Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-15-2007, 03:27 PM   #46
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That's the part I find amusing.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:29 PM   #47
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I keep as much as possible in the RTF format (sometime DOC depending upon the source I receive it in.) Everything else I try to convert to RTF while I have the tools (and the time.)

I have started to use Book Designer for books loaded to the Sony Reader as it produces much smaller files. On one recent conversion the resulting LRF file was less than 10% of the size of the RTF and the LRF had cover art that you could see as well as a TOC. (I am still learning Book Designer and it runs almost on default settings so I expect it will get better as I learn more.)

We've found HAL; but, where is Dave?
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2007, 03:34 PM   #48
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you check the cargo bay? The outside, I mean.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:38 PM   #49
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You mean that Dave's been stuck outside for almost 40 years? His O2 must be running low by now.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #50
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Aww, crap! I did hear someone knock on the door a while back (has it been 40 years?). ***ummm, Dave?...Hellooooo?***
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2007, 05:28 PM   #51
NatCh
Gizmologist

Guess it ain't a "good morning, Dave" then.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:39 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey
That's why the named it HAL in the movie.
Mr Clarke has always claimed not, and that it's a pure coincidence.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:17 AM   #53
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Dave was deprived of a little oxygen. He's been renamed simpledave. Didn't he write somewhere else in here ?
HAL ! You finally found him! Now apologize and say you won't do it again...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:47 AM   #54
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:53 AM   #55
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:04 PM   #56
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

sorry, dave... This thread: "My God, it's full of off-topic posts!"
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:36 AM   #57
GBC
Enthusiast
GBC doesn't litterGBC doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 500, PRS 505, Kindle 3, Kindle Touch
What text editor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey
As another soon-to-be new owner (have to save the money up!) I have a question regarding the use of text files (such as from Project Gutenberg) and RTF files:

Which is better, given the same book, or are they both the same? The PG books all come with lots of extra hard-returns, but I have found a nifty utility which will strip all of them (as well as the PG material, should I choose), leaving a text file with only hard-returns between paragraphs, but with flowing text within paragraphs.

What can RTF offer for such files which the plain text files can't offer?

And does anybody have any opinion on the BlackMask DVD (through silkpagoda), where the Reader files are all in PDF format? Are they as easily read as the available RTF files or plain text files?

Thanks for any insights anybody can offer!
What utility do you use to strip off hard returns?
GBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:35 AM   #58
RWood
Technogeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBC
What utility do you use to strip off hard returns?
The best is Stingo's Word Macro for RFT. It and a lot of other conversion utilities are available at the MobileRead Wiki Conversion page. I have used it over 100 times and it is great.

BookDesigner does a good job although I tend to get the book in shape in word and then load the RTF in BookDesigner.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:15 PM   #59
GBC
Enthusiast
GBC doesn't litterGBC doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 500, PRS 505, Kindle 3, Kindle Touch
I was hoping for the name of the utility dhballey used. Word cost a little too much for me. It would solve a lot of problems if Sony would just have their software format RTF files correctly.
GBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:46 PM   #60
scottcstoness
Enthusiast
scottcstoness began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBC
I was hoping for the name of the utility dhballey used. Word cost a little too much for me. It would solve a lot of problems if Sony would just have their software format RTF files correctly.
Openoffice is free and has a built-in utiltiy that works pretty well for getting rid of hard returns. I think you select the whole text, put it in the default style, and then Select AutoCorrect, and it does fairly nice things based on the percentage of the line that is filled with text; and you can change the options in the AutoCorrect Menu.
scottcstoness is offline   Reply With Quote