Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-28-2009, 11:16 PM   #16
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Yeah, I got the book. (gmail)

Great, topical looking title, too.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:18 PM   #17
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
OK. Has anyone actually received a link to get the book? I chose to pay zero, so I could see if (a) I wanted to read the book (and the author was reasonably literate and (b) if I could convert the epub for the Kindle. i tried two different email addresses (both mailinator based, as I don't need more spam) and have yet to receive a link.

Any others?
I got my link within seconds (on a gmail account).
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2009, 12:35 AM   #18
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
OK. Has anyone actually received a link to get the book? I chose to pay zero, so I could see if (a) I wanted to read the book (and the author was reasonably literate and (b) if I could convert the epub for the Kindle. i tried two different email addresses (both mailinator based, as I don't need more spam) and have yet to receive a link.

Any others?
Hmm. I did get a link, but I paid for it (after reading the PDF preview).
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:39 AM   #19
kyliedork
Connoisseur
kyliedork doesn't litterkyliedork doesn't litter

Device: kindle
yes, i hope this idea catchs on
kyliedork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:03 AM   #20
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did try converting the epub one - did nothing in Mobipocket Desktop Reader - even installed Calibre and it did do it, took about 10 minutes or so.

Last edited by Blue Tyson; 04-29-2009 at 03:16 AM.
Advert
Old 04-29-2009, 04:40 AM   #21
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
I did try converting the epub one - did nothing in Mobipocket Desktop Reader - even installed Calibre and it did do it, took about 10 minutes or so.
I tried converting the book to Sony LRF from epub in Calibre, but with limited success - every paragraph began with a hanging indent! If anyone knows how to fix that, let me know.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:55 AM   #22
garygibsonsf
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I've just had a look at the .epub I downloaded and it's fine, working TOC, readable text, front cover in place. Well put together overall (no right justification, but that's not a big thing for me).

What exactly is wrong with your copy?
I find the lack of right justification really annoying; admittedly that's a matter of taste, plus the margins (as it displays on my Sony Reader) are very close to the edge of the screen. The default text size is tiny, but setting the text size to medium makes it look even worse. Put it this way; it makes me feel like I've bought an expensive device that can now accurately simulate the appearance of barely-formatted text output on an Eighties-period laser printer. Epub's just not a winner for me. I've tried converting it to lrf, but get huge hanging indents on most paragraphs.

The point of an ereader device for me is to accurately simulate the appearance of a professionally designed printed page, and that's what I can't get with epub.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:27 AM   #23
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Thanks, Switched to a gmail account and got the link.

They are apparently blocking all the mailinator.com addresses (although everything seems to go thru, you get nothing in email).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #24
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I just downloaded this book in ePub format. They have the link
"I read the book for free and now I want to pay." so if will like this book I will pay for it.
It will be good to have more books like this one available. If 1,000,000 people will download it for free and just 10% will pay for it - they will sell 100,000 eBooks that is really not bad.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #25
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I think the model doesn't work as well for books, because with music you know pretty quickly if you are willing to pay for it, and the bands have large recognition.

Because books take so long to digest it might be trickier. Hopefully it works for the author!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:04 PM   #26
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I just downloaded this book in ePub format. They have the link
"I read the book for free and now I want to pay." so if will like this book I will pay for it.
It will be good to have more books like this one available. If 1,000,000 people will download it for free and just 10% will pay for it - they will sell 100,000 eBooks that is really not bad.
Yes, seems to be planned out pretty well. I've read bits and pieces, looks pretty good, so the 'pay later' option is useful.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:51 AM   #27
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I got a couple other books this way. I don't remember what site it was from, could very well have been this same site. I have yet to read them, but it doesn't matter because I opted to pay ZERO!!
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote