Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #1
ire
ire began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura HD
Kobo aura HD stuck in sleep mode

It is running the latest firmware (I updated 2-3 days ago).

As the title suggests I am stuck in the sleep mode.

When I was finished reading yesterday I simply put the device in sleep mode. The next day pressing the power button did nothing. There is also no response to the long press on the power button.
Pushing the reset button on the bottom makes the notification light blink a few times but the screen still shows only the sleep mode state. Factory reset (holding the light and power button) make the light blink a bit faster but no change on screen.
The device obviously doesn't get recognised when plugged in a pc.

Also, warranty ran out a few months ago.

I've already had trouble with this device before such as the device freezing every 6 pages, some clicks didn't register, etc. I did a factory reset and it didn't solve any of those but I could still keep using it. There is no hardware damage as far as I'm aware.

Any advice would be welcome. Willing to provide any other necessary information.

TLDR: Stuck with the sleep mode screen, preforming factory reset with the buttons does nothing other than make the notification light blink. Also had trouble with the device in the past.
ire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:50 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
As a starting point, have you plugged it into power (preferably to a wall outlet) for an hour or two? Really sounds like it's out of power. Could have been something that didn't shut down properly and has now drained it way down which is why it's not showing anything when initially plugged into USB.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2016, 07:18 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
When all else fails like Robko said plug it in and forget it for a few hours.
Then try turning it on.
If any device is out of power, it will do nothing.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:54 AM   #4
ire

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
As a starting point, have you plugged it into power (preferably to a wall outlet) for an hour or two? Really sounds like it's out of power. Could have been something that didn't shut down properly and has now drained it way down which is why it's not showing anything when initially plugged into USB.
I've let it charge for the whole night. No changes.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:24 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ire View Post
I've let it charge for the whole night. No changes.
Then while it still has power, do a factory reset:

- Hold the power switch in the off position for 20 seconds to ensure the device is off.
- Hold the light button down and turn it on.
- When the LED starts flashing or the screen changes, release the light button.

If that doesn't work, try again, but wait longer at each step.

If it still doesn't work, it might be a broken screen. Take a photo of the screen and post it as an attachment so we can look at it. We're looking for any unusual lines on the screen.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2016, 07:06 AM   #6
ire

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Then while it still has power, do a factory reset:

- Hold the power switch in the off position for 20 seconds to ensure the device is off.
- Hold the light button down and turn it on.
- When the LED starts flashing or the screen changes, release the light button.

If that doesn't work, try again, but wait longer at each step.

If it still doesn't work, it might be a broken screen. Take a photo of the screen and post it as an attachment so we can look at it. We're looking for any unusual lines on the screen.
I've also tried the factory reset like I mentioned in the main post.
Nothing looks unusual on the screen. See pic 1.
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 1.jpg
Views:	1984
Size:	578.5 KB
ID:	147202
Pic 2: While doing the factory reset the notification light quickly blinks while nothing is going on on the screen.
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 2.jpg
Views:	1804
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	147203
Don't mind it being in Japanese. It's showing exactly what it's supposed to.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:07 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've also tried the factory reset like I mentioned in the main post.
Yes, you did say that. But, if you did what you said in that post, then you didn't actually do a factory reset. The device MUST be powered off for a factory reset using the buttons to work.
Quote:
Nothing looks unusual on the screen. See pic 1.
Attachment 147202
Pic 2: While doing the factory reset the notification light quickly blinks while nothing is going on on the screen.
Attachment 147203
Don't mind it being in Japanese. It's showing exactly what it's supposed to.
The only thing I can see is a line across the screen just above the bottom edge of the cover. But it doesn't look like a typical broken screen.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:29 AM   #8
ire

Quote:
Yes, you did say that. But, if you did what you said in that post, then you didn't actually do a factory reset. The device MUST be powered off for a factory reset using the buttons to work.
The light starts blinking much faster than usual when attempting the factory reset. I guess it doesn't do anything other than show the light now though, you're right.

Any advice? What can I even do in this situation?
Old 03-20-2016, 09:19 AM   #9
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's broken in some way, I don't think there is anything you can do.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:39 AM   #10
ire

Would opening the device and putting the battery in and out maybe do something?
I've seen some people with similar problems mention that.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:52 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The light starts blinking much faster than usual when attempting the factory reset. I guess it doesn't do anything other than show the light now though, you're right.
How long is the light flashing for? A few seconds, or a lot longer?

If it is only a few seconds, that usually means the battery is flat. Some of these problems are because of a run-away process consuming power and running he battery down quickly. My usual factory reset steps starts with "charge for at least an hour".

If the flashes last longer, it might actually be doing the factory reset but the screen isn't working.

Quote:
Would opening the device and putting the battery in and out maybe do something?
I've seen some people with similar problems mention that.
Maybe. But, it would also give you a chance to reseat the internal micro SD card and check the screen cable is plugged in OK. You can also try restoring an image to the card and seeing if that fixes it.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:30 AM   #12
ire

Quote:
How long is the light flashing for? A few seconds, or a lot longer?
The flashes last longer.

Quote:
Maybe. But, it would also give you a chance to reseat the internal micro SD card and check the screen cable is plugged in OK. You can also try restoring an image to the card and seeing if that fixes it.
So as far as I understand I'm supposed to
- open the device up,
- check if the screen cable is plugged in,
- take the SD card at the bottom out and install the firmware (from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660) to that card and put it back together.

Did I understand correctly?
Old 03-21-2016, 11:02 AM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
There is an internal uSD card holder that has a card in it for the system and a user area. You can replace the 4GB card it comes with, with a larger one. The external uSD card, at the bottom, is not part of this and normally has no system partition, no firmware.

If you want to try disconnecting the battery, use a toothpick to probe around the connector and see which way it disconnects. As I remember it, it was straight up.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 03-21-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:20 PM   #14
ire

Update!
After putting the lid off I tried to turn it on again and the screen did react a bit.
Pic: Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 3.jpg
Views:	1228
Size:	325.7 KB
ID:	147251

This pretty much confirms that the screen is broken doesn't it?
Is there any point in checking the battery and reinstalling the firmware on the sd card?
Old 03-21-2016, 12:36 PM   #15
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Looks like it to me, sorry. Not much point, other than as practice or to fiddle with it.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, kobo aura hd, loop, sleep mode, stuck