Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #211
G0AT
Addict
G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarie View Post
On charger:
"Output: 5V DC, 500mA Max"
On bottom edge of Touch in teeny tiny script:
"5V DC [straight line over broken line] 0.8A"
Does this mean it's good to go?
Thanks!
Would it work? Probably, but there is a risk of overheating the charger, which could be catastrophic if it doesn't have proper safeties built-in.

I agree with the above. Pick up a 1000mA (1A) USB power adapter. I've seen them for less than $5.
G0AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #212
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
edit - I apologize, I am totally wrong in what I stated. sorry 'bout that. - edit

Still not wrong about this last part though - can we stop referring to these things as Chargers; they are power adapters, ie - They provide power to a device. The device itself is what regulates the charging of the batteries

Last edited by Psyke; 07-08-2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: being a dumb*ss
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #213
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
500mA = 0.5A
0.5A /= 0.8A
I found 1000mA charger in a seconds. Would be cheap too.
I just use my Nook Color's AC adapter as it's 5V/1A. Use it for just about everything now, Touch, phone, A43, etc.

...er you're wrong about the current rating BTW. Most adapters won't have overcurrent regulation circuitry because they're cheap. The Touch will try to draw 800mA and most adapter WILL TRY to supply it, but voltage will fall off. This is NOT a "good" thing.

Best practice is to at least match current/voltage rating and/or exceed current rating as the device will only draw the maximum current that it can and the supply will only give it that. It's just when you're exceeding the max current rating of the supply that bad(TM) things will happen.

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 07-08-2011 at 02:14 PM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #214
G0AT
Addict
G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
...er you're wrong about the current rating BTW. Most adapters won't have overcurrent regulation circuitry because they're cheap. The Touch will try to draw 800mA and most adapter WILL TRY to supply it, but voltage will fall off. This is NOT a "good" thing.

Best practice is to at least match current/voltage rating and/or exceed current rating as the device will only draw the maximum current that it can and the supply will only give it that. It's just when you're exceeding the max current rating of the supply that bad(TM) things will happen.
Exactly my thinking.
G0AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #215
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
So, the power adapter needs to be:

.8A or HIGHER, correct? Thanks!
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:07 AM   #216
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarie View Post
So, the power adapter needs to be:

.8A or HIGHER, correct?
Yes. Correct.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote