Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #16
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolson View Post
How can firmware flash be done on a MAC ?
Don't know. Probably not.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #17
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zozoka View Post
Can you explain please, how to put your hack on a PRS 900 ?
1) Unpack the archive somewhere on the PC
2) Connect Reader via USB.
3) If EBL runs, kill it. Kill eBook Library Launcher.exe as well.
4) Run flash_reader.bat
5) Enter the drive letter of the Reader's main storage area and hit <Enter>
6) Wait for Reader to reboot (after the script is done, you can disconnect USB cable).
Done!

Last edited by porkupan; 02-04-2010 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Added link to fw archive
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #18
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
1) Unpack the [...]
Done!
Hi Porkupan,

I assume that this should work the same on a PRS600. Can you confirm, please?
Thanks,

Laurentiu
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #19
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentiu View Post
Hi Porkupan,

I assume that this should work the same on a PRS600. Can you confirm, please?
Thanks,

Laurentiu
More or less. But there you need to reset the reader manually after completing the script and unplugging the reader from the USB.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:42 PM   #20
Laurentiu
Connoisseur

Quote:
More or less. But there you need to reset the reader manually after completing the script and unplugging the reader from the USB.
OK, now I'm confused... I assume there is a similar reflash package for the 600 somewhere. Could you point me in the right direction and also, give me similar step-by-step instructions on how to do it properly?

The thing is that I can read Romanian on my reader by embedding fonts, but I dislike the epub format for the single reason that the output is left-justified. I like the lrf books and the way they look on my reader.

Thanks again for your help.
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #21
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Could you point me in the right direction and also, give me similar step-by-step instructions on how to do it properly?
1) Unpack the archive somewhere on the PC
2) Connect Reader via USB.
3) If EBL runs, kill it. Kill eBook Library Launcher.exe as well.
4) Run flash_reader.bat
5) Enter the drive letter of the Reader's main storage area and hit <Enter>
6) After the script is done, you can disconnect USB cable.
7) Push RESET pin, then turn on the Reader.
8) Wait for Reader to reboot.
Done!
Old 02-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #22
Laurentiu
Connoisseur

Quote:
1) Unpack [...]
Done!
Thanks, Porkupan!
Old 02-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #23
lukasfikr
Enthusiast
lukasfikr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle 3, Apple iPad/iPhone 4
2 porkupan - Do we need russify eReader Library too?
lukasfikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #24
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfikr View Post
2 porkupan - Do we need russify eReader Library too?
It is recommended to copy BeardMan's fonts into the eBook Library's fonts directory, yes.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:25 AM   #25
goaspy
Connoisseur
goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle 3
Quote:

The thing is that I can read Romanian on my reader by embedding fonts, but I dislike the epub format for the single reason that the output is left-justified. I like the lrf books and the way they look on my reader.
Same here, lrf looks better, but some Romanian characters are missing entirely, not even replaced with a different character.
Is the hack working for your 600? Or maybe you know a way to embed Romanian into a lrf file.

Thanks.
goaspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #26
Voveriux
Voveriux began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Hi, everyone.
I tried Porkupan's reader's flash because some lithuanian letters were shown as question marks in lithuanian epub files. It worked! Now reader shows all letters.
However, after the flash none of the dictionaries work. When I go to the settings and choose either american or english dictionary reader simply reboots. Were they erased during the flash?
If so, how can I reinstall them?
Voveriux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #27
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Does this require the Sony Library software? My operating system doesn't support Sony Library, but it lets me use my reader through Calibre and the default epub font is too aliased.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:00 AM   #28
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
No, Sony Library is not required.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:06 AM   #29
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
No, Sony Library is not required.
Okay. Might I get instructions, step by step, maybe, for doing this without Sony Library? I really don't want to mess up my reader. I can fix a computer, but I don't know anything about my reader, unfortunately.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:09 AM   #30
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Step by step instructions are written in the documentation.

If you don't want to mess up your reader, don't use any hacks on PRS-600. "Safe" devices are PRS-505 and PRS-500, to a much lesser extent PRS-300. PRS-600, PRS-700 and PRS-900 can be completely bricked by a failed flashing process.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote