Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-22-2017, 10:32 PM   #241
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Now it's time to update your mini yet again.
Haha! I heard about that. It'll have to wait until I can pry it out of my daughter's hands.

I wanted to add that Overdrive is missing from the Mini when I updated to this release. There's no setting option for it. I still need ADE to gets Overdrive books onto it.

How long does a KA1 take to get a new software update? I can manually do it again, but I was wondering how Kobo determines who gets the software update. As far as I can remember, my Mini has never updated over the air. Even months after a release, I've had to manually update it.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:22 PM   #242
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Haha! I heard about that. It'll have to wait until I can pry it out of my daughter's hands.
I think that's a good problem to have. And for her use, I doubt the update is needed.
Quote:
I wanted to add that Overdrive is missing from the Mini when I updated to this release. There's no setting option for it. I still need ADE to gets Overdrive books onto it.
OverDrive is only on the Aura ONE. Kobo haven't said that they would extend this feature to the other devices. But, if you borrow on the Aura ONE, or using the OverDrive account linked to Kobo account on the Aura ONE, the library book should download to any other Kobo device or app on the same account and the appropriate firmware version (4.1.xxxx or later I think).

That means that if your daughter's Mini uses your account, then anything you borrow will appear on the Mini. It's also possible to login another account on the Aura ONE, setup OD, and then log out (but I'd borrow a book and download it first). That should connect the OD account to the Kobo account and anything borrowed using the OD app or a library should be downloaded to the other device. I haven't done this, but I'm sure it has been reported as working here.
Quote:
How long does a KA1 take to get a new software update? I can manually do it again, but I was wondering how Kobo determines who gets the software update. As far as I can remember, my Mini has never updated over the air. Even months after a release, I've had to manually update it.
It depends. Kobo's normal firmware roll-out is about a month long. The do it based on the affiliate and geo-location. They start with a small "local" affiliate, and then expand. The last time I waited, it reached after three weeks. They have done some faster roll-outs recently aiming to get it to everyone in a week, but I think they have returned to the longer timing. You can sideload, or change the affiliate to have it happen sooner.

Whether it is worth updating to 4.4.9349 depends on what you are reading. The purpose of 4.4.9344 and 4.4.9349 was to fix a problem with external SD cards (not a problem for the Mini or Aura ONE) and fix a problem when finishing a purchased kepub. The latter might be of interest to you as I think it affected OD books as well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #243
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! David! I wasn't aware that OD is only on the Kobo Aura One. I have to admit I was a bit confused because the books I borrowed had shown up on the Mini (and on my iPad), but only the KA1 had overt references to OD.

As for the firmware roll outs, I probably won't wait. I will probably sideload, but what do you mean by "change the affiliate"?
Old 05-23-2017, 02:13 PM   #244
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
but what do you mean by "change the affiliate"?
In the .kobo folder is a file called affiliate.conf which lists an affiliate usually associated with where the device was purchased. For example mine says KoboDirect usually
(specifically [General] affiliate=KoboDirect), but I edited it with Notepad to say bestbuyca so that I'd get the 4.4.x firmware on sync a couple of versions back, because it was being pushed to devices with that affiliate (among others).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:17 PM   #245
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
In the .kobo folder is a file called affiliate.conf which lists an affiliate usually associated with where the device was purchased. For example mine says KoboDirect usually
(specifically [General] affiliate=KoboDirect), but I edited it with Notepad to say bestbuyca so that I'd get the 4.4.x firmware on sync a couple of versions back, because it was being pushed to devices with that affiliate (among others).
Thanks. I'll have to try that next time. I just started sideloading a moment ago. I'm very new to hacking and tweaking my Kobos.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #246
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

I applied 4.4.9298 to my Mini after I already downloaded it for my KA1, but I just noticed on https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Firmware_Releases that the Mini is specifically excluded in their notes for the last bunch of releases. Since I'm not having problems with my Mini, I'm wondering what bullet I dodged, or if it still has my Kobo's name on it.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:31 AM   #247
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I applied 4.4.9298 to my Mini after I already downloaded it for my KA1, but I just noticed on https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Firmware_Releases that the Mini is specifically excluded in their notes for the last bunch of releases. Since I'm not having problems with my Mini, I'm wondering what bullet I dodged, or if it still has my Kobo's name on it.
Firstly, that Wiki page is maintained my people here. Kobo have no involvement with and the details are just from what people have seen delivered to their devices.

For the Mini, Kobo discontinued it a long time ago. And they have since stopped releasing firmware updates for it. This seemed to be 3.4.1, but they have released 3.19.5761 in Japan. That means that using 3.19.5761 on the Mini is safe. Others are trying the the newer firmware and so far it is working. So far, Kobo hasn't done anything to prevent these newer firmware from running on the Mini, but I they are probably not doing much testing. I think this will be the status for the near future. The newer firmware will continue to work on the Mini, but I'd be very surprised if any were releases include the Mini as a target.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote