Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-12-2023, 11:24 PM   #1
oston
Enthusiast
oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Libra 2
Problems installing Plugins on a Mac

I am not sure if I have installed Sigil correctly on my new Mac Mini M2. I am completely new to Macs.
Sigil seems to be running OK, but in Manage Plugins the option to use the bundled Python is greyed out. But Auto does enter the path to Python3.

And after adding the Epubcheck plugin V 0.4.6.3. I get the following error when trying to run it.
=====================
Running EPUBCheck 5.0.0... please wait.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/MacPorts/Sigil.app/Contents/plugin_launchers/python/launcher.py", line 142, in launch
self.exitcode = target_script.run(container)
File "/Users/jhswi/Library/Application Support/sigil-ebook/sigil/plugins/EpubCheck/plugin.py", line 506, in run
parsed_json = json.loads(stdout)
File "/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Library/Frameworks/Python3.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/json/__init__.py", line 346, in loads
return _default_decoder.decode(s)
File "/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Library/Frameworks/Python3.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/json/decoder.py", line 337, in decode
obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end())
File "/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Library/Frameworks/Python3.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/json/decoder.py", line 355, in raw_decode
raise JSONDecodeError("Expecting value", s, err.value) from None
json.decoder.JSONDecodeError: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)
Error: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)
=============

I also get a similar error with the AccessAide plugin, saying that the PIL module is not installed.

What step have I missed when installing Sigil? Is it OK to just delete Sigil and start over from scratch?

Thanks
Jim
oston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 08:58 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Try reinstalling. Our Sigil for macOS that we release comes with its own internal (bundled) python3 which has a number of python modules pre installed to handle plugins.

Somehow that is not working for you. Where did you get you Sigil download from?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 09:13 AM   #3
oston
Enthusiast
oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Many thanks Kevin. I downloaded the Mac version from the Sigil website.
I just tried to re-install Sigil, bu unpacking the file on the desktop and dragging the Sigil.app file to the apps folder icon on the apps bar.
But nothing happens after that. I don't know how to uninstall Sigil. I tried dragging from teh apps folder to the trash can, but that did not work.

Sorry for all the beginner questions. I only got the Mac 3 days ago.
Jim
Old 04-13-2023, 09:44 AM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You do not need to uninstall the old Sigil version, just overwrite it with the new Sigil app.

My guess is something related to security is stopping Sigil's internal Python build from running. Probably a Quarantine flag. I once posted an unquaratine drag and drop utility that may help.

Let me look for it.

Update:

I found it here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=97

You can try downloading and installing that Droplet app on your Desktop following those instructions. Once installed, download a fresh copy of the Sigil app. And before unpacking it drag and drop it on the UnQuarantineDroplet.app and let it remove the Quaratine flag Apple adds to things downloaded from the internet (whether trusted or not).

Then unpack it and drag and drop Sigil.app into the Applications folder to overwrite the older version.

Then go to Applications and right click on Sigil.app and say open. If macOS complains simply right click on the Sigil.app and select open once again.

It should open up and function nicely. If not, please let me know.

FYI: Do not try to run anything from the macOS Downloads folder. It is protected by macOS.

Last edited by KevinH; 04-13-2023 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-13-2023, 10:01 AM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Please see my update above.
Old 04-13-2023, 10:05 AM   #6
oston
Enthusiast

Thanks for the help, Kevin.

Some progress, but not quite there yet!!

I was finally able to delete the previous installation. I could not find the app in Finder at first, but eventually found it in a folder called MacPorts which also contained the Python Launcher.
I deleted the Sigil app from there and reinstalled by dragging the sigil app to the applications folder in Finder.

This time I was able to check the box to use the bundled Python .
The AccessAide and TestPlugin worked.
But the Epubcheck plugin gave this error message.

====
File "/Applications/Sigil.app/Contents/plugin_launchers/python/launcher.py", line 142, in launch
File "/Users/jhswi/Library/Application Support/sigil-ebook/sigil/plugins/EpubCheck/plugin.py", line 506, in run
File "json/__init__.py", line 346, in loads
File "json/decoder.py", line 337, in decode
File "json/decoder.py", line 355, in raw_decode
File "/Applications/Sigil.app/Contents/plugin_launchers/python/launcher.py", line 142, in launch
=====

I think I must have done something weird the first time I installed it and some side effects are lingering perhaps.
Old 04-13-2023, 10:30 AM   #7
oston
Enthusiast

I think our posts crossed, Kevin.
Sigil is running fine for the AccessAide and testplugin plugins now.
Is it still necessary to use the unquarantine applet and re-install with an UnQuarantined Sigil?
Old 04-13-2023, 10:32 AM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer

So you did not originally download Sigil from our release page and instead downloaded it from MacPorts, That is not something I recommend as it appears they do not bundle the Python3 Interpreter properly, do not include the required python modules, do not make the app and python moveable, etc.

My guess is the epubcheck error is because of a missing java jdk installation. It needs to find the jdk. I install the java jdk from Oracle on my machine (not the jre) or you can try the openjava jdk.

Glad to hear you are getting closer.

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by oston View Post
Thanks for the help, Kevin.

Some progress, but not quite there yet!!

I was finally able to delete the previous installation. I could not find the app in Finder at first, but eventually found it in a folder called MacPorts which also contained the Python Launcher.
I deleted the Sigil app from there and reinstalled by dragging the sigil app to the applications folder in Finder.

This time I was able to check the box to use the bundled Python .
The AccessAide and TestPlugin worked.
But the Epubcheck plugin gave this error message.

====
=====

I think I must have done something weird the first time I installed it and some side effects are lingering perhaps.
Old 04-13-2023, 10:34 AM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oston View Post
I think our posts crossed, Kevin.
Sigil is running fine for the AccessAide and testplugin plugins now.
Is it still necessary to use the unquarantine applet and re-install with an UnQuarantined Sigil?
No but I think it is useful to have at times for installing trusted apps.

Your choice.
Old 04-13-2023, 10:41 AM   #10
oston
Enthusiast

Thanks, Kevin. I will keep if for possible future use.

Can you help with the Epubcheck plugin error? I copied the Lib and .jar files to the epubcheck folder as Doitsu suggested but that did not work. ?
Old 04-13-2023, 10:59 AM   #11
oston
Enthusiast

Problem solved Kevin.
I installed the Pagina Epubcheck app and when I ran it, I was told that I needed Java to be installed.
After doing that, the epubcheck plugin worked in Sigil.
Looks like everything is fine now.
Many thanks for the help
Jim
Old 04-13-2023, 12:24 PM   #12
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Glad to hear it.
Old 04-13-2023, 01:10 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The Homebrew Sigil cask looks like it might be a straight-up download/installation of the official Sigil installer for those who may not want to mess with the fiddly bits. But I leave the official MacOS recommendations to the experts.

https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew...Casks/sigil.rb

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-13-2023 at 01:49 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 01:38 PM   #14
KevinH
Sigil Developer

It is. But MacPorts builds it own and includes a native arm64 build for Apple M1 and M2 processors. Unfortunately they do not bundle Python3 nor include the required Python3 modules.

Tags
mac mini m2, plugin, sigil 1.9.20