Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #1
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Notification about new editions

I've set my paperwhite to automatically download updated or fixed editions of ebooks that I've purchased. I'm curious to find out if I could get notifications about the availability of newly updated editions on Amazon's site, instead of receiving them automatically? That way I can choose when to download them.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:00 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Go to the "Manage Your Kindle" page and switch off "Automatic Book Update".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2014, 03:14 AM   #3
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

If I turned that off, I wouldn't be able to know if any ebook has a new version at all.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:16 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes you would. Amazon send you an email when an update is available, and there will be a "Books with available updates" category in the drop-down filter at the top of the MYK page.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:28 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
How about if I own a copy of the book and I am not currently reading it, its in my library? Would amazon update the book in my library? My current two books are not from amazon, they are library books, thus I do not think that amazon would update those for me? However I would be interested in notifications if one of my current two books was updated, I would speak with the library and get them to get the update.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I have had book updates available that Amazon did not send me notices about.

If you turn automatic book update off, your books will not be updated in your library. You would have to manually update each book.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
A related question:

If I receive an updated edition of a book I already own, is there an easy way to find out exactly what has been updated? Or do I have to read the whole book to find out? I guess I'm looking for a "What's new in this edition" feature.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Save the old and new versions, and use Calibre's "compare books" feature. It will tell you exactly what's changed.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I have had book updates available that Amazon did not send me notices about.

If you turn automatic book update off, your books will not be updated in your library. You would have to manually update each book.
Yes, that's the whole point of turning it off: to allow you to choose whether or not to update it.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:07 AM   #10
greenapple
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes you would. Amazon send you an email when an update is available, and there will be a "Books with available updates" category in the drop-down filter at the top of the MYK page.
The email and the menu item would only appear when I disabled the auto download of updates?

I ask because I didn't receive any email about updates (though I've had 2 books automatically updated on my PW) and I didn't (and still don't) see any view filter about updates on the MYK page.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:06 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You only get an email about major updates. Minor ones just appear in the "Books with available updates" category. If you don't see that category, it means you don't have any updates.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #12
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
The email and the menu item would only appear when I disabled the auto download of updates?
One can (and I did) get an email even with the Automatic Book Update feature turned on.

== quote
Hello ()

Although you turned on the Automatic Book Update feature on the Manage Your Kindle, we were unable to automatically deliver an updated version of your past Kindle purchase of 250+ Best Kindle Fire HDX and HD Apps for the New Kindle Fire Owner (Over 200 FREE APPS) by Tom Edwards for the following reason(s):

This book has undergone significant changes, so any bookmarks, notes, or highlights you've made will not transfer over to the new version of the book.

The updated version contains the following changes:

Significant editorial changes have been made.

You can get the updated version of this book by going to Manage Your Kindle. Find the book in your Kindle Library, click on the "Update Available" link next to the book's title, and then follow the update prompts. All your devices that have the eBook currently downloaded will be updated automatically the next time they connect to wireless
==

(I didn't have any bookmarks, notes, or highlights for this book)
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #13
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Save the old and new versions, and use Calibre's "compare books" feature. It will tell you exactly what's changed.
Thanks, Harry. I never knew (or had forgotten) that you could do that.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Thanks, Harry. I never knew (or had forgotten) that you could do that.

Mike
It's a new Calibre feature. Only added a few weeks ago.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #15
jeffyen
Connoisseur
jeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW2
This is the perspective from the book publisher's POV.

https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A1RGGPBKDR1BPZ
jeffyen is offline   Reply With Quote