Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-17-2018, 10:00 PM   #1
hroberts89436
hroberts89436 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Device per library

So I finally broke down and bought a Kindle. I am already hating it. Unable to hide items on it is horrible. I have over 500 books on Kindle and a couple hundred Audible books. All of these show up in my library even if they aren't downloaded.

Very frustrating....

Anyways to my question. Is it possible to configure a specific device for a library. I have several libraries. One for nook, one for Kobe, one for my wife, my son, in-laws and so forth. But each one of those are Android devices so I never thought about this. If I keep this horrible Kindle is it possible to set the library for it to Kindle so that when I switch to that Library Calibre knows how to handle things without me having to make other changes each time.

If not can someone who has a Kindle (I have an Oasis) provide me the best options I should change each time to ensure books load the best to this crappy device.

Thanks for your help
hroberts89436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:06 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
As for hiding items that are not downloaded, that's entirely possible. Just select Downloaded instead of All on the Kindle homepage.

As to your device per library question, I don't know that such a thing is possible. Calibre usually recognizes the connected device and handles most of the sideloading process automagically. For the first time your Kindle is connected, configure the available formats and other things you want (azw3 is better than mobi for sideloading) by right-clicking on Device -> Configure this device. You don't have to do it repeatedly. I usually convert the books I want on my Kindle to azw3 beforehand.

You can use virtual libraries if you want, each virtual library for a specific device. But you don't have to change anything once you've configured a device the first time. The same goes for metadata plugboards, if you use any. Once you've done it the first time, Calibre will remember it.

Last edited by Sirtel; 08-18-2018 at 05:00 AM. Reason: typo
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2018, 01:10 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hroberts89436 View Post
So I finally broke down and bought a Kindle. I am already hating it. Unable to hide items on it is horrible. I have over 500 books on Kindle and a couple hundred Audible books. All of these show up in my library even if they aren't downloaded.
I seem to remember you had a choice of ALL or DOWNLOADED for displaying books. Check the upper left of the screen for the option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hroberts89436 View Post
Anyways to my question. Is it possible to configure a specific device for a library. I have several libraries. One for nook, one for Kobe, one for my wife, my son, in-laws and so forth. But each one of those are Android devices so I never thought about this. If I keep this horrible Kindle is it possible to set the library for it to Kindle so that when I switch to that Library Calibre knows how to handle things without me having to make other changes each time.

If not can someone who has a Kindle (I have an Oasis) provide me the best options I should change each time to ensure books load the best to this crappy device.

Thanks for your help
You shouldn't need to make many changes if calibre shows your Kindle as the connected device (not sure how an Oasis would show but look at the Connected message at the bottom left of the screen. If you do have some tweaks, you can click on the dropdown arrow for device and select configure device. The tweaks I use with my Kobos and Tolino tend to be on device storage location and file naming.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:37 AM   #4
hroberts89436
hroberts89436 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I understand the all/ downloaded. But the issue comes when I have added a dozen or so books to my library and now on the Kindle need to locate those books so I can download them. That is when it becomes difficult to go thru several hundreds of items in my library to look for the dozen or half dozen books that haven't read.

For me it is because as I am scrolling thru books if I see a cover I like I download it, but I may not remember the title to search for it.
hroberts89436 is offline   Reply With Quote