Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-22-2022, 08:57 AM   #16
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Calibre Sync can't do (yet):
- sync back read status/read time (and this is important for me)
- show any kind of progress if initial of sync of 4000+ books happens via Smart Device plugin. Even if it's not initial sync - my regular syncs in CC sometimes take 10+ minutes (like if I add large series in PDF).
- it also can't complete said initial sync - it just times out.
vikarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 09:48 PM   #17
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazookajoe View Post
Thanks @Loosheesh I might look into that as a setup I guess that's to help prevent corruption of the .db due to sync conflicts?
Something like that; I'm not entirely sure. I have my own reasons; I'm very paranoid about my Calibre library and I would never trust the main copy inside a cloud service. I keep it on my hard drive, though I have it copied/backed up in several locations.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2022, 11:32 PM   #18
allanahk
Connoisseur
allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
same here, except that I use dropbox not one drive.
I also use Dropbox to store both of my calibre libraries (split into Fiction and Nonfiction) and sync them with Calibre Sync, it works flawlessly. It's a great way to browse my books and download them onto my phone if wanted (I generally read nonfic on my phone and fic on my kindle)
allanahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 04:51 AM   #19
bazookajoe
Connoisseur
bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.

Device: Onyx Leaf, excessive amount of Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
I'm very paranoid about my Calibre library and I would never trust the main copy inside a cloud service. I keep it on my hard drive, though I have it copied/backed up in several locations.
I routinely backup to external HDD's, though I do keep my main library databases in the cloud...I'll think about getting around that now, your way probably is even safer. Then I can just mess around with InSync on Win to get local HDD to cloud as backups plus then for just for Android app access.

I have over 10K files in non-fiction alone. I'd have a nervous breakdown if I had to re-do the whole library.

Last edited by bazookajoe; 03-23-2022 at 04:54 AM.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 09:36 AM   #20
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
I keep my Calibre library on my hard drive, back it up to my sd card weekly and sync to Dropbox weekly. Move to external hard drives (2) monthly. Like bazookajoe, I'd have a nervous breakdown if I ever lost it.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2022, 01:11 PM   #21
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I keep my Calibre library on my hard drive, back it up to my sd card weekly and sync to Dropbox weekly. Move to external hard drives (2) monthly. Like bazookajoe, I'd have a nervous breakdown if I ever lost it.
Remember if your intention is a full backup of calibre, do include the calibre preferences directory as well

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 02:48 PM   #22
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Remember if your intention is a full backup of calibre, do include the calibre preferences directory as well

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
I do that, and it is a good point for everyone to remember.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 04:53 PM   #23
SoccerDad91016
Enthusiast
SoccerDad91016 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire HD 8, Microsoft Surface Go 3
I am definitely looking for an alternative to Calibre Connect to use with my Chromebook. I have a comic library of over 1,500 comics that I like to sync to my reading devices. Given the size of the library I need the ability to have the comic book files on a SD Card.

This worked great on my older android tablet. However, Calibre Connect does not properly support SD cards on Chrome OS.

I am giving Calibre Sync a try and while initial tests with a handful of files seem to sync just fine, it seems to have a few limitations that are going to prevent me from using Calibre Sync as a replacement:

1. No grouping at all. Calibre Companion lets me keep my Calibre groupings like series, read/unread. Calibre Sync is just a giant list.

2. Does not sync read/unread status. If I mark a book read on Calibre Sync it does not update Calibre library
SoccerDad91016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 02:53 AM   #24
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
"No grouping at all. Calibre Companion lets me keep my Calibre groupings like series, read/unread. Calibre Sync is just a giant list."

look at the various filter options built into C-S- its a different approach to that used by the defunct C-C, but its quite powerful once you adapt
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 07:49 AM   #25
bazookajoe
Connoisseur
bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDad91016 View Post
I am giving Calibre Sync a try and while initial tests with a handful of files seem to sync just fine
Did you get them to open in a reader though? I'm interested in seeing how Chrome O/S handles the SD card in this app as opposed to Calibre Companion.

It does have all the same filters as CC. It's in the option called "Filter" It's a bit annoying that there's no text labels but the icons are all the different filter options. I have 10,500 books. I obviously need tags and series and I can access them fine.

You can also change the view in "Layout", it doesn't have to be a list. Grid will make it look like Calibre Companion (or at least how I have my CC on other devices).
Old 04-10-2022, 07:54 AM   #26
bazookajoe
Connoisseur

Anyone hit issues since upgrading firmware to 3.2.1 (Onyx I should say Onyx duh I forgot I wasn't in the Onyx thread haha)? You might be lucky and have it all set up already so it hasn't impacted you but I've been messing about this whole time so I lost my initial library so had to reselect download folder after upgrade.

As if the OTG situation w/my Leaf wasn't already infuriating enough for me, now, I can't seem to select any folders for download destination other than "Downloads". REAAAAAALLY trying my patience.

If I can't use CC or have my full library down on SD in first place, at least let me put it on internal storage straight in my MoonReader folder. I can't even do that anymore. SIGH.

I'm gonna reset to 3.2 and check then upgrade to 3.2.1 and keep stock without rooting or doing anything incase it's something to do with me and what I've been doing, but I don't have my hopes up. Will update on progress.
Old 04-15-2022, 01:41 PM   #27
SoccerDad91016
Enthusiast
SoccerDad91016 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire HD 8, Microsoft Surface Go 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
"No grouping at all. Calibre Companion lets me keep my Calibre groupings like series, read/unread. Calibre Sync is just a giant list."

look at the various filter options built into C-S- its a different approach to that used by the defunct C-C, but its quite powerful once you adapt
The filter option certainly help, but I have gotten very used to the ability to group by series, then select a series to see all the issues in that series. Rather than search and filter to show only a certain series.

Searching and filtering is great when I know what I'm looking for, but if I'm just browsing my library to see if anything jumps out at me, the grouping helps.

It's a personal preference.
SoccerDad91016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 05:36 PM   #28
Insalata
Zealot
Insalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Sage, iPad
Thanks for mentioning this. I’ve just bought it. It seems to do what I need, and I find the interface more appealing than CC. I’m not sure why it can’t get all the covers, but I can probably live with that.
Insalata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 08:43 PM   #29
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insalata View Post
I’m not sure why it can’t get all the covers, but I can probably live with that.
It took me a while to get all my covers because the app would sometimes stop downloading covers when it went idle, and I kept having to refresh to get it going again. Eventually, I resorted to temporarily removing the auto-lock in the display settings (for iPhone/iPad); that speeded things up and I got all my covers in the end.

That issue only happened with the initial sync; there have been no problems with ongoing library updates.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 03:10 AM   #30
bazookajoe
Connoisseur

Same, I have huge library it takes time and has needs several refreshes. Flagship devices are much faster with minimal issue, my Tab A's and Onyx were really slow and I had to refresh a whole bunch of times. Took hours.

My Tab S6 came down in one go, but even then you can get a few "failed" messages and you need to do a refresh anyway to get the stragglers.

Another thing I noticed on my S20+ when I had to do my one and only refresh, I couldn't it was kinda stuck with the "updating library" (or similar) notification as well, so I had to go into settings and toggle off "Keep libraries up to date" temporarily. Maybe it was a coincidence but that did stop that bug.

Just press the circle/refresh button.

RE: Onyx restricting me to only being able to access Downloads folder, yes it's still doing it and it's annoying to me because I'm lazy and it's the principle of the matter. I worked out how to use FolderSync to work with local files to automatically trigger a move over into my Moon+ Reader folder where I like it out of years of habit lol.

I also like being able to see my fiction library too. CC has kept me to Academic as it's the priority but the multiple libraries function is cool even if I don't read a lot of fiction.

Edit: On devices where I do have large storage space I do still run CC with all files on local storage for Academic just out of sheer habit and CS for fiction and a backup of main non-fiction just in-case. As @SoccerDad91016 I'm a bit set in my ways too lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Refresh.png
Views:	148
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	193279  

Last edited by bazookajoe; 04-17-2022 at 03:20 AM.