Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #31
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploum View Post
Any idea if the wifi issues are fixed with 3.1*?
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...12#post2700212. It hasn't reached enough people yet to find more changes.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #32
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysKin View Post
Nickel is the name of the program that starts when Kobo starts. Everything you see after the boot is Nickel.
I missed your post yesterday.

Thanks.

Nevertheless, just to be sure another question. So if nickel is "everything", can I say that nickel = firmware? I mean, can I say that I have 3.0.1. version of nickel while I'm waiting for nickel 3.1.0 pre-announced by PeterT?
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #33
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
What are you on, Volpo?

I synched my Touch last night with the desktop, and was surprised as all get-out that it's been upgraded to 3.01! (I haven't seen any mention of that on these threads, but maybe I just haven't looked in the right places.)

I wish we could modify the fonts included in the firmware. A few of them have really annoying kerning issues (like Amasis with any word containing "rr") that are distracting when reading. No doubt they'll be way down any priority list, so I'd be happy to fix them myself ... but the fonts don't exist in separate files, do they?
I sideloaded 3.0.0.(1) For some reason my Touch always seems to be on the last to update list so I sideload everything. I like the 'new' interface but that ~1 minute to sleep bug is sooo annoying. If 3.1.0 fixes it and is not available for the Touch it would be a shame.

Last edited by volpo; 12-01-2013 at 12:43 PM.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #34
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
Hey, what about us Mini users?

The device is only about 18 months on the
market, surely they will support it for a while longer?
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #35
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

DomesticExtremis: We don't know. I have tried a few times to get an answer from Kobo about the Mini. So far, they haven't commented.
Advert
Old 12-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #36
sysKin
Connoisseur
sysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Aura HD, after a train ate my Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
Nevertheless, just to be sure another question. So if nickel is "everything", can I say that nickel = firmware? I mean, can I say that I have 3.0.1. version of nickel while I'm waiting for nickel 3.1.0 pre-announced by PeterT?
I wouldn't say nickel is "everything" but rather "everything you see on the screen". What you don't see is the kernel, which is linux.

Soooo if you asked me "what firmware runs on kobos" my answer would be "mostly linux and nickel" lol. Many hacks in Developer Corner involve shutting down nickel and starting some other program in its place.

To answer your question, I would rather say firmware (as a whole) has a version rather than nickel has a version.

Apologies for mostly-off-topic-ness of this post
I'm looking forward for those two fixes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
  • Light level not being set to 0%.
  • Doesn't go back to sleep after about a minute if the screen isn't touched.

Last edited by sysKin; 12-01-2013 at 08:18 PM.
sysKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #37
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis View Post

They will support it for a long time, whether they will update it is another issue.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #38
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
They will support it for a long time, whether they will update it is another issue.
The Mini is my favorite Kobo device. I hope that it doesn't fall by the wayside with firmware updates.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #39
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I just saw some notes about the Original (Bluetooth) and the WiFi on the Kobo site, and changes to the Desktop app to re-support them. So, yup!

Phil
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #40
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volpo View Post
I sideloaded 3.0.0.(1) For some reason my Touch always seems to be on the last to update list so I sideload everything. I like the 'new' interface but that ~1 minute to sleep bug is sooo annoying. If 3.1.0 fixes it and is not available for the Touch it would be a shame.
My Touch upgraded to 3.0.1 a couple of days ago. I just restarted from sleep about 3 minutes ago, and it's still awake. How long should I wait?
Old 12-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #41
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
My Touch upgraded to 3.0.1 a couple of days ago. I just restarted from sleep about 3 minutes ago, and it's still awake. How long should I wait?
Wait until it goes to sleep automatically (after whatever time you have set in the settings), then wake it, and it will go back to sleep in about a minute.

If you put it to sleep manually then it works fine, it is only after it has gone to sleep automatically that the bug manifests.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #42
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I'm happy with my Mini. If they want to upgrade it to be more like new Aura trying to make it more rugged and smaller with plastic screen and front light maybe that would be ok. Maybe not ok because part of Mini's appeal is low price.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #43
pholy
Booklegger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Wait until it goes to sleep automatically (after whatever time you have set in the settings), then wake it, and it will go back to sleep in about a minute.

If you put it to sleep manually then it works fine, it is only after it has gone to sleep automatically that the bug manifests.
Indeed! It took ten minutes the first time, as you described. This time, after waking from the automatic sleep, it slept again in just over a minute, perhaps 70 seconds... bummer... Or just an odd quirk? I can't imagine that they planned it that way. I guess you just can't let yourself be distracted when you decide It's time to read...
Old 12-02-2013, 12:17 AM   #44
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Indeed! It took ten minutes the first time, as you described. This time, after waking from the automatic sleep, it slept again in just over a minute, perhaps 70 seconds... bummer... Or just an odd quirk? I can't imagine that they planned it that way. I guess you just can't let yourself be distracted when you decide It's time to read...
My understanding is that with the Glo and other devices that use a sleep cover, it is deliberate that if the cover is opened but the screen not touched it goes back to sleep after 70 seconds. This is to prevent battery waste if the cover accidentally opens in a bag. The bug is that this behaviour shouldn't happen when using the switch to wake any of the devices.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:47 AM   #45
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis View Post

A few weeks back, Kobo issued an update for the Kobo WiFi. From that, I'd suspect the Mini will be supported for quite a while longer. Whether it will get some of the newer features (Pocket for example) is another discussion.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 12-02-2013 at 12:51 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote