Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-22-2017, 12:48 AM   #1
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
A million people and no bookstore

"Not having a bookstore, it creates this lack of self-worth."

The Bronx, New York does not any bookstores yet they have 1.4 million people living there and 10 colleges. Here is one resident's plan to change that.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-...d-no-bookstore
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:02 AM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Yes, because it is so far to Queens or Manhattan. It is such a tragedy.

Accidentally erased the rest of my post.
Let's just say that isn't a news story. How about the million people that live one to four hours from the nearest bookstore?
But I guess according to journalists, small town people don't need books.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 05-22-2017 at 01:11 AM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2017, 01:06 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Amazon is my bookstore; I shall not want
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:26 AM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
"Not having a bookstore, it creates this lack of self-worth."

The Bronx, New York does not any bookstores yet they have 1.4 million people living there and 10 colleges. Here is one resident's plan to change that.
It's particularly appalling to think that colleges don't have bookstores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post

Let's just say that isn't a news story. How about the million people that live one to four hours from the nearest bookstore?
Where was that implied, much less stated?

Some small towns have thriving bookstores. Realistically, it takes a commitment on the part of the community they serve, not to shop the storefront but buy from Amazon. But why the snark about this story? Certainly it's regrettable that an area with a population density of over 30,000 per square mile hasn't been able to sustain a bookstore and there are broader conclusions that can be drawn from that.

And just as a corrective, if you're dependent on public transportation as many in New York City are, it can take a long old time from parts of the Bronx to get to the nearest bookstore. And then you have to schlep the books home.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:29 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Harvard University and Harvard Coop.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2017, 08:44 AM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Harvard University and Harvard Coop.
Ownership is irrelevant, if that's your point. The Coop is there. It sells textbooks and other books and all those tacky Harvard tschatkes as well.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:

Ever tried taking public transportation between Queens and the Bronx?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:51 AM   #8
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
And just as a corrective, if you're dependent on public transportation as many in New York City are, it can take a long old time from parts of the Bronx to get to the nearest bookstore. And then you have to schlep the books home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Ever tried taking public transportation between Queens and the Bronx?
You guys beat me to it. It's funny someone would consider an hour much longer than a subway trek from Bronx to a bookstore in Manhattan.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Where was that implied, much less stated?

Some small towns have thriving bookstores. Realistically, it takes a commitment on the part of the community they serve, not to shop the storefront but buy from Amazon. But why the snark about this story? Certainly it's regrettable that an area with a population density of over 30,000 per square mile hasn't been able to sustain a bookstore and there are broader conclusions that can be drawn from that.

I forgot about most people using public transportation in NYC. So my apologies.

Now on the Bronx not technically having a book store, since they have 10 colleges and universities, I wonder if their bookstores and libraries have all the books covered. Or I am assuming the BBC article meant bookstores not associated with an institution.
Without farther research, doesn't the Bronx also have one of the largest public libraries?

Maybe, like you said about the small towns, perhaps the Bronx doesn't have a reader population to sustain a bookstore because they are already being served by the institutions.

You are correct especially in the New England states on the book stores.
Alas in Texas, you have to go to a major city to find even Barnes & Noble.
I see you are in New England. I am in a region known as the Permian Basin.
The two areas have roughly the same land mass I think. The big difference is the towns are farther apart and not sure but many of our small towns are less than 1000 people.
Oh and we have no public transportation to speak of. At least not to go between the towns.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 05-22-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #10
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

Why I basically agree with you, it's a bit unfair a comparison.
People who live 1-4 hours from a bookstore, probably live 20-30 minutes from the nearest place to buy groceries, too, and therefore likely have a vehicle, and it's part of their lifestyle to make trips like that if they want to.

Lots of people in the Bronx may live most of their lives in a routine that keeps them in walking distance of their homes.

[ETA, I see I missed a page, and most of this was already brought up. Oh well, I ain't deletin' nothin'. Fuggetaboutit.]

Last edited by ApK; 05-22-2017 at 11:17 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:27 AM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Why I basically agree with you, it's a bit unfair a comparison.
People who live 1-4 hours from a bookstore, probably live 20-30 minutes from the nearest place to buy groceries, too, and therefore likely have a vehicle, and it's part of their lifestyle to make trips like that if they want to.

Lots of people in the Bronx may live most of their lives in a routine that keeps them in walking distance of their homes.

[ETA, I see I missed a page, and most of this was already brought up. Oh well, I ain't deletin' nothin'. Fuggetaboutit.]
See the post above yours which will completely explain why I shouldn't post late at night.
And actually for cheaper groceries, one town would have the same drive time and most of the others are only a half an hour shorter.
But you are so correct that they are used to it.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:29 AM   #12
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:

I forgot about most people using public transportation in NYC. So my apologies.
No problem, but did you even watch the two-minute linked video that this thread is about? Someone very specifically mentions the problem and complicated route of taking public transportation to the nearest bookstore in Manhattan.

Quote:
Now on the Bronx not technically having a book store, since they have 10 colleges and universities, I wonder if their bookstores and libraries have all the books covered. Or I am assuming the BBC article meant bookstores not associated with an institution.
Without farther research, doesn't the Bronx also have one of the largest public libraries?
It was a video and not an article; again, did you even bother to go to the link? Someone in the video also specifically mentions libraries and is grateful for them but states that they're very limited.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

A quick Google search shows that there were previously bookstores in the Bronx but they closed due to financial issues in 2011.
So my question is now if there have been no bookstores in the Bronx for 6 years, why is it just now making headlines? Note: this is independent book stores (editing after finding out I misread about B&N)
One person said it was a long trek. Out of 30,000 people per square mile, the journalist could only find one person that mentioned how hard it was to get books. That says something right there, though not entirely sure what.
I'm sorry. I really can't wrap my head around this now after doing a bit of my own research.

Though like issybird, I would be more concerned about the bigger issue which is why can't the Bronx support a bookstore.
Two thoughts come to mind.
What is the main demographic of the Bronx?
Some neighborhoods read more than others.
Is it mostly college kids that actually live elsewhere when not attending classes?
And therefore have more access to books.

Could it possibly be with the time frame that Amazon actually killed what little chance a bookstore had there?
Note: the kindle was just coming into being and Amazon was already a large book store. And with free shipping over $25 then, it would probably be easier for most people to order from Amazon then have to trek to the bookstore and lug the books home.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 05-22-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:19 PM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

The last general interest bookstore in the Bronx, a Barnes and Noble, closed in January of this year. I was relieved to discover there are still a few university bookstores.

Two demographic factoids about the Bronx: It's the most diverse area in the country and it's the poorest county in New York State.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
The last general interest bookstore in the Bronx, a Barnes and Noble, closed in January of this year. I was relieved to discover there are still a few university bookstores.

Two demographic factoids about the Bronx: It's the most diverse area in the country and it's the poorest county in New York State.
Thanks for the demographics. That also explains the specialty bookstores I found on a search.
From this, I would infer that the major general interest book readers are the college set and most of them probably use Amazon.