Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-16-2021, 10:53 AM   #1
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Pocketbook Touch HD3 - Koreader?

So I just got a Pocketbook Touch HD3 a few days ago. Very happy with it so far. I've seen some posts online about Koreader being installed on Pocketbook readers. Is this worth doing or am I okay just sticking with the default system that Pocketbook comes with? What are the advantages of Koreader?
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:26 AM   #2
EastEriq
Groupie
EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook Orizon, PocketBook Touch HD
You could just install it and see what you like best, it is not exclusive of the stock reader.

IMHO Koreader is, with respect to the stock:

Pro:
  • much more customizable in terms of screen display and text rendering, including the possibility of working around bad book css definitions
  • remember settings per book, instead of globally
  • includes a lot of goodies such as inverted screen mode, customizable progress bar, OPDS downloader, and much more
  • handier for dictionary lookup (but doesn't support the .dic files which the stock uses)
  • handles odt files (besides of course epub, pdf, ...)
  • handles correctly bidirectional mixed text
  • well maintained and frequently upgraded

Contra:
  • can't read DRMd files [no bought books, no overdrive etc. unless you de-DRM them]
  • lacks some OS integrations: reading progress unknown to the main librarian, screen blanked on sleep
  • somewhat slower than the stock

There is also coolreader, which is somewhere in-between: customizable but not as much as koreader, supports .dic, does NOT support LTR, no longer maintained for pb.
EastEriq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:00 PM   #3
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I use KOReader on all my Pocketbook devices, a Touch HD3 included. If you read books without DRM, you should definitely try it out. It takes a while to familiarize oneself with all the settings, but once that is done, you can really enjoy it.

I love the gestures, the nightmode, the status bar, dictionary lookup (you can find lots of dictionaries here on Mobileread) and lots more.
It actually is much faster than the stock reader, since the developers tweaked a few things last year. With KOReader my Pocketbooks are close to perfect.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:12 PM   #4
mikkelnl
mikkelnl began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3
I love koreader on my HD3, it is somewhat hard to go through all its settings, but it's so worth it: statusbar, nightmode, increase font contrast... awesome features.
mikkelnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:06 PM   #5
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
Like LucyOne, I think that PocketBook HD3 + koreader is close to the perfection.

My only gripes:
- Lack of reading progress in the library
- Crashes are quite frequents (not when reading but often when going out of sleep or switching between books)
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:44 AM   #6
BladeBrown
BladeBrown began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Deep sleep

Hello,
I have a question about deep sleep PocketBook HD3 and KoReader. When PocketBook wakeup from deep sleep, I must go to app menu and manualy start the KoReader.
On normaly sleep is everything ok.
Is any tip how to solve it?
BladeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 03:51 PM   #7
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeBrown View Post
Hello,
I have a question about deep sleep PocketBook HD3 and KoReader. When PocketBook wakeup from deep sleep, I must go to app menu and manualy start the KoReader.
On normaly sleep is everything ok.
Is any tip how to solve it?
There is no deep sleep in Pocketbook, the device is turned off. You can set it to start with the last opened book in the "Personalize" settings. This makes KoReader start automatically on my devices.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote