Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-27-2021, 05:12 PM   #1
cm1
Enthusiast
cm1 doesn't littercm1 doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook
PocketBook Touch HD 3: Error communicating with device

When attempting to send .epub's to my PB via Calibre, I'm getting the error message:

Quote:
calibre, version 5.10.1
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/media/myuserid/PB632/Books/Last, First'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/gui2/device.py", line 89, in run
File "calibre/gui2/device.py", line 592, in _upload_books
File "calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 322, in upload_books
File "calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 995, in create_upload_path
File "os.py", line 223, in makedirs
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/media/myuserid/PB632/Books/Last, First'
Is it possibly because Calibre is attempting to send my .epub to the "Books/Last, First" directory instead of the "books/Last, First" directory?

When I use my file manage to manually inspect the folder on my device, I notice that the folder is lowercase "books", not "Books" as Calibre is attempting to send the book to. I've already tried rebooting and deleting the driveinfo.calibre and metadata.calibre files, and downgrading Calibre to 5.9.0 didn't change the error. I'm using Linux, if that makes a difference, so there might be some case sensitivity issues involved?

I didn't have any problems with Calibre and my PB when it was running firmware 5.19; Calibre started giving me those error messages after I upgraded to PB firmware 6.1.

Last edited by cm1; 01-27-2021 at 05:24 PM.
cm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:36 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Why is this filesystem being mounted case-sensitively? In any case simply rename the folder to Books instead of books and you should be fine. Or configure the driver in calibre by right clicking the device icon and change the folder name there.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:10 PM   #3
cm1
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Why is this filesystem being mounted case-sensitively? In any case simply rename the folder to Books instead of books and you should be fine.
Thanks for your quick response, kovidgoyal! I was guessing there might be a case sensitivity issue, because I'm running Calibre on Linux ...

When I attempt to rename "books" to "Books", I get:

/media/myuserid/PB632$ mv books Books
mv: replace 'Books', overriding mode 0000 (---------)?

Quote:
Or configure the driver in calibre by right clicking the device icon and change the folder name there.
I'm not sure where the folder name "book" can be changed to "Book" in Calibre, when I right-click "Device" in the toolbar and select "Configure this device", I get the following window ...

Old 01-27-2021, 10:14 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you cant rename the folder, there are filesystem issues on the device. Try resetting it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:12 PM   #5
cm1
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you cant rename the folder, there are filesystem issues on the device. Try resetting it.
Thank you, that solved the issue!