Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
moofychops
Connoisseur
moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Now Have Aura One and ClaraHD
Kobo Aura White text on Black Background

Hi,

Has anybody succeeded in getting a 'night view' ie white text on a black background, which should give a better contrast reading in bed , trains etc.

If you have could you kindly explain in 'laymans terms' (Homer Simpson terms) how you have done it please.

Thank you.

Ron, Wales, UK

Last edited by moofychops; 07-08-2013 at 02:30 PM.
moofychops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
How about this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212162
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
moofychops
Connoisseur
moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.

John F,
Many thanks for your quick reply. your URL got me started, and all is well.

The only fault I find is that you have to use 100% brightness to make the text readable in the dark.

However having this mode available may be usefull.

Many Thanks.

Ron
Old 07-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
rayhigh
Zealot
rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (wife)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moofychops View Post
John F,
Many thanks for your quick reply. your URL got me started, and all is well.

The only fault I find is that you have to use 100% brightness to make the text readable in the dark.
Ron
Hmm, I've used it at around 10% with no problems on the Aura....
rayhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
moofychops
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhigh View Post
Hmm, I've used it at around 10% with no problems on the Aura....
At 81yrs perhaps I need a little more than you youngters. lol

Ron
Advert
Old 07-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
rayhigh
Zealot
rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (wife)
Quote:
At 81yrs perhaps I need a little more than you youngters. lol

Ron
Thanks for calling me a youngster! Good for a balding old guy to hear!
rayhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
At 81yrs perhaps I need a little more than you youngters.
Kobo has options to increase the font weight, which may make it easier to read in the dark with a lower light setting.

Oh, and there is one thing that I haven't heard other people mention: inverse mode is great on very sunny days. There are times when I've found the reflected sunlight too intense for reading on white pages.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:12 AM   #8
moofychops
Connoisseur

Increasing the weighting is a good idea, and I have been able to to reduce the lighting down to 40%.

The white text on a black background is perfect for reading in bright daylight days out in the garden.

Regards.

Ron Wales UK.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:41 AM   #9
MayorMcCheezewiz
MayorMcCheezewiz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura hd, firmware 3.11.0
new kobo aura hd fw ver 3.11.0

hi everybody

I recently got the kobo aura hd after researching, reading blogs, watching videos, and the white on black was the necessity for me.
I've been reading on my samsung galaxy y with the kindle app, and doing it in bed in the low light, using white on black screen.

the kobo back light is way too bright, even at 1%, keeps the wife awake.

I didn't think far enough ahead, about firmware versions tho.

I've installed the "hack" 10 or 15 times and the kobo seems to remove it from the device.

I've read about tweaking the (for the lack of a better term) the config sys thingy with some commands, I just don't want to brick this thing, I'm new into all this techie cool stuff and would love some advice, or if someone knows of a hack for 3.11.0 firmware that google can't seem to find.

Thanks
MayorMcCheezewiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:30 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If by rememoved from the device you mean that the KoboRot.tgz file gets dropped, its working as designed.

The installation of a modification on the device involves IT expanding the KoboRoot.tgz and copying the files where they need to go on the device and then the KoboRoot.tgz gets deleted.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:17 AM   #11
seabert001
seabert001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
kobo aura h2o 3.19

Hi,

I have searched all over to find a way to invert my new Kobo Aura H2O. I've tried all kinds of ways, but i still can't succeed in inverting my colors. I insalled the tool, but it is not working. Can anybody help me?

KoboLauncher: Add:
Night Mode = /mnt/onboard/.kobo/nightmode.sh
to .kobo/KoboLauncher/kobo_launcher.ini
or KoboTweaks: (not working on 2.6+) Add:
Night Mode=tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"/mnt/onboard/.kobo/nightmode.sh\")
to .kobo/kobotewaks.ini

I don't have the .kobo/Kobolauncher in the folder, only a nightmode.ini file

thanx
seabert001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:00 AM   #12
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabert001 View Post
Hi,

I have searched all over to find a way to invert my new Kobo Aura H2O. I've tried all kinds of ways, but i still can't succeed in inverting my colors. I insalled the tool, but it is not working. Can anybody help me?

