Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-27-2016, 01:28 PM   #1
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur
Mr.Samuel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3, kindle oasis 2
Can I rescue a bricked Kindle Paperwhite 3 without serial port?

My Kindle Paperwhite 3 has just bricked when I modified the /etc/upstart/functions file, when I restart the Kindle, I found it was bricked.
Can I rescue the bricked Kindle Paperwhite 3 without serial port, just by using the USB port to flash the rootfs image to the Kindle?
By the way, is it possible to ask Amazon's customer support to change a new one? I just got this Kindle for less than a week.
Mr.Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:38 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Samuel View Post
My Kindle Paperwhite 3 has just bricked when I modified the /etc/upstart/functions file, when I restart the Kindle, I found it was bricked.
Can I rescue the bricked Kindle Paperwhite 3 without serial port, just by using the USB port to flash the rootfs image to the Kindle?
By the way, is it possible to ask Amazon's customer support to change a new one? I just got this Kindle for less than a week.
Can you see the USB storage area on your PC when you connect the cable?

What all have you installed on the Kindle?
RP? CRP?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur

RP and CRP are all installed on the Kindle, but they can't work during the restart.
I only saw a Usb disk on the computer when the Kindle's power nearly ran out, but can't display the content of the USB storage area
Old 12-27-2016, 02:17 PM   #4
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur

By the way, where can I download the factory image of Kindles?
Old 12-27-2016, 03:00 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
RP and CRP are all installed on the Kindle, but they can't work during the restart.
I only saw a Usb disk on the computer when the Kindle's power nearly ran out, but can't display the content of the USB storage area
If it will not boot far enough for any of that, then it is serial port or return it as 'broke', your choice.

Full image files are at Amazon.com, link to be found at your device's page.
You can open the downloaded update package with KindleTool.

Last edited by knc1; 12-27-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Advert
Old 12-27-2016, 11:14 PM   #6
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If it will not boot far enough for any of that, then it is serial port or return it as 'broke', your choice.

Full image files are at Amazon.com, link to be found at your device's page.
You can open the downloaded update package with KindleTool.
So, the only way to rescue the Kindle is the serial port.
Can I use the USB-TTL adapter which voltage is greater than 1.8V to debrick the Kindle?

Last edited by Mr.Samuel; 12-27-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:34 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
So, the only way to rescue the Kindle is the serial port.
Can I use the USB-TTL adapter which voltage is greater than 1.8V to debrick the Kindle?
The hardware reference manual says: "No"
I do not recommend it, figuring that the hardware engineers that wrote the manual know their subject.

You will find posts here where people have used higher interface voltage devices.
But why risk a hundred dollar device with a make-shift connection?

Go to this page:
http://jim.sh/ftx/#click-where-to-buy
Note that you can now get the recommended adapter from Amazon.com
Also I have posts here about putting that adapter INSIDE of a PW-3.

You don't have to buy 5 of them (that is my browser trying to be helpful), see:
https://www.amazon.com/MicroFTX-Serial-Adapter-FTDI-FT230X/dp/B01GW2EGEK/ref=pd_sbs_147_1
Old 12-28-2016, 11:43 AM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Have you tried putting it on a wall charger for a bit?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:26 AM   #9
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur

I have tried to charge for 3 hours like the Amazon's Customer Support said, but in vain.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:27 PM   #10
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur

What's meaning of "3.Load MMC0 over USB storage " in the recovery menu?
Does it means that I can read and write any partition of the MMC with computer when the USB is connected?
Old 12-31-2016, 04:29 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
What's meaning of "3.Load MMC0 over USB storage " in the recovery menu?
Does it means that I can read and write any partition of the MMC with computer when the USB is connected?
You could if you had one.
But it is only installed on the development board they use.