Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 04:14 AM   #46
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
Oh ok thanks lol. I had a look and you can only use it if you have a VISA. I only have a Mastercard lol. Ah well.
Are you sure, it has mastercard and visa on the front page - and I made a mistake it is borderlinx not borderlynx.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:54 AM   #47
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Can you link me pls?
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 06:08 AM   #48
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
It's a freight forwarding business. You sign up and get an address in the US - which is basically a freight/courier depot. If US retailers won't deliver to a non US address you get it shipped to your borderlynx address. Borderlynx then send it onto you in NZ/Aus or wherever - they charge a little extra on the shipping, that's how they make their money. But it's a great way to source goods you either can't buy here or that are much cheaper - even when considering shipping - when bought direct.

And I am also using it to get around geo restrictions on ebooks, but that is another story.
Thanks for sharing this information. I knew companies like this existed but had never bothered trying to find one myself. After my last few online shopping expeditions I've just had enough of all the things we CAN'T buy here and when I finally find something that I can buy I'm expected to pay considerably MORE even though the $AUD is currently worth more than the $US!

And that's before I even START on ebooks and geo restrictions.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:36 AM   #49
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Wow, schweet design. That PDF scrolling is amazing, and no annoying glossy touch surface like the Sony units. Looks like Kobo's brought their A game to the show...
Yeah that pdf demo is brilliant. Could almost use it for reading A4 sized pages given how smooth it scrolls and no flashing. I also watched the official kobo promo vid and they gave added some cool stuff, mainly keeoing track of your reading stats (something I do with an iphone app).

Overall it looks good. Device like that makes them a serious competitor.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #50
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
Can you link me pls?
Here it is: https://www.borderlinx.com/m/
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #51
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
OMG!! it's beautiful!!
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #52
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
sincerest form of flattery...

The Nook Touch released today looks awfully like a Kobo. One reason I bought a Kobo was that I didn't want a zillion little plastic buttons all over the place (Kindle). Kobo human-factors minimalism seems to be catching on.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Are you saying that you reported a thread in the Kobo forum about the new Kobo as being a duplicate of the one in news, or vice versa? Really.....Really....
Yes, this is a duplicate thread to the one in News. Look at the mess we already have with the various nook threads. I was trying to halt the mess that might be Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #54
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Are you saying that you reported a thread in the Kobo forum about the new Kobo as being a duplicate of the one in news, or vice versa? Really.....Really....

I'm glad you said it!! I was thinking it but had to step away from the keyboard. sheesh
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #55
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, this is a duplicate thread to the one in News. Look at the mess we already have with the various nook threads. I was trying to halt the mess that might be Kobo.
I for one appreciate the fact that there is one (and only one) thread in the dedicated Kobo forum about new Kobo product. I don't read the rest of the forums here so I would have never seen it if it was only in the news forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopaholic:
I'm glad you said it!! I was thinking it but had to step away from the keyboard. sheesh
I had to physically drag myself away from the keyboard last night to not respond
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #56
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, considering THIS is the kobo forum, why don't you scoot on over there and tell them to delete THAT duplicate thread. This one was first anyway.

Go on.. go on.. you won't be missed, I promise.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Well, considering THIS is the kobo forum, why don't you scoot on over there and tell them to delete THAT duplicate thread. This one was first anyway.

Go on.. go on.. you won't be missed, I promise.
Time for you to go be walked and to do your business.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:03 PM   #58
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
The Nook Touch released today looks awfully like a Kobo.
For some reason, the Nook Touch looks pretty ugly to me, whereas the Kobo Touch looks lovely. Plus, I'm not as impressed by the NT's claim of 2 months battery life as I was earlier, if they're measuring that by 30 min of reading a day.

Also, I don't see what's wrong with having separate threads in News and the Kobo forum. In the Kobo forum at least, we have participants familiar with the older Kobo models, firmware, and the company's goals. Discussions in News and this forum will eventually diverge, I would assume.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #59
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
For some reason, the Nook Touch looks pretty ugly to me, whereas the Kobo Touch looks lovely. Plus, I'm not as impressed by the NT's claim of 2 months battery life as I was earlier, if they're measuring that by 30 min of reading a day.
I couldn't pin it down but I had the same reaction to the Nook. I think it was the big rounded corners or something. The 2 month's battery had me me LOL when I heard that. I did some math tonight and I'd say I'm an average to fast reader and on the smallest font size was getting about 1 page/min. Based on 30 min per day and assuming I'm slow so using 2 page/min over 60 days that's only 3600 page turns which is probably not far off the Wifi Kobo if you don't use the wifi at all and turn it completely off when not in use. Good marketing on their part I guess.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:41 PM   #60
Lawcheehung
Junior Kindler
Lawcheehung began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Kobo did an amazing job with the design of the Kobo Touch, love the fact they kept their quilted back!
Lawcheehung is offline   Reply With Quote