Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-06-2021, 09:01 PM   #16
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
One little tidbit I think is interesting, since I tend to notice things like this lol, is that this might be the most contemporarily written group of nominations we've ever had outside of a Contemporary month, with seven out of the eight from the 21st century, and yet despite that every one is from a different year.
Interesting observation! I'm surprised that they are all contemporary. It's a fun list of nominations.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:37 PM   #17
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
They all look about equally good to me (no surprise there!). I'm not sure how to decide what to vote for but I've already read three of the previews so I'll go ahead and give those votes and wait til a little later to decide on the remainder of my votes after I look at the rest of them.

-1 to The Winemaker
-1 to The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane
-1 to Five Quarters of the Orange
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:52 PM   #18
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here are my vote so far:

Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris - 1

The Tea Planter's Wife by Dinah Jeffries - 1

The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See - 1

The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver - 1

The Winemaker by Noah Gordon - 1
Old 03-10-2021, 03:41 AM   #19
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've previewed the rest and like them all, so I'll spread the love per u.:

-The Tea Planter's Wife
-The Bean Trees
-The Hundred-Foot Journey
-The Plum Tree
Old 03-10-2021, 01:14 PM   #20
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Initial voting is complete and we've got five still in it! We have a tie between:

-Five Quarters of the Orange
-The Tea Planter's Wife
-The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane
-The Bean Trees
-The Winemaker

Run-off voting is now open!

Voting will close exactly TWO DAYS from this post.

Each person has FOUR votes to use.

If the run-off ends in a tie, the selection that received all its votes first will win.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:15 PM   #21
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Really, I'll be happy with any of these. I have no strong opinion on which should win. I can't vote for all so I've eliminated one (that I would've also been equally happy to read!), and otherwise I'll spread my votes out again, with them simply listed in reverse nomination order:

-1 to The Winemaker
-1 to The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane
-1 to The Tea Planter's Wife
-1 to Five Quarters of the Orange
Old 03-12-2021, 03:17 AM   #22
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

About ten hours left for run off voting!
Old 03-12-2021, 09:35 AM   #23
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

My votes are:

Five Quarters of the Orange - 2
The Winemaker - 1
Old 03-12-2021, 02:05 PM   #24
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Voting is complete and our winner is Five Quarters of the Orange!

I'm really looking forward to it. The discussion thread will be up soon.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:28 PM   #25
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Voting is complete and our winner is Five Quarters of the Orange!

I'm really looking forward to it. The discussion thread will be up soon.
I’m really excited about this book.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:30 PM   #26
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
My first nomination is The Wonder by Emma Donoghue, and it falls towards the latter half of the topic. The description for this historical fiction mystery really drew me in.
The only reason that I did not vote for this book was because I’ve already read it. I highly recommend it. The history was so interesting that I read a nonfiction book afterwards to learn more.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:12 PM   #27
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
The only reason that I did not vote for this book was because I’ve already read it. I highly recommend it. The history was so interesting that I read a nonfiction book afterwards to learn more.
Ah that's great. It's definitely going on my tbr list then.