Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
littlebe
littlebe began at the beginning.

Device: Nextbook 2
Kindle won't read epubs

I have a Kindle 3 and when I put e-pub's on it they do not show up on the book. But when I put mo-bi on it they show up. I've checked to see on calibre if the e-pub is checked and it is, the e-pubs still don't show up. What am I doing wrong or is this kindle messed up? thanks LB
littlebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
Gondolkodo
Gondolkodo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd gen)
Fix me if I'm wrong, but the Kindle can not handle ePub files. Mobi, PRC and AZW is supported, but the ePub not.

P.S.: Wiki article
Quote:
...EPUB is not supported by kindle devices and Amazon sells eBooks in the KF8 and AZW formats.
Gondolkodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebe View Post
What am I doing wrong or is this kindle messed up?
What you're doing wrong is trying to read a format your Kindle doesn't support. Convert the ePub's to Mobi in Calibre and use those instead.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Is this a joke?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolkodo View Post
Fix me if I'm wrong, but the Kindle can not handle ePub files. Mobi, PRC and AZW is supported, but the ePub not.

P.S.: Wiki article
HawHill's Kpdf does, but the interface for your K4NT is not yet ready.
It does run on the O.P.s K3:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157047

Last edited by knc1; 06-13-2012 at 10:23 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
morantis
Zealot
morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morantis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If they can be handled, are you putting them in the right directory?
morantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
littlebe

Thank you guys for the replies. It's just that my wives kindle 3 will read e-pubs and my brother-in-law's will too. I just bought this one used and it won't read e-pubs but if I convert them to mobi it will read them. I guess I'll just have to convert them. They are all Kindle 3 with the keyboard. thanks LB
Old 06-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
No, your wife's K3 will not read ePub. Nor will your brother-in-law's K3. The Kindles do not read ePub. It could be that you only think they read ePub as when you send content to them via Calibre, it gets converted to Mobipocket for you without your noticing.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No, your wife's K3 will not read ePub. Nor will your brother-in-law's K3. The Kindles do not read ePub. It could be that you only think they read ePub as when you send content to them via Calibre, it gets converted to Mobipocket for you without your noticing.
Kindle's with certain hacks will read ePub's.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Given that the OP doesn't actually know that a box standard Kindle doesn't handle ePub, I would doubt highly that these other two K3s would have such a hack.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
littlebe

Sorry, you guys are correct. I just checked my wives kindle and they are all mobi. thanks for the help! LB
Old 06-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #12
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
This was the one of the most interesting arguments on the Developer's Corner.

thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #13
alaiksander
Enthusiast
alaiksander began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.1.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Does the hack support KT?
I currently use hackedUp Reader for epubs
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
This was the one of the most interesting arguments on the Developer's Corner.

LOL
alaiksander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I think hackedUp Reader (i.e. "coolreader for the ktouch") is the way to go for now on the KT. It will still take a while until our major revamp of KPdfViewer (probably using a different name that more closely expresses the supported formats, like e.g. "unireader" or something like that) is ready. It is intended to support all Kindle models in the end. However, the K4 will probably have precedence...

Last edited by hawhill; 06-18-2012 at 10:01 AM.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote