Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
SmartyPants
Zealot
SmartyPants began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Other cases for Pocket Pro?

Hi all,
well i finally received my lovely maroon PP!
Very, very happy so far. All is working well... (well apart from a small issue with Cyrillic characters... but i will probably be posting on Calibre forum with that).

My only question, as much as i like the included case (except for the colour ) it is probably more than i will ever need for protection.
Wondering if it possible to get some kind of pouch.. or other similar lightweight case. Is the PP size comparable to that of the Sony pocket reader? I am sure there are plenty of Sony cases on the market.
many thanks!
SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Congrats on the arrival of your PP. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix compares most of the ereaders on the market, and looking at that there is a small difference in size.

I'll be interested to know which pouch you decide upon, I am looking myself.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 12:34 AM   #3
SmartyPants
Zealot
SmartyPants began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Thanks for that link Solicitous, yep it looks like Sony Pocket Reader is fairly close to PP dimensions wise...
Have been searching around for a simple pouch-like case, no luck so far... not prepared to pay quarter of the price of the reader itself for a cover.
Tempted to make one myself. The reader seems to be strong enough to survive with just a fabric pouch... considering i am not planning to be rough with it - not throwing it in the backpacks and such, or sitting reading in the pouring rain lol..

so what is everyone using? Apart from an included case of course?
SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Use a Crown Royal Bag
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
I'm using the original one it came with. It is sturdy, feels good, and it protects the screen. When I have to pack it, I found a kitchen container that it fits in well that if FIRM to protect it from the tight packing.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
I use the Stylz case

Dear All:

I use the Stylz case as it is real leather (luxurious leather), comes in colors, holds SD cards and business cards, and has a special pad flap that protects the screen even better. It is what is known as a bi-fold (two fold) case!

On another thread, yesterday, someone wrote and said they bought it and were just delighted with it. You can find it at: www.stylzworld.com

It costs $24.99 and it says right on there it is custom made for the Astak Pocket PRO!! That is why I spent my own money and bought it. I have had mine about 2.5 months and it is still like new: soft, luxurious real Italian leather, and fits perfectly. It uses the exact same clips as the stock case (comes with new clips pre-installed). Mine made it thru CES and was opened and closed a good thousand times or so.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Duckey works for Crown Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Use a Crown Royal Bag
Dear All:

The Ducks is one of the most trusted expert opinions on this Astak Dedicated Thread. However, he must work for Crown Royal or something.

Please feel free to post angry suggestions toward Duckey for this particular tip!!
Old 02-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #8
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
I use a CaseLogic zipper case designed for the Sony 300. I can't use the rocker switch when it's in the case, but the reader is easy to remove and fits perfectly. I needed something that would protect it from all the sharp bits when I travel and this case does that very well.

If you decide to go with a case designed for a different reader, pay special attention to how the case holds the reader and what might be covered by the case. If it's designed to attach top and bottom to a Sony, it won't work on a PEz.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

The Ducks is one of the most trusted expert opinions on this Astak Dedicated Thread. However, he must work for Crown Royal or something.

Please feel free to post angry suggestions toward Duckey for this particular tip!!
Hey
Griffie would probably agree with me.

Get some Crown Royal (It's just for the bag, Dear!)

Use up the Crown Royal. Can't have a nek-kid C.R. bottle exposing its contents to light

Carefully stow you PEz in the bag (If you can still move).

Think of all you PEz owning friends that you could gift with a empty C.R. bag.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
kdf9511
Madman With A Box
kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Nook Glowlight, Nook Color, Kindle 4, Astak Pocket Pro
I am waiting for my new PP to arrive and I have been looking at diffrent cases for it. What I would like to find is a flip case like I had for my Jornada. Something like this.

It would allow it to easly be proped up just by folding the case over. and still allow for full access to all the buttons. I may have to just dig out some leather and have at it myself.
kdf9511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
Robertb

Wink Griffey would pour chocolate sauce in the bag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Hey
Griffie would probably agree with me.

Get some Crown Royal (It's just for the bag, Dear!)

Use up the Crown Royal. Can't have a nek-kid C.R. bottle exposing its contents to light

Carefully stow you PEz in the bag (If you can still move).

Think of all you PEz owning friends that you could gift with a empty C.R. bag.
Dear Duckey:

You may have come too late to catch Griffey's famous Chocolate Sauce. He puts it on everything. One of these threads has his recipe!

You and Griffey are two of the most expert people on this forum... but you both have this wet sense of humor! Griffey thinks he is a pirate and blows up outhouses. You recommend the Crown Royal bag for the Pocket PRO.

Griffey would definitely join you on the Crown Royal but add chocolate sauce!
Old 02-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #12
Robertb

Propped up case

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf9511 View Post
I am waiting for my new PP to arrive and I have been looking at diffrent cases for it. What I would like to find is a flip case like I had for my Jornada. Something like this.

It would allow it to easly be proped up just by folding the case over. and still allow for full access to all the buttons. I may have to just dig out some leather and have at it myself.
Dear kdf:

IF you take the Stylz case (www.stylzworld.com), open it, and display horizontally (some call this landscape mode) you can fold the strap back and tuck it into the flap and it will very firmly prop it as you want ("A" shape in effect).

I just tried it and it works perfectly. You can also use this procedure when in vertical mode and it remains firmly propped! The strap is a very thick and heavy leather like on a man's belt. It is rigid enough to take this without problem!!

Hope this helps!!
Old 02-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #13
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Thanx for the tips Robertb. I just ordered the stylzworld case to go along with my incoming PP. I imagine the tongue works just like my M-edge case for my 505. Yes, you can flip it behind the case and the tongue flips firmly into the slit, thus you can read it easily with one hand in landscape or portrait mode. It is worth having the xtra protection for the screen.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #14
kdf9511
Madman With A Box
kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Nook Glowlight, Nook Color, Kindle 4, Astak Pocket Pro
I will probably order the stylzworld case for mine depending on how I like the stock case. The one disadvantage I see with all the 'book' type cases like these though is that they do not protect the top and all 4 sides when closed. With the flip case like pictured where the unit slips into a leather pocket when closed the entire unit is protected with the exception of a small cutout that would be open to access the scroll wheel. I live in Western Oklahoma where at times it is extreamly windy and dusty and I would like to have something that would cover the top and protect the USB jack and the SD port from dust/dirt. Especialy since one thing I am looking forward to being able to do with this is take it camping with me when I am out on my motorcycle.
kdf9511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf9511 View Post
I will probably order the stylzworld case for mine depending on how I like the stock case. The one disadvantage I see with all the 'book' type cases like these though is that they do not protect the top and all 4 sides when closed. With the flip case like pictured where the unit slips into a leather pocket when closed the entire unit is protected with the exception of a small cutout that would be open to access the scroll wheel. I live in Western Oklahoma where at times it is extreamly windy and dusty and I would like to have something that would cover the top and protect the USB jack and the SD port from dust/dirt. Especialy since one thing I am looking forward to being able to do with this is take it camping with me when I am out on my motorcycle.
In a way, the stock PEz case protects well, even if the edges appear exposed.
Only if you managed to drop it edge-on to a thin, hard object, would the edges be at risk of serious damage. That is because the PEz is recessed from the edge
I don't count chohlate sauce fingerprints and light scratches.
My PEz is my reading tool.
I have an author friend that carries a small tin of grease mixed with carbon black to autograph his sword making books.
"Shop books are to be used in the SHOP"