KoboLauncher: Add:
Night Mode = /mnt/onboard/.kobo/nightmode.sh
to .kobo/KoboLauncher/kobo_launcher.ini
or KoboTweaks: (not working on 2.6+) Add:
Night Mode=tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"/mnt/onboard/.kobo/nightmode.sh\")
to .kobo/kobotewaks.ini

I don't have the .kobo/Kobolauncher in the folder, only a nightmode.ini file

thanx
You can use the mod in this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=512 to enable night mode without any other mods installed. Once installed you can plug your Kobo back in and find the settings file to tweak them to your preference, personally I have mine set to 4 seconds on 100% brightness, after night mode turns on you'll need to adjust the brightness away from whatever you have it set to.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:41 PM   #13
seabert001
seabert001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
You can use the mod in this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=512 to enable night mode without any other mods installed. Once installed you can plug your Kobo back in and find the settings file to tweak them to your preference, personally I have mine set to 4 seconds on 100% brightness, after night mode turns on you'll need to adjust the brightness away from whatever you have it set to.
so where sould is input what data? and how do i activate it on my device?

[brightness]
1percentPatch = yes
# yes / no : Nickel set brightness to 2% even when on UI it is set to 1%

# this patch will force brightenss to 1% when:

# - it was set to 1%, then set to 0% (for instance: stand-by) then changed again to "what Nickel says is 2%"

# - it was set to 3%, then set to 1% then changed again to "what Nickel says is 2%"
timeout = 7
# time in seconds, after brightness is set (and maintained) to a given level, to toggle the action set to that level
#
# syntax for associating the trigger of an action when brightness is set to X%:
## X=<command/script>
## special actions:
#
# - toggleNightMode: toggle Nightmode on / off
#
# - enableNightMode: force enabling Nightmode
#
# - disableNightMode: force disabling Nightmode
3 = toggleNightMode
# when brightness is set to 3% : toggle Nightmode

# some examples of invoking any script when brightness is set to X% for at least TIMEOUT seconds

#4 = touch /mnt/onboard/hello.world
#5 = touch /mnt/onboard/hello.world.async &

Last edited by seabert001; 03-20-2016 at 12:47 PM.
seabert001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:43 PM   #14
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabert001 View Post
so where sould is input what data? and how do i activate it on my device?

[brightness]
1percentPatch = yes
# yes / no : Nickel set brightness to 2% even when on UI it is set to 1%

# this patch will force brightenss to 1% when:

# - it was set to 1%, then set to 0% (for instance: stand-by) then changed again to "what Nickel says is 2%"

# - it was set to 3%, then set to 1% then changed again to "what Nickel says is 2%"
timeout = 7
# time in seconds, after brightness is set (and maintained) to a given level, to toggle the action set to that level
#
# syntax for associating the trigger of an action when brightness is set to X%:
## X=<command/script>
## special actions:
#
# - toggleNightMode: toggle Nightmode on / off
#
# - enableNightMode: force enabling Nightmode
#
# - disableNightMode: force disabling Nightmode
3 = toggleNightMode
# when brightness is set to 3% : toggle Nightmode

# some examples of invoking any script when brightness is set to X% for at least TIMEOUT seconds

#4 = touch /mnt/onboard/hello.world
#5 = touch /mnt/onboard/hello.world.async &
That doesn't appear to be from the mod I mentioned, at least not the file that is specified.

If you used the mod I linked to, the correct file to open is in the .kobo directory which is in the root directory of your H2O. The file is nightmode.ini

Open that file with a text editor that respects linux line breaks

Quote:
# config file for kobo-nightmode

[state]
invertActive = yes
retainStateOverRestart = yes

[control]
longPressDurationMS = 800
lightButtonAction = toggleNightMode
lightButtonCommand = /mnt/onboard/.kobo/testScript.sh

[nightmode]
refreshScreenPages = 0

[brightness]
1percentPatch = yes
timeout = 4
100 = toggleNightMode
these settings will get you the settings I have, the ones to note are 'timeout' and = toggleNightMode. The '4' is four seconds, and 100% is the required percentage for the frontlight to be set to. Once Night Mode activates you'd need to adjust at least one percent off of 100% or it'll flip between normal and night mode every 4 seconds.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote