Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-28-2018, 03:30 PM   #1
Zwi
Zwi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite (2018)
Exclamation Keep file name order the same after converting

Please assist. I am new to Calibre and need some help. It might be something silly and easy, but after spending 9 hours on this alone, I am super frustrated and need an expert to explain to me how its done in noob language.

I want to convert my ebooks which is mostly epub to mobi, but my preferred display after I save it to my desktop is I want it converted and saved as Author - Title. Unfortunately, after I convert it saves the converted file to Title - Author.

I want it displayed as:
Jane Doe - How to stay calm.mobi
(author) - (title)

I don't want it like this
How to stay calm - John Doe.mobi

Your help and guidance will be much appreciated
Zwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:22 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Preferences -> Saving books to disk

Click on Template Editor

Paste {authors} - {title} to the empty field

Click OK

Click Apply
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:31 PM   #3
Zwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Preferences -> Saving books to disk

Click on Template Editor

Paste {authors} - {title} to the empty field

Click OK

Click Apply

Thanks for your reply, Unfortunately it still converts to title - author. I have reset my Calibre to default (similar to reset to factory settings, lol) and made sure all previous settings I've tried has been cleared and deleted with your advise...but to no avail
Old 12-28-2018, 04:39 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Please note, you can't change how Calibre names the files inside the Calibre library folder. You can only change the filenames for export (e.g. Save to disk, Send to device).

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...tory-structure
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:40 PM   #5
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwi View Post
Please assist. I am new to Calibre and need some help. It might be something silly and easy, but after spending 9 hours on this alone, I am super frustrated and need an expert to explain to me how its done in noob language.

I want to convert my ebooks which is mostly epub to mobi, but my preferred display after I save it to my desktop is I want it converted and saved as Author - Title. Unfortunately, after I convert it saves the converted file to Title - Author.

I want it displayed as:
Jane Doe - How to stay calm.mobi
(author) - (title)

I don't want it like this
How to stay calm - John Doe.mobi

Your help and guidance will be much appreciated
A little more information would be helpful, e.g. how and where are you looking at the file name.

bernie

P.S.

Read this sticky

Want to change folder structure or file names in the Calibre library?
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:41 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwi View Post
Thanks for your reply, Unfortunately it still converts to title - author. I have reset my Calibre to default (similar to reset to factory settings, lol) and made sure all previous settings I've tried has been cleared and deleted with your advise...but to no avail
If you are dragging the book from Book List to desktop then you'll get what's in the book folder. To save with the Save to Disk template you need to use one of the Save to Disk options.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:27 AM   #7
Zwi

The only way I have found so far...

* Choose .epub file on my hdd I want to convert to .mobi
* Click: Add Books
* Click: Edit Metadata in bulk
* Click: Swap title and author
* Click Apply
* Click OK
* Click: Convert Books
* Newly Converted .mobi file is saved to my hdd and displayed as title - author

(My converted .mobi book is now author - title. Without clicking on swap title and author, If I just add book, edit metadata and convert, the converted book I get is title - author
Old 12-29-2018, 12:36 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Zwi - if you are referring of the name of the MOBI file that is written in the library/author/book folder by the conversion process then you cannot change that, its fixed

Posts 4 and 5 include links to the relevant User manual section and a sticky MR thread.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author-title, convert, rename