Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2023, 04:52 PM   #1
LR44
LR44 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T3
Using a PRS-T3 in 2023

Hello everyone,

I got my hands on a Sony PRS-T3 Reader and I'm really liking it so far. It's my first eReader as I have mainly used the Apple Books app on my phone prior to this. However, I'm puzzled by a few things and was hoping to get answers here, because I can't actually find much on the web about this thing.
  • The device is 10 years old so obiously it has limited funcionality now. The browser doesn't work, the book stores don't work either. I was wondering if there's some custom firmware or something that could give it some of that functionality back? It's not a big deal, but would be nice nonetheless
  • Is there a way to load fonts on it?
  • I used Calibre to put some DRM-free EPUB and PDF files on it, and for the most part they work fine. On some books however, the reader displays the text with big margins on the sides (see second photo). Viewed on Calibres book viewer and Apple Books, everything looks normal. I tried every size/font setting on the Sony but nothing worked. Is there something I could do to the book in Calibre that would make it more "compatible" with the T3?

Sorry for all of these questions, maybe someone here is still rocking one of these and would be ready to help?
LR44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 05:13 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Your first bullet point is best served with a Kobo Libra 2 and not a Sony Reader of any kind.

As for the eBook and it's stupid margins, here is a version of Carmilla I formatted and posted here that does not have stupid margins.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=193263
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2023, 05:39 PM   #3
LR44

Thanks for that JSWolf, of course after I asked the question I found out how to solve the margins problem myself:

On the "Convert books" screen in Calibre I clicked on "Page setup". There's a number of output profiles to choose from, even one for the Sony T3.

Looks good now
Old 10-19-2023, 05:58 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR44 View Post
Thanks for that JSWolf, of course after I asked the question I found out how to solve the margins problem myself:

On the "Convert books" screen in Calibre I clicked on "Page setup". There's a number of output profiles to choose from, even one for the Sony T3.

Looks good now
Don't use any output profile except Tablet. Otherwise, the graphics will be converted and not in a good way. Tablet will keep the images from being modified.

Also, the version of the eBook I linked is much better formatted then the one you have on your T3. So I suggest you read the one I linked.
Old 10-19-2023, 06:19 PM   #5
LR44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Don't use any output profile except Tablet. Otherwise, the graphics will be converted and not in a good way. Tablet will keep the images from being modified.

Also, the version of the eBook I linked is much better formatted then the one you have on your T3. So I suggest you read the one I linked.
Downloaded it and you're right, it looks really nice. Thanks!
Advert
Old 11-25-2023, 05:52 AM   #6
kapqa
Enthusiast
kapqa began at the beginning.

Device: prs-t2, prs-900, kobo sage
the libra is a poor choice when compared to a sony reader, imho.
there a some pro/ for kobo libra, but for pure reading it is no match to the sony reader.
kapqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 06:05 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapqa View Post
there a some pro/ for kobo libra, but for pure reading it is no match to the sony reader.
In what way is it worse, exactly?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 06:13 AM   #8
kapqa
Enthusiast

it has leakage EMF radiation, even with Airplane Mode on;
it has no RSS support > but has Pocket Integration;
Sony Reader has no backlight, it is more perfect for the eyes in terms of readability, but it needs some additional lighting source in darker spots.
Sony does better job at formatting, even battery lasts for weeks-months when not esagerating in use.
i tried only libra 1 and sage (which still use), and both like because of Kobo Ecosystem (alternative to kindle), but dislike to screen quite a bit, even though the seem nice in appearance with buttons etc; but overall, Sony wins by a large margin, if you just want to plain read without distractions.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:21 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The Sony Reader PRS-T3 is a poor choice compared to the Kobo Libra 2.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:26 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Sony Reader has no backlight, it is more perfect for the eyes in terms of readability, but it needs some additional lighting source in darker spots.
Sony does better job at formatting, even battery lasts for weeks-months when not esagerating in use.
i tried only libra 1 and sage (which still use), and both like because of Kobo Ecosystem (alternative to kindle), but dislike to screen quite a bit, even though the seem nice in appearance with buttons etc; but overall, Sony wins by a large margin, if you just want to plain read without distractions.
The T3 is not nearly as good as the Libra 2.

The Libra 2 has a7" screen. Has Carta 1200 for much better contrast and it shows. The firmware is much better. Sony Does not do a better job at formatting. The battery on the Libra 2 lasts a good amount of time. The Libra 2 has options to allow you to use fonts of your choice and to adjust the weight to your choice. There is no way the T3 is better then the Libra 2. I've had Sony Readers and even the T1. The Libra 2 is better then all of the Sony I had.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:36 AM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Hmm. I love the screen of my Libra 2; it's perfect. No way would I want to read on a 10 years old screen with no frontlight.

As to formatting, I take care of that myself, so no complaints there.

RSS, don't use; EMF leakage, don't care. So it's down to battery life vs better screen, more ergonomic shape and far more customizable software. No contest there at all. Of course YMMV.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 09:32 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
RSS is becoming useless.

How are you measuring Kobo ereader "EMF Radiation"? Almost anything with screen, mains PSU or a non-incandescent lamp is orders of magnitude worse.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 06:30 AM   #13
kapqa
Enthusiast

you can check with a multimeter that shows EMF , (RF, Magnetic, Electro);

it is interesting to see how much the newer models emit, when compared to an older Kindle or Sony PRS; the Sage is really concerning level, you could check for yourselves.
even with WiFi off, it still emitting RF, whereas the Sony is near silent; checked only with a semiprofessional multimeter, but the results were consistent.

you hold the item in your hands, so it will effect you more than a PSU which is meters away.
Old 12-02-2023, 07:13 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

it is interesting to see how much the newer models emit, when compared to an older Kindle or Sony PRS; the Sage is really concerning level, you could check for yourselves.
even with WiFi off, it still emitting RF, whereas the Sony is near silent; checked only with a semiprofessional multimeter, but the results were consistent.

you hold the item in your hands, so it will effect you more than a PSU which is meters away.
The newer Readers also have Bluetooth which the older Readers did not have. That could be the difference (maybe).
Old 12-02-2023, 01:20 PM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:

No multimeter is likely to do sensible EMF/RF/EMI measurement. Actually I've never seen any multimeter that measures EMF/RF/EMI.

You need special RF test gear and a screened room.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote