
Views:	504
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	116111  
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote