Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-24-2020, 10:16 AM   #1
Idward
Idward began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Can I merge (and keep separate) a book in two different languages

I would like to have one entry for a single book and then when opening it up to be able to choose what language I want. For example English vs German. Is this possible or will I have to keep with two separate entries?
Idward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:26 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idward View Post
I would like to have one entry for a single book and then when opening it up to be able to choose what language I want. For example English vs German. Is this possible or will I have to keep with two separate entries?
No! At least in the same format. And then you would not get to choose BY LANGUAGE (you could choose the PDF if that was your German version or EPUB for the English version)
Calibre does have a Language field (in the Tag browser), that would be the Tie-Breaker for a otherwise Duplicate title
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2020, 10:36 AM   #3
Idward

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
No! At least in the same format. And then you would not get to choose BY LANGUAGE (you could choose the PDF if that was your German version or EPUB for the English version)
Calibre does have a Language field (in the Tag browser), that would be the Tie-Breaker for a otherwise Duplicate title
Oh drat! Alright thank you very much.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:42 AM   #4
Idward

I did find a possible workaround I put (german) in front of the author's name. it doesn't affect the sort but it does help me figure out which language the book is in.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:46 AM   #5
uli
Zealot
uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo, Calibre
The aesthetic solution instead having a column with 99% English, is to have flag for other languages:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lang.png
Views:	268
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	176630  
uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2020, 12:00 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idward View Post
I did find a possible workaround I put (german) in front of the author's name. it doesn't affect the sort but it does help me figure out which language the book is in.
There IS a Languages column if you care to make it correct.
You can search for books in a specific Language: eg
Code:
languages:"=English"
The flag idea is nice: Preferences:Look and Feel: Column Icons (a tab)
would be one way to implement it without having the Languages column actually showing itself
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote