Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 12:07 AM   #61
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
what I don't get is..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, this is a duplicate thread to the one in News. Look at the mess we already have with the various nook threads. I was trying to halt the mess that might be Kobo.
As a 'say it loud say it proud' sony enthusiast why you would care if there is thread in the kobo forum about kobo's? I also frequent this forum and not the news forum so am glad that there is a thread here.

If the 'double post' thread is such a burden to you feel free to spend your time in the Sony fourm I doubt you will be missed in this one!
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:32 AM   #62
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
For some reason, the Nook Touch looks pretty ugly to me, whereas the Kobo Touch looks lovely. Plus, I'm not as impressed by the NT's claim of 2 months battery life as I was
I don't like the look of the new Nook either. The rounded corners look odd. It looks like it'd be a bit too wide to hold for someone with small hands. The Kobo Touch appeals to me because it looks easy to hold and it's lighter.

As for battery life Kindle has change their page saying the K3 now has 2 months battery life. I guess if B&N claims the new nook does Amazon figure they can too. I think Kobo is being actually truthful on battery life. My K3 with Wifi & 3G off normally last about 2 weeks with me reading 3 to 5 hours every other day. 3 weeks tops if I let it sit and use maybe one to twice a week for a few hours.

Two months? No way I wont believe that one.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 01:50 AM   #63
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
One thing I did like about the Nook Touch is the way they've reduced e-ink page flashes. I saw a video where they quickly paged through several pages and there was no flash or flicker at all. Very impressive as page flash is one thing I don't like about e-ink.

I think it's about time e-reader manufacturers had a standard way of measuring battery life. The number of page flips seems like a pretty good way in my opinion, rather than something like x weeks which is very dependant on how long you use the device each day and what you do (wi-fi access will eat up battery much faster than a page flip).
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:24 AM   #64
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
One thing I did like about the Nook Touch is the way they've reduced e-ink page flashes. I saw a video where they quickly paged through several pages and there was no flash or flicker at all. Very impressive as page flash is one thing I don't like about e-ink.
Any decent reader can do partial updates. My Pocketbook lets me configure how many pages to go before a full, "flashy" page inversion.

Quote:
I think it's about time e-reader manufacturers had a standard way of measuring battery life. The number of page flips seems like a pretty good way in my opinion ...
Yes, and that worked for a while until Marketing stepped in. "2 months battery life" (calculated at 30 minutes a day, no Wifi) sounds so much better than, I don't know, 5000 page flips.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:27 AM   #65
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Interesting little beast. Looks even better than my first edition
kobo. I'm aware that I simply ignore wifi and touch screen, but
would be keen to get one, if it doesn't glare.
I assume it is a bit early for manual. Would be fine to read it,
if available on line.
Best regards all.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #66
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
... I simply ignore wifi and touch screen, but
would be keen to get one, if it doesn't glare.
Unfortunately it doesn't have any buttons for page turn so you can't ignore the touch (I'm not a touch fan either). It does let you tap to change pages rather than swipe which is good. From the videos I'm willing to at least give it a shot on that front. I really like the pdf handling since it looks like it would work for what I want (reference material rather than reading). Glare shouldn't be worse than current Kobo's since it is using IR touch technology rather than overlay touch screen like the older Sony's.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #67
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Unfortunately it doesn't have any buttons for page turn so you can't ignore the touch (I'm not a touch fan either).
I have plastic stylus for my old nokia 770. Fingerprints could be a problem
on screens, so I avoid touching them.

Quote:
Glare shouldn't be worse than current Kobo's since it is using IR touch technology rather than overlay touch screen like the older Sony's.
I assume the contrast is much better, which is what matters to me.
The video is impressive. The whole design proves the best on the
market, at least to my eyes. I could live with changes, even ones I do
not like at this moment. What is wanted is side by side review. With
all details.
Best regards.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:27 PM   #68
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
I have plastic stylus for my old nokia 770. Fingerprints could be a problem
on screens, so I avoid touching them.
I have never really had any problems with the screen on my ipod touch or DS. I do use a screen protector on the touch. I usually use a stylus on the DS. The protector can last a very long time, if you can get it on correctly.

In a round about way, I don't think finger prints will be a problem. Just invest in some cheap screen protectors.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #69
mikegetz
Professional Nerd
mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook WiFI, KOBO, Pandigital Novel Personal
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdolphins View Post

In a round about way, I don't think finger prints will be a problem. Just invest in some cheap screen protectors.
the problem with the cheap screen protectors is that you lose most of the anti-glare properties of the screen when you apply them.
mikegetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #70
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
If it helps, there seem to be a lot less fingerprints with e-ink's matte-like screens -- I can only see fingerprints on my 350's screen in the light if I tilt it at an extreme angle, and never when reading normally. It's different than from my Android AMOLED smartphone and Nook Color LCD screen, where the fingerprints and finger streaks are clearly visible when the brightness is too low.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #71
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegetz View Post
the problem with the cheap screen protectors is that you lose most of the anti-glare properties of the screen when you apply them.

Is this for e-ink readers? Does it matter if the unit is touch? I never used a protector for my kobo since it wasn't a touch unit. I have not had problems reading on my touch with screen protectors.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #72
Dieman
Dieman began at the beginning.

Darn it, I've had my Kobo for less than two months and they do this to me I wonder if they'll do an upgrade price
Dieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:32 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When is the Kobo Touch supposed to hit stores in the USA? I'm interested in checking out if some of the ADE bugs in the previous models still exist or if they have been fixed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #74
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When is the Kobo Touch supposed to hit stores in the USA? I'm interested in checking out if some of the ADE bugs in the previous models still exist or if they have been fixed.
Borders says July 30th
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Borders says July 30th
Guess I'll have a bit of a wait to be able to check one out in person. Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote