Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #226
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
My biggest bugbear is that they don't have a shopping cart on their book site. If I want to buy six books, I have to buy each one individually. They have to bear the cost of six individual credit card charges and I, the cost of six individual international exchange rate charges instead of just one. Dale
While I agree I would also prefer a cart but simply for convience sake, there is actually no difference credit card wise. No credit cards that I know of charge for transactions so weather it be one bulk charge or lots of small ones makes no difference and the kobo books store will charge you in Aussie dollars so there are no exchange rate charges.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #227
dmcd
Enthusiast
dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.dmcd turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kobo
Thanks for the info about the Kobo store charging in AUD. It would be interesting to know if they are applying current exchange rates or not. I have not bought from them because of the lack of a shopping cart. If you read my post, you will find I said that Kobo have to pay credit card fees for every individual transaction and not that I have to pay them. The vendor pays a credit card percentage fee - usually 1-2%. I would have thought that a big enough incentive for them to implement a shopping cart for multiple item purchases.

Until they get a shopping cart on their site, I'll buy my ebooks from other easier sources.

Dale
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #228
touring
Connoisseur
touring began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Quote:
Hardly Normal is now selling Kobo Touch (all colours) in Australia. Sticker price is AUD$149.95 but you can screw them down a bit
Dale
Gee they all are reaping in the profits!
I got mine from local JB for $126 on Christmas Eve
touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:02 AM   #229
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
I would have thought that a big enough incentive for them to implement a shopping cart for multiple item purchases.

Until they get a shopping cart on their site, I'll buy my ebooks from other easier sources.

Dale
I think one main reason they prefer to not have a cart is that they use discount coupons 20% 25% off as a way to encourage people to visit the site, not having a cart means the coupon will only ever apply to the one book and not a cartfull. I just realy wish they'd implement a proper wishlist function
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:43 AM   #230
Perplexed1
Perplexed1
Perplexed1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by katosan View Post
You can try JB HI-FI in Australia ,they were charging about $A138.00,
Also some Woolies are selling a Kindle for the same price.
katosan
I got a Kobo Touch from OfficeWorks during the past week for $128.00

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it - touch is not responsive in about 20% of tries, and sometimes a swipe backwards in the same book works to change to the next page and sometimes it doesn't. Very odd!!! I have a Sony PRS-650 which is much more responsive.
Perplexed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #231
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
... and don't know a thing about either of them or ereaders in general. None of the salemen, the manager or the techie knew a thing.
This is normal for Harvey Norman.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #232
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Before last software update page turns were fast but could have double page turns sometimes. With latest software need longer touch to turn page but not long enough to high light word or bring up options. I often now sometimes have to tap more than once to turn page. Flip a coin, older responsiveness was better for me. Now it's harder to speed read a book.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:09 AM   #233
stig
stig began at the beginning.

Does anyone know where I can find a white/blue one in stores? I was told today that the blue ones aren't in stores at all yet. I can buy it online, that's fine, but I want to make sure I like the colour first

Does anyone have one that they're willing to post pictures of? I just want to know exactly what the blue looks like! It's impossible to tell, as it looks different on every site I visit...
stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #234
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Thanks for the info about the Kobo store charging in AUD. It would be interesting to know if they are applying current exchange rates or not. I have not bought from them because of the lack of a shopping cart. If you read my post, you will find I said that Kobo have to pay credit card fees for every individual transaction and not that I have to pay them. The vendor pays a credit card percentage fee - usually 1-2%. I would have thought that a big enough incentive for them to implement a shopping cart for multiple item purchases.

Dale
Just buy gift cards then... 1 transaction for the card, and then multiple book purchases afterwards. They have pretty good prices on the books and with the discount codes that are always available, it's too bad you're not taking advantage of this!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:27 AM   #235
John2011
Enthusiast
John2011 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 1
For all you people who were asking where to get a KOBO in Oz awhile ago.

I have received an Australia Post flyer in my mail box to-day (28-2-2012) and they have the Kobo Touch of sale at $139.00.AU.

Peace,
John P
John2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:36 AM   #236
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hardly Normal is now selling Kobo Touch (all colours) in Australia. Sticker price is AUD$149.95 but you can screw them down a bit for a cash sale. Kobo needs to up their product education. Harvey Norman only seem to be stocking Kobo and iRiver readers and don't know a thing about either of them or ereaders in general. None of the salemen, the manager or the techie knew a thing. I asked about battery life. Looked all over the box and at the flimsy in the box. No info. So I sent the salesman off to look at the Kobo site and there was nothing they could quickly find on there either. One has to wonder if Kobo really want to sell these things?

My biggest bugbear is that they don't have a shopping cart on their book site. If I want to buy six books, I have to buy each one individually. They have to bear the cost of six individual credit card charges and I, the cost of six individual international exchange rate charges instead of just one. Then of course there is the aggravation of having to fill out six individual order forms and go to PayPal forms six times. It's unbelievable! Can you show me any other online vendor of any product at all, that doesn't have a shopping cart installed?

Dale
Hmm .. you know what I've never encountered the cart thing as I tend to buy ebooks one at a time. Interesting. Can see how it would be a tad annoying.

With regards the the HN rep not finding any details online regarding the product battery life, that speaks more to his/her poor search/internet skills. It's rather easy to find on their site: http://www.kobobooks.com/touch_tech. I also just checked my box and it had the more conservative battery charge up to 2 weeks spec right there on the side.

Last edited by molman; 02-29-2012 at 05:45 AM.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
australia, kobo touch