Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-27-2011, 11:34 PM   #31
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I'm new to the iPad club. I've had mine all of maybe 24 hours! Of that 24 hours, I lost six to sleep, about that many more to school assignments, and a few more to an out of town jaunt this afternoon. So we're still getting acquainted, the iPad and I.

So far though: I love the screen! I've been juggling back and forth reading on my Asus T91MT convertible netbook/tablet and my Sony 950 for awhile... I can read on either screen technology with no eyestrain. I absolutely am in love with the iBooks interface.

I've found some neat apps, among them the absolute best Mahjongg game I have ever played. I also found Bejeweled, a piano app, and a very cool Weather app that I can add places to.
I want a general converter for volume, temperature, etc. and a world clock. I've found both in the app store, but I've found so MANY of them I can't decide.
I also would like a sketchpad app.
The only issue I have so far is conflicting reviews of so many of the apps in the App Store, making it hard to decide what to get.
I also need some sort of way to prop it at an angle for easier typing. Yes, I know they make myriad solutions for this, I just haven't gotten one yet.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #32
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
I also hate your ipad. Don't know why. I've never met it.

Last edited by spellbanisher; 02-27-2011 at 11:40 PM.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 01:10 AM   #33
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
Perhaps
Both the iElectribe R and the iMS-20 are easily capable of producing quality, production sounds.
The Gorillaz guy used his ipad with touchOSC and various other stuff to write their whole new album.

The only limitations are self-imposed
cool.. I didn't know about touchOSC before.
still, it only seems useful as a synth/drum machine. so I guess if you're talking about electronic music it has less limitations.
I'm more of a real instruments type of guy and I don't think I'll be using it anytime soon to record a drum track say...
Unless you can fill me in on something?
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #34
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
cool.. I didn't know about touchOSC before.
still, it only seems useful as a synth/drum machine. so I guess if you're talking about electronic music it has less limitations.
I'm more of a real instruments type of guy and I don't think I'll be using it anytime soon to record a drum track say...
Unless you can fill me in on something?
Dunno, i've been producing/DJ'ing electronic stuff for ages so i'm not so up on the 'real instruments' stuff.
I doubt you'd use it for a recording device, but it could potentially be very handy for laying down a midi drum track to sketch out your ideas and help with the writing process. I certainly use the iElectribe R for that all the time.
I'm sure there are apps out there using realistic samples for just this kind of purpose and i can only see that increasing as the big names keep coming across (native instruments, BFD etc) and with the announcement of the iPad2 imminent.

Anyway, don't hate your iPad! Just use and abuse it with recognition of some of the limitations you will have.
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #35
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
Well, I bought my iPad to use as my main tablet(I had a Windows 7 one before), not to read eBooks on it, for this I have a Kindle DX
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #36
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

Device: prs600
I still need Flash, sorry, sold my ipad to buy a samsung galaxy
cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #37
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I only hate when people lose their sanity and begin hanging around with a strange gaze in the eyes checking their coworkers if they are buying an Apple next... true story, just happened here...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #38
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
What's the big deal with Flash?
I've never missed it as yet... I'm not bashing here, just wondering what i'm supposed to be missing out on!
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #39
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've never missed it as yet... I'm not bashing here, just wondering what i'm supposed to be missing out on!
all my favorite ads are done with flash!
Old 03-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #40
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
depends on the person. personally, i LOVE playing point and click games on the internet (ex. submachine series), and they require flash. of course, others may have different reasons.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #41
Stefx
Enthusiast
Stefx began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
http://www.slate.com/id/2285434/

yep. I'm pretty much in agreement.
he doesn't mention actual book reading but I think it fails there too.
Like him, I would like to know how I'm wrong.

*I hope this is in the right section.*
The guy in the article bought an iPad because he felt left out

I think this person needs to re-evaluate his decision-making process. I'm not interested in opinions from people who buy stuff out of fear of being left out
Stefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #42
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
"A man who hates his iPad hates life." - Dr. Johnson
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #43
bZkindle
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefx View Post
The guy in the article bought an iPad because he felt left out

I think this person needs to re-evaluate his decision-making process. I'm not interested in opinions from people who buy stuff out of fear of being left out
haha. nice. thanks for pointing that out.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #44
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
many online shopping site use flash and java scripts as well as many video's from with websites. I think if you had a flash tablet and an ipad and scoured the internet going to mulitple websites using both in a test you'll find out exactly what your are missing.

i always find it funny how iPad owners are with Flash as the same as kindle owners are with ePub. it's the whole " Who needs it" sorto of poo poo it when in fact Flash and ePub would be welcomed with open arms on the respective devices but since it's a feature you don't have the instictive defense mechanism always kicks in. ( I don't need it)
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #45
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

i always find it funny how iPad owners are with Flash as the same as kindle owners are with ePub. it's the whole " Who needs it" sorto of poo poo it when in fact Flash and ePub would be welcomed with open arms on the respective devices but since it's a feature you don't have the instictive defense mechanism always kicks in. ( I don't need it)
Or maybe some Kindle owners really don't care about other formats, as they are happy with the Amazon Store as it is. And, some iPad owners really don't care about Flash or miss it at all, despite what you might believe or find funny about either group. But I realize this might be difficult for you to understand.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